1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Harmony 880 Remotes — $124.99

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Mikentosh, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikentosh

Mikentosh New Member

Jun 8, 2007
  2. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I've noticed a lot of Harmony users on this forum. I'd be curious as to whether this remote really eliminates the need to use multiple remotes. For instance, I've found that my DTV remote enables me to control the power and volume for my tv but doesn't enable me to easily control video input selection (it brings it up but only allows you to go from one or another by slowly pressing the button until you wind up with the right selection) and doesn't enable me to control the aspect on my tv at all. So I have to keep both my DTV remote and TV remote out all the time as these are both functions on my tv I use a lot. And I also have to keep my receiver remote out at all times as I always listen to the sound through my tv and need to switch between various components frequently. Would the Harmony enable me to lose all three of these much used remotes in favor of the one?

3. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Without a doubt. Harmony is a magical device.

4. wytmike

wytmike Cool Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I'm using 880's in my house. Controlling HR20, H20, DVD, Video switches, Stereo, PS2 and tv's. Easy to set up and no longer need any of the original remotes. Works great with macros to turn various components on or off depending on what you want to do.

Mike

5. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Will it send out an RF signal to the HR20?

6. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    No, only the original remote can work with RF. There is no universal RF protocol.

7. briang5000

briang5000 DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2004
    My JVC TV's remote only has one input button, that is used to cycle from input to input (Ant, Vid 1, Vid 2, Vid 3, Vid 4, Digital 1, Digital 2). However, the Harmony remote is able to send a signal to the TV that will instantly flip the TV to the correct TV. This feature will vary by TV manufacturer. If your TV manufacturer has built the ability in the TV to accept direct input control; you'll be in great shape.

I suspect most TVs will do this but to make the remotes smaller and with less buttons they leave the extra input buttons off the standard remotes.

You can probably look your TV up at AVSforum.com and find out.

~ Brian

8. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Thanks for the replies on the Harmony. This looks to be a pretty sweet price as well. $100 off Best Buy. Does anyone know if you can use the Next Generation Remote Extender with this remote? It works by fitting a kind of faux battery (either double or triple A) in the remote where half of it is a battery you can recharge and the other half is the transmitter for the rf signal. I use it a lot with my receiver when I'm listening to music outside.

9. RichH25

RichH25 AllStar

Jun 16, 2007
    Several people have mentioned RF with the 880. The 880 will not do RF. If you want RF capability, you need to get the Harmony 890 with the RF extender. However, be aware that the 890 will not use the RF built into your AV equipment. It sends an RF signal to a Harmony RF receiver. The RF receiver in turn sends an IR signal to you AV equipment via IR emitters which are placed on or near you AV equipment. Thus, your equipment does not need to have RF capability built in.

I have both the 880 and 890 remotes. Both work very well.

With the 880, I contol:
    HR20
    Panny Plasma
    Sony AVR
    DVD
    CD
    VCR

The Activities, which are simply macros, work well once you get them set up. No need to operate each piece of equipment individually.

With the 890, I control or will control:
    4 x H20
    HR20 (coming soon)
    Pioneer plasma (coming soon)
    Onkyo AVR
    DVD, CD, etc.

The 890 is great for controlling multiple pieces of the same equipment (e.g. the 4 H20) because you can assign each H20 to a specific port. This allows for individual operation of a specific H20 even when stacked on top of each other.

10. wytmike

wytmike Cool Member

Aug 25, 2006
    The 880 uses a rechargeable battery pack, so you cannot use the ones where you replace one battery with a sender.

Mike

11. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Harmony is great, but if you don't want to shell out a C-note for a universal remote, you can get a lot of the harmony functionality out of certain $20 remotes, provided you're willing to tinker a little. If you've never heard of jp1, check this out: http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/. You can also do RF on the cheap using a universal remote that comes with a receiver and IR blaster. That's how I control a single D10 from anywhere in the house which I have feeding several rarely used TV's in other rooms.

12. grooves12

grooves12 Godfather

Oct 27, 2005
    You will get pretty good functionality, better than almost any universal remote on the market, but you will not get full harmony functionality with a JP1 remote. There are certain things that will be almost impossible to setup with JP1, that you can set up in minutes with a Harmony.

I have an obscure Zalman HTPC case that can not be controlled by any universal device out there, and had it perfectly set up on the Harmony in minutes. Every device I owned had a "universal" remote, but none of them could fully elimate all of the others, so I had a pile of about 6 remotes on my coffee table. With the Harmony, despite having a complicated setup with some obscure components, all of them are now put away for good.

13. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Looks like they've sold out at the $124 price. Alas, I waffled on this one too long. Still Amazon's got a decent price at $142. I may have to pick one up there.

14. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    I wonder if they were new ones or refurbished?

15. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Claimed they were new.

16. greenie95125

greenie95125 Legend

Feb 2, 2006
    Yes, the Harmony does everything everyone says it does. You can even program the color buttons. Sigh... however I still need two remotes. The Harmony controls the TV, VCR, DVD player, A/V Receiver, media center extender, and the HR20, but it will not replace the Wii remote for games... piece o' crap... :rolleyes:

17. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    a case probably fell off a truck. :nono2:

18. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Remember, with Amazon, that price comes with free shipping. Probably not at ebay.

Agree with all of the above. The Harmony is the only remote I have ever had that was anything like "universal". It is the only one on my side table.

19. ahintz

ahintz Legend

Jan 14, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I switched my parents from a Pronto to a Harmony 890 a couple of months ago. They absolutely love the Harmony, and every time I go home it makes me think that I should get myself one - it is super easy to setup, the activities work real well, and the remote, a very similar shape to the TiVo peanut, is very comfortable to hold and use.

The RF functionality of the 890 works very well - the IR blasters that connect to the RF receiver are small, so it is very easy to hide the RF receiver and IR blasters so you can barely tell they are there. You can also assign a device to a specific IR blaster (there are four ports on the RF receiver to hook up IR blasters to), so if you have two HR20s, you can control them separately.

All in all, a great remote and well worth the money. (No, I don't work for Logitech :))

--Andrew

20. dcwebman

dcwebman New Member

Aug 21, 2006
    After all the universal remotes I have owned, the Harmony is by far the best. Even my wife said that out of all the tech gadgets I have bought, the remote is easily her favorite. When you can have one remote that does everything and a tech-tard, my wife, can handle it, you've got a winner!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.