1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New GUI?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by scottbu123, Jun 21, 2010.

1. scottbu123

scottbu123 Cool Member

Jan 4, 2008
    On Fox News channel, I saw a Directv commercial advertising the Sonic Tap radio stations. It showed a channel banner and guide with a different GUI...it dar a darker blue. Could this possibly be a new GUI?

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Probably just a mock up. Unfortunately, this is one area that they don't seem overly interested in improving.

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    IIRC, that commercial has been discussed already and it appears to a mockup.

Mike

4. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Mike,

DirecTV has recently started airing two brand new commercials since the first commercial and the initial discussion first began.

This time, it's obvious that the "new" GUI is a mockup, but it does show the same color scheme as before, which is "interesting"... :sure:

~Alan

5. scottbu123

scottbu123 Cool Member

Jan 4, 2008
    You guys are probably right....here's the pics anyway :)

Attached Files:

6. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Is that some kind of visual screensaver in time with the music like computer media players often have? :eek:

That'd be a BIG stretch for an ad agency to create from scratch. :confused:

7. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Sure looked that way on the commercial... :confused:

Though it was obviously a mockup, I will go on record as stating that I firmly believe it to be somewhat based in truth...

We shall see...

~Alan

8. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    A McDonald hamberger looks a lot different on a commercial then what you acutually get;)

IMHO the screen shots lately are just graphics the ads producers are putting together and not a 'sneak peak' of some new GUI.

9. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yeah, I remember a while back when ad producers put together some graphics for some ads.

It was extremely similar to the GUI we have now... ;)

~Alan

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You mean like the guide GUI in the Movers Connection ads which some folks in a early testing program might have seen first?;)

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I will say, that compared to Dish and some of the cable GUIs I've seen, DirecTV's GUI is VERY vanilla. That might be a good thing. Simple is sometimes better. But it does seem a bit old fashioned in some respects. Still, remember the blue on white? Compared to that, this is a whole lot better.

12. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    However, with McDonalds they don’t change the design of the burger, they just make it look better.

To me this means one of two things:

1. A new GUI is in the works.
    2. DIRECTV admits the current GUI is subpar and felt the need to fabricate a mockup GUI.

My money is on #1. A GUI facelift is long overdue.

Maybe Mr. EB can post a few pics..... :grin:

13. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    If memory serves... yep! :)

As I stated, these screen shots show certain aspects to be even less polished than the last ad... so I do not believe these shots to be indicative of any FINAL release should they be real... but I do believe these shots may be something of a "tease" for aspects of what we may eventually see.

For one thing, I SERIOUSLY doubt DirecTV will get rid of the PiG. Perhaps a user option to turn it off, but not get rid of it altogether.

However, HOW COOL is that Status Bar on the picture of the SonicTap channel?! :D

~Alan

14. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Thank you!

I started to say the same thing! :)

~Alan

15. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    A HD gui would be nice but its not how you get their that maters it is what you watch.

16. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Imagine that graphic in 3D. :coolglass

17. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I don't think it's HD. HR (hey!) maybe, but not HD... :(

I was talking about the Status Bar... which I doubt would look any better in 3D, but does look MUCH better in it's positioning than where it sits currently. VERY COOL!! :D

~Alan

18. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    They don't mention in the commercial for Sonic Tap that sometimes the entire song is over before their crappy GUI updates with the song title/artist so you never get to know what you were just listening to.

I noticed when visiting a Radio Shack store that the song title/artist/album name updates INSTANTLY on the DISH network music channels...

19. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Definately a mock up: DirecTV doesn't allow "trick play" on their music channels.

20. lowmazda

lowmazda Legend

Jul 11, 2007
    The 'trick play' you are seeing is the OP showing the commercial which has lead to this topic.