1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HD Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by directvfreak, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    With the new MPEG4 HD channels coming out will DirecTV be upgrading old MPEG 2 equipment to MPEG4 for free? I have a HR20 in my Living room, a H20 in the master bed, but in the den, the HR10-250 need upgraded so that it can view MPEG 4. Will directv upgrade for free or will I just have to live with the old MPEG 2 HD?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I believe the upgrade price from the HR10-250 is $99 but a lot of people have got it done for free. You will just have to call and ask.

3. phxphotog

phxphotog Cool Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I was just offered the $99 deal today. That included the hr20-700, the 5 lnb dish and the install. They told me that they would take my hr10-250 with them though. I thought that sucked that they would take away my hd-tivo that I spent $500 on. I still haven't made a decision on if I'm going to do it or not.

4. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    phxphotog -

They won't take your HR10-250. Its a common comment because they call it a "swap-out" but I think its darn near universal they won't take it unless you tell them too - and if they try, its easy to argue owned vs. leased.

They didn't take mine if that helps.

Chris

5. psychobabbler

psychobabbler Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    They didn't take my HR10 either. I actually use it in another room, non HD. But that thing can hold some SD!

6. wagman

wagman Legend

Jul 11, 2007
    phxphotog,

I just had a HR20 put in (Monday), and was told they were going to take my hr10-250 in the swap-out.

The installers came, asked which box I was replacing, and I told them I wanted my D10 box replaced, not my HR10-250. They said "no problem", and deactivated my D10 box. My HR10-250 is happily working away in a new location in my house.

They did not take the D10 box, and it is sitting happily on the desk in front of me right now.

The installer told me they never actual remove receivers, but they do take dishes they have replaced.

I hope that relieves any of your concerns. Just tell the installer you want another box deactivated. Even if the HR10-250 is your only box, they should not actual take it after deactivation.

wagman

7. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Actually, part of the offer is that they will relocate your HR10-250 to another room.

8. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    I got an HR-20 for free last year, and they moved my old H10 to another room.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I think some unscrupulous installers have taken the old DirecTivo DVR from unwitting customers. But they shouldn't have.

Carl

10. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Did you buy the HR10-250 or was it a lease from D*? If you own the IRD, and not lease, I can't imagine they'd take it. Maybe they thought it was D* equipment when they stated that?

11. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I doubt they will take it they left mine behind even though they said they would take it the installer wanted nothing to do with it.

12. Folin

Folin AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    Just posted all this over at AVS so a repeat here...caution even when the installer does not take your current lease unit:

I called last month to upgrade 2 HR10's to HR20's. One HR10 was mine, bought and paid for, the other was a lease unit.

Best offer on the first call was $198 less a $99 credit. Not bad, but I passed.

My wife called two days later, talked for 1/2 hour and hung up. Said she got both HR20's coming to us 100% free (no equp, install or shipping fees).

Install went ok a couple days later. Installer took one HR20 back to his truck as it was deemed DOA, it wouldn't clear the first couple screens after numerous attempts. Installer relocated my HR10 to a spare BR.

Wife asked him to take D*'s leased HR10 but he said they didn't want them back anymore. This was a D* installer, not 3rd party. (Whoot, thought I, ebay here I come)

About 4 days ago my wife called D* as there was a $20 shipping fee on our bill. She got D* to credit it back after a major argument. The very next day there was a $70 install fee, a $299 equipment fee and a $300 unreturned DVR fee: $670 total fees.

My wife called me at work cussing out D*. D* never once told us to return the DVR nor did they send a return kit. They didn't have good notes on the "deal" they had offered my wife (everything for free), thus the charges cropping up.

I called and hammered away for about an hour. They submitted the $299 equipment charge to their credit group for reversal after I pointed out the $199 - $99 credit deal I had been offered two days earlier...why would we suddenly accept a $300 deal? Made no sense.

Finally, they reveresed the $70 install fee, too and are sending us a return kit for the leased HR10.

Then the rep said, "It looks like you're due to send us back an HR20 as well...hate for that to show up as unreturned, now". I told them the installer tried the 1st unit and left with it. Unknown what's going to happen on this but that will really irk me if they try to charge us for that unit.

So even if D*/installer doesn't ask for a leased unit back...I'd sit on it awhile before selling it or otherwise...

13. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    They offered to move mine as well. I was actually shocked that they even asked when all I thought they would do is install the dish and box.

14. okeemike

okeemike New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    I had the same thing happen to me. My $66 HR20 turned into $299 by the time my first bill arrived. Now, I learned that I'm also paying $5 / month for a lease. My head still hurts from the rep explaining to me how I only leased the box for $299 (apparently to keep my from paying the $700 that it really cost. Huh?

15. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    If you weren't paying the leasing fee, you'd be paying the mirroring fee (assuming that you have more than 1 receiver) which exists for any receivers activated before the leasing program began. It's basically the same fee just with a different name, so you're not really paying any extra to lease the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.