1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HD Channel Identification

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cansv, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cansv

cansv New Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Does anyone know what actual numerical channel's the new ones will be on? Will they be 267-1 or on a whole new series of numbers?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    1001, 1002, etc :D

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I think at this point it would all be speculation.

4. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    If DIRECTV follows the model for locals and HD Regional Sports Networks, the HD channel and the SD channel will be the same, and the HD channel will appear before the SD channel in the guide and when punching in numbers.

The big mystery is where DIRECTV will put HD channels that don't have SD counterparts ... They could try to squeeze those new channels in empty slots (like MHD, the MTV HD channel). Worst case would be to renumber everything, but I don't think DIRECTV would go that far, for there are way more SD receivers in use than HD receivers, and DIRECTV would tick off a lot of people by moving channels around...

5. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Yeah, I don't know. I have to say that I was very opposed to the 70's sequencing in the beginning, but it's actually kind of nice going straight there for HD stuff. Of course, I guess you can actually use the guide filtering to do that.

So, yeah, I'll go with a vote of same channel #. Can't wait to someday type 622 and see the pre-game show in HD!!

6. MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu Godfather

Mar 7, 2007
    I have a question. I have an HR20 hooked up via HDMI to my HD set. It also is hooked up to two SD sets. I can tune to any HD channel on the SD sets and watch them -- it automatically displays the contesnt in SD. So, why don't they simply eliminate the SD version of a channel when the HD one becomes available? Won't HD owners be able to tune to it and watch in HD and SD owners use it for SD? Wouldn't it save bandwith and channel number space?

7. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    It would certainly save bandwidth to shutdown the SD channels, but the problem is there are millions of receivers out there that ONLY receive SD MPEG2 channels ... Only the new HR20 and H20 (and maybe Dxx) receivers can receive the MPEG4 channels, so if DirecTV wants to shut down MPEG2 SD, they'd have to swap out millions of receivers. That's an expensve proposition, and is one that would take a long time.

8. mapod

mapod AllStar

Feb 9, 2007
    According to the NFL Sunday Ticket ad on their website the NFL Network will be on 95 if that helps.
    :rolleyes:

9. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    95 is a HD sports catch-all channel. NFL network will have its own place on D10.

10. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    What do you mean? The Yankees pre-game show is in HD.

11. dhines

dhines Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    on issue with doing that is SD is typicall in 4x3 and HD is 16x9. i am sure the SD only folks would really complain if they were forced to view everything in letterbox (even a 4x3 picture being shown in 16x9 would be letterbox'ed). so without that being resolved, even if they swapped out all the boxes this really wouldn't be an option.

12. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Actually, letterbox would be sweet for those without a HDTV/receiver...I would not mind a bit for the bedroom TV. But, that still doesn't help the millions of folks (like me) that still have a boatload of MPEG2 boxes.

13. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    They might let NFL Network be on 95 again like last year as well as an mpeg 4 version being ST still will have a mpeg2 HD. By the middle of football season, there shouldn't be any more sneak peaks being those channels would already by HD full time by them that ought to help some of the bandwidth, Its only 3-4 hours. Next year will likely be a different story.

14. ajwillys

ajwillys Godfather

Jun 14, 2006
    I think they should only do this for channels that are an exact simulcast of their SD station. If its a station that shows different content sometimes or all the time, they should not be the same channel, it would get too confusing.

15. MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu Godfather

Mar 7, 2007
    More and more SD programming is 16:9. Almost all NBC shows, for example. And for the shows that aren't (e.g. CBS), they cut off the sides of the shows for the SD version (it's all shot in 16:9), so you're actually better off getting a letterboxed version.

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    That's the way it will be. The vast majority of the new channels they'll be adding will be simulcasts, so they'll end up on the same channel as the SD broadcast. Others, like MHD, will be put in where appropriate. They put MHD on 332 and not 331, because it's not a simulcast of MTV.

17. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    I type 622 and see a pregame show in HD all the time, then I quickly switch to 625 to see a good team's HD pregame show. :p

18. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I have had my HR20 hooked up to a 4:3 SD TV. The crop and stretch modes work in the opposite way of on a 16:9 set. They stretch vertically and crop to 4:3.

It was odd because watching baseball on an HD broadcast, eveything looked "normal" because the graphics are typically within the 4:3 field of a 16:9 broadcast anyway.

19. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yep, pretty much everyone except TNT and HDNet do this.

20. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    HDNet? I haven't seen it there. I like its hockey broadcasts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.