1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New house, can anyone help me with what I have?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by avu3, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avu3

avu3 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    I'm new in my home and would like to know what I have before setting off to install/replace/etc. I'm a former directv guy, so the parts all look familar, but are connected in strange ways.

I've got two dishes on the house with dual LNBs pointed at different birds. Each LNB goes to a 2 into 1 spliter and sends a signal from each dish to two rooms in the house on a single cable to each room.

The system was initially installed in 2003, and the dishes say "dish 500" on them. based on the difference in mounting hardware there was an upgrade at some point to add the second dish.

Any clues as to what I have or what to look for to help identify it?

My goal would be to hook up four recievers - three single tuner in the bedrooms/garage and one dual tuner/tivo in the living room.

I'm competent enough to run my own cable, but I need a sense of what I have to know what to run.

I've been burned before on installs, so I'd like to have a foundation for whats here so I can have a quasi intelligent conversation with the folks when I call.

Thanks!
    Scott

2. rcbridge

rcbridge Godfather

Oct 31, 2002
    Are you switching to dish or staying with direct?
    It sounds like the previous owner had antenna pointed for 110/119 and 148. Dish birds. Do you have a compass you can check the az/angle.
    Most important which service are you going to use??

3. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I would guess you have two DP-21s, which is the "2 into 1 splitter" piece you refer to above (actually reverse-splitters, yes?). This is the configuration they often use if they have 2 dishes but are only going to hook up 2 tuners/receivers.

If you want to go up to 4 tuners/receivers, they'll have to remove the DP-21s and replace them with a DP-34. But you seem to be requesting a total of 5 tuners, which becomes a tougher configuration. A DPP-44 with a DPP Separator is a possibility, since adding a second DP-34 just for one more tuner is somewhat of a waste.

4. avu3

avu3 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    I'll probably go with Dish, just cause my directv stuff is old and they probably won't give me the same deal since I was recently a customer.

Thanks for the info on splitters, yes, these are two dish inputs to one cable, so a reverse splitter.

The dishes are facing nearly due south and the other is south east.

Scott

5. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    I'm a little confused by your description. How many total dishes?

Two dishes that BOTH have dual LNBs? Dual LNBs are only needed for the 110/119 locations. All other locations would use a single LNB.

Did you say you have wiring for 4 rooms? You sure both of your dishes are not pointing at 110/119 and each dish is supplying a signal to two rooms?

Dish has a dual tuner box that can optionally feed two rooms, but you take a hit over sigle user operation. You may miss your TiVo after using the Dish hardware for awhile (more bugs on the Dish side).

Are you doing Hi-Def? You should take a look at the Cable offerings too (PVR with no up front cost).

There's a lot to learn with Dish setups. There are many different types of LNBs and switches (many LNBs have switches built in). You could certainly do it, but why not just call Dish and let them set you up. If it helps, I can send a club Dish referral number.

Here's a place you could start reading:
    http://ekb.dbstalk.com/index.htm

6. dmodemd

dmodemd Godfather/Supporter

Jul 5, 2002
    Could he have SW21 switches? Why a Dish 500 with dual LNBs on the 148??

7. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    It's not impossible someone slapped up a spare Dish 500 to get a wing, left the LNB, but leaving an extra SW 21 doesn't make sense.

avu3:
    We could probably help you more if you draw a diagram or dishes, switches, and wiring. Look for labels on all the components and tell us what you have.

Do you all ready have a TiVo?

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Scott, it sounds like you and I have the same configuration. A Dish 500 for 110/119 and a spare 500 used as a 300 (single LNB) for the wing (61.5). The second LNB on the second dish is inactive and not wired. I use two sw-21s to tie it all together and feed two 100' runs of RG-6 to one DP7200 and one HD811. It is the type and config of your switches that will let you accomplish what you want to do.

9. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    AVU3 if you have moved and have a new address and a new phone number you will probably qualify as a NEW Directv customer. You can get upto 4 new receivers and free installation from Directv and a $50 credit on a TiVo. Also as a new customer for DISH you can participate in their leasing promotion for 4 tuners but you will be disappointed with their DVR compared to TiVo.

10. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
  11. bigrick

bigrick Registered User

Oct 21, 2003
    Just gotta get my guess in...here goes. You have a dish500 with a twin, not a dual and a dish 500 with a dual pointed at the wing 61.5 or 148 with a dual on it each combines with a sw21 for each receiver (2 recs). my guess is to go with dish you just upgrade to dp lnbfs and a 34/44 and your set.

12. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    He's in California....maybe 110/119 and 148/157 on two DISH 500s?

13. avu3

avu3 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Thanks guys. I understand better now. The splitters are indeed sw21s and the dishes do have two singles, not a dual LNB. I had my terminology completely wrong on that one.

Now that I know whats there, and I've had some time to chew through the links you sent, I feel better calling to get my install.

In the end I will probably end up with something that allows me a dual tuner tivo in the living room, single tuners in two of the bedrooms, and something out in the garage - so I know its going to be more complex than just single tuners in both rooms.

With regard to DTV, I gave my equipment and service to my dad, and haven't changed my name off the account, so I'm technically still a customer. they'd probably do something for me, but since I've had DTV for 6 years, and my folks still have it, I figured I'd try DISH for something different.

As a side note, if they don't take my old stuff away, I'll probably have some old parts to give away soon.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.