1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Home Wiring Help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jvmjr, Jun 13, 2018.

1. jvmjr

jvmjr Cool Member

Feb 12, 2008
    I have looked so I apologize if this has been outlined before. I am building a new home and can set the wiring the way I want. I plan to run coax for all tv's in the home to one central location. I also plan on running a coax from where the sat will be to the central location. I have Directv now so I understand how the wire comes from dish to a splitter and then out to my genies. My question relates to more of how is the HS17 wired/set up? If it doesn't have an output, how does it send the signals to the tv's? I don't want to use wireless, only wired. It is my understanding that the dish is connected directly to the HS17? Maybe this is incorrect on my part. If someone would outline exactly how I should set this up, I would really appreciate it. And I know some people don't like the HS17. I'm hopeful by the time I order service it will be better, if not I will go with something like I have now. Thanks in advance.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    HS-17 Wires the same (as Noted) It does not have any Direct TV out put- SO it can be placed anywhere RG6- from the dish to a Swm Splitter HS-17 (port 1) of the splitter -you can only have Clients (MINI's) All Direct RG6 Wired back to your splitter in the central location.

That would be All wired (RG6) Internet (lan) Connected to the HS71- Would provide WH service and Live TV over MOCO (RG6) to all other rooms

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Your HS17 will go in your central location.

While you're doing your wiring, make sure you have 'future proof' your outlets. Maybe 2-3 outlets in your family room -- so in case you decide to move the furniture around you'll have the outlet you need. Same in any of the bedrooms where you may move furniture around.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Rather than future proofing RG6, which probably doesn't have much of a future, I'd worry more about running twisted pair cat5e/cat6a cables to future proof TV locations.

With an HS17 you could use those today (using DECAs to convert from ethernet to RG6 for the clients) so even if you moved furniture a month after you moved in you'd be future proof. RG6 is on the way out, not just from people moving away from standard cable/satellite but cable/sat providers are going to begin to embrace ethernet more and more in the future.

You can also run HDMI over cat6a, balanced line level audio, moderate amounts of DC power, and on and on. You can't run enough twisted pair, for everything else I'd only worry about what you need today or foresee wanting in the next few years. Just make sure your twisted pair is copper, not CCA, if you think you might ever want it to carry power!

techovercharge likes this.
  5. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Yep I would run ethernet cables with coax cables.

6. mgavs

mgavs Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    New home... make sure cat6a is throughout the house. Do not use ancient phone jacks, use only data connections. I rewired the house twice and replaced all phone jacks with data. No need for jacks anyway, we use 6 iPads for phones so no need for ancient phones, although we do have a couple of Yealink T58Vs Ethernet/POE to Ethernet switch on battery backup in case of power outage. As for coax for satellites/cable, we are replacing directv receivers with appletvs because we get a lot more and.... no need for wires for them and no monthly equipment fee.

7. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Will you have an attic and if so are you running your cables up the wall and then into the attic? If so install some empty conduits for future use. I did and I was glad I did. The drywall installers cut my main cat6 cable when cutting out for the boxes. I hardwired all of TV and entertainment locations for my router hookup.