new HDGUI and directv subtitles flaky, closed captioning fine

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gnahc79, Feb 3, 2012.

1. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    We got the HDGUI update in early January and the Directv subtitles (yellow, transparent background) has been flaky. The closed captioning (white text, black background) works consistently. This is for both HD and SD channels. Anyone else experience this? Directv subtitles were working fine prior to the HDGUI update.
    for example:
    enable directv subtitles -> nothing
    change to closed captioning on the same channel -> see text

2. jimisham

jimisham Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    Haven't had any problem here with an HR23-700.

3. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    I do notice it. Sometimes words get behind the original but it then corrected itself as it goes on. It gets a little annoying but then I got used to it. Haven't tried the DirecTV closed captioning so I don't know from there. I like the fonts better with subtitles and the size. Just right for me since the HD GUI updates.

4. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey Legend

Sep 5, 2011
    It took me about 10 minutes to get DirecTV subtitles to start working the first time but they have worked fine since. Definitely there is an issue there for some of us, though.

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The subtitles seem to work fine on my R22 with the new HD GUI but I don't have HD service from DirecTV so my TV gets a 480p feed via HDMI.

Actually, I'm not hard of hearing but I use the subtitle feature a lot due to the mumbling on some of the current crop of TV shows!! It was a lot easier turning it on and off by pressing the yellow button and getting the "pop-up" menu than it is now. Of course, EVERYTHING seems harder to do with the HD GUI than it was with the old menus... :mad:

6. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Yer preachin' to the choir :preach:

Its not the shows; its the actors. Unfortunately, younger actors grew up with the technology to record audio noiselessly even if it is very low. Older actors did not have that luxury, and had to learn to project. Actors with stage experience still seem to, but most actors don't; Jean-Luc Picard, they ain't.

A perfect example is Nathan Fillion [Castle]. A terrific actor, very charismatic, and able to raise the level of everything he is in (well, the dramatic or comedic level, just not the audio level). Stole the show in the last year of BuffyTVS as a loony priest, became a fan fave on Firefly, and also stole the show on Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place.

But the man has no earthly idea how to enunciate. Not a clue. My mother gave up watching Castle because she can't make out what he is saying.

Another mumbler is Adam Brody [The OC]. I like that kid, but I'd like him a lot better if he could just SPEAK UP.

What is worse is this new acting technique where everbody whispers their lines all breathy, like they were doing commercial voiceovers on '70s FM radio. Drives me nuts. And, its stupid; people don't talk that way in real life, so it makes it more difficult to suspend disbelief when they do it while acting. Knock it off!! About the only guy that can pull that off is Jim Cavezeil in Person of Interest, the best new show this year so far.

Even more maddening is Jon Stewart. I think he is a comedic treasure, but I wish he had not adopted this technique where he's screaming the set up to a bit and then low-keys the punch line by saying it very quickly under his breath. DIgital audio has the dynamic range to accommodate that; my ears don't. Even the CC lady can't always catch it.

This is why a 1-button CC is so very important.