1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New gov't rules: unapproved iPhone apps, break cell phone access controls

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by phrelin, Jul 26, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From the AP via Yahoo:
    See the list in linked story.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The implications aren't simple. This is about the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). From ars technica:
    And while it isn't all about iPhones, apparently the initial focus is going to be on them. Consider this discussion in a PC Magazine article:
    And this from Information Week:
    Once the discussion moves beyond Apple, AT&T and the iPhone, the ruling's implications are going to be discovered.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    This is definitely going to be big, but it's no surprise that Apple is the initial focus. The press LOVES Apple and talking about Apple. That and the Apple/AT&T agreement has been in the tech press almost daily for over 4 years...

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There's a lot more to this than meets the eye. I personally think it's a step in the right direction, essentially decriminalizing the fair use of things you own. However, just as the DMCA was created to stem the beginnings of a storm of blatant abuse, its loosening may bring that storm back. It's too early to tell right now.

5. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Hey for someone that has had a Palm Pre and now the HTC Evo, I think this is a win for at least the end consumer. It sucks that they have to come out with a "regulation" or a "law" to allow this. The consumers will just go to who they like and who would allow "jailbreaking" if that what they wanna do.

I have "jailbroken" things before and this is one of the major reasons I didn't like the iPhone, to restrictive. That and AT&T sucks in the places I traval! :)

So again. Good to hear but we've all done it. :grin:

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I guess I keep missing the point of jailbreaking anyway...

I knew before buying my iPhone about the app store and that only apps from there were accessible by my iPhone. Actually the app store was a selling point to me.

I don't really want to do other things with my iPhone. IF I wanted to do other things with it, I would have bought something else.

I can put a new engine in my car, but Chevrolet wouldn't support my car anymore if I did that... and I wouldn't expect them to. IF I was planning on putting a new engine in my car, I likely would have bought something else to start with.

It's just one of those "restrictions" that doesn't seem restrictive to me... since people have the choice of lots of phones, smartphones, and other devices... AND on top of that, if you're willing to no longer look for support from Apple, then you can really do what you want with your phone too.

Unlocking at least serves a purpose... if you go out of the country, for example, and couldn't use AT&T but could use your phone with another carrier... so while I don't unlock either, I can at least see why that would be something people might need.

7. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I guess unlocking/rooting/jailbreaking just appeals to the CEr in some of us. :D
    We aren't content with the way things are, we want to see what they could be on the cutting edge.