New HD Channels in September

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by BillJ, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Aside from the History Channel HD, there have been suggetions that E* would add other HD channels in September. Dish Magazine reports they will add 9 new HD PPV channels next month. Not exactly what most of us were hoping for. Let's hope they will also add a few HD channels to the HD package or premium movie channels packages as well.

2. bobl

bobl Legend

Jan 17, 2004
    And how about turning on some of the seven HD RSN's which have been uplinked for a long time but are still unavailable. Mine is Fox Sports Net Bay Area which I believe was uplinked just about a year ago but has still not been turned on. Twently-five HD RSN's are uplinked but as of today only eighteen have been turned on.

3. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005

Hey, they finally got Comcast Chicago HD activated. I'd begun to think they would never get an agreement with Comcast. Still only active for a limited HD programming schedule but it's a start.

4. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    I agree. Get it turned on in time for hockey season!

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I thought more RSNs were "in the pipe" as part of the "coming soon" rumors. Could be remembering wrong on that point though.

As for the new HD PPV... I think it is smart. Dish will most likely share the bandwidth between those part-time RSNs in HD and the PPVs... so instead of having dead transponders while airing those slates in the off-times... they can have more HD PPV choices available.

This seems like a very smart move to give consumers more HD PPV (something I have seen more folks express an interest in) and make more efficient use of existing allocated bandwidth at the same time. Win-win in my book.

6. joebird

joebird Legend

Sep 15, 2003
    Yeah, I need a reason to re-point my 61.5 dish to 129 -- give us Fox Sports Bay Area already...

7. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Charlie says no cost two much no Bay Area cost to much.:rolleyes:

8. johnmcm

johnmcm New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    My biggest gripe, too! There's got to be somewhere to apply some consumer pressure. How about through ATT since they partner with dishnetwork with the Homezone and also sponsor the Giants' ballpark? I contacted FSN and they claim it's all in dish's hands. Obviously it's about money.

9. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Legend

May 8, 2006
    My vote, for what it's worth, is for more HD locals, like the ones scheduled to be rolled out by the end of 2006 for instance.

10. TvilleBee

TvilleBee AllStar

Feb 11, 2007
    ditto on the hd locals. Norfolk, VA locals were slated for late 2006 & I'd really like to see them. I only get CBS, PBS, & ABC HD w/ my antenna & would really love to get atleast NBC & Fox HD from Norfolk

11. HDlover

HDlover Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    Yes, or I'm going to Directv!

12. joebird

joebird Legend

Sep 15, 2003
    I pinged ceo@echostar.com, and it's status quo:

"We will be adding more HD Regional Sports Networks in the future, but do not currently have a launch date for RSN Bay Area. Unfortunately we do not have any additional information regarding the possible future additional of this channel."

13. space86

space86 Icon

May 4, 2007
    I hope that they will carry my favorite channel Comedy Central,
    in HD by the end of the year.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    To be fair... most folks don't like to announce what they may or may not be doing a week from now, or beyond... and companies protect that info even moreso.

I like to know as much as the next person, but I also understand why companies don't just spray the news around all the time either.

15. krazy k

krazy k Legend

Apr 26, 2003
    I pay an average of 40. a month for wwe ppv,s
    i wish someone would ping the ceo on my behalf cause for the amount i pay a year it would be sure nice to have the ppv's in HD.......
    we got boxing in hd.
    we got UFC in hd,.
    WWe ,,,, we need it in hd,,,,
    Krazy

16. Sat4me

Sat4me Legend

May 13, 2006
    Dishnet HD for $20 per month is vastly overcharging based on what they are providing. If they don't get moving, I'm betting Directv steals a lot of customers.

17. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Hmm.. Dish has almost 3 times the HD that DirecTV does, and only charges twice what DirecTV does. How is that overcharging? Unless you expect everything to be free?

18. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    IN that $20.00 price you are paying to subsidize VOOM . The origional hd pack was $ 9.99 and they added 10 channels of VOOM for $5.00 more back in May of 2005 , then they added another 5 channels for $5.01 more last year. So you now have $20.00 for the hd pack. IF Voom was a premium pack you could add ala carte instead of forced on you DISH would be at the same price for hd access as Directv. But that is what happens when your provider is part owner of VOOM. They got to make that money somewhere to keep Voom running.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    While the theory sounds interesting and has been repeated often, I have yet to see any evidence to support it. Do you have evidence?

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You'll need to take that up with another CEO: Mrs. Linda E. McMahon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.