New HR22-100 Needed a Reset

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by R0am3r, Oct 15, 2008.

1. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    After a two year hiatus from DirecTV I took the leap yesterday and had three receivers (a HR22-100 DVR and two H23 boxes) and a new Slimline installed. Five minutes after the installer left, a pop-up showed up on the DVR asking about a download. Since I really didn’t have anything else to do, I opted for the download and about 15 minutes later all was well and I was viewing all my new channels. When I got up this morning, the DVR had a guide, but no channels were visible. I checked the other receivers and they were fine. So, I pushed the red reset button and it seemed to correct the problem. Should I be worried about this happening again?

Beyond the reset issue this morning, I really love how this DVR operates. The software is so much better than the SARA software running on my old Time Warner 8300HD box. Is there a way to see what version of the software I am running? Just wondering…

2. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    press and hold info key for a few seconds and it will bring up this info.

3. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Don't worry about the Reciever. It is rock solid. I have 4 Hrxx's and never have an issue. it takes up to 48 hrs. for the guide to totally populate. Updates come out from D* every so often. If there is a bug on the national release. It will so be fixed or changed. Enjoy......

4. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Good luck. These boxes have had these sorts of problems, starting with the first boxes in the Hr2X series. They are buggy, and historically, very unreliable. Over the last year or so, the software has been much improved, and the frequency of these events has diminished. It's still very annoying though. I will be very pleased when the new HDTIVO is released and I can get rid of these buggy HR2xs.

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    that didn't take long.

6. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I hesitated on making the plunge after reading about numerous issues on this forum with the HRXX series DVR. I finally installed D* in September after coming to the conclusion that most of the issues were caused by other hardware or power. In September I had 2 HR22's installed, one worked like a champ and the other had 4 recordings that were either gray screen or immediately asked if you wanted to delete. The only difference was that the DVR that had no issues was on a UPS. So I tightened every cable connection and added a UPS to the other HR22 and have experienced no issues since. I will tell you they seem to be extremely sensitive, but with proper connections and clean power they work perfect.

7. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    This was actually an oversight on the part of the installer. They are supposed to force a download of the latest software when installing receivers.

That actually sounds like the software download killed your favorites list so you had no channels in it. This does happen sometimes. Yes, it’s a bug, but it happens rarely and the solution is to just rebuild your custom favorites (if a reset does not fix it).

8. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies! Everything seems to be working now and I really love the DVR. You have my interest - how exactly does the installer force a download of the latest software? I noticed that during the setup of the DVR, the installer kept skipping the download so he could get the job done. I assumed the download was an automatic thing and he didn't make this event happen. Obviously this was a bad guess on my part.

9. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    To force a software download, you reboot the receiver (preferred method is via the “reset” function in the setup menu). As soon as the blue ring starts blinking, press 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. You have to press these numbers “deliberately”, i.e. just slightly slower than you might normally press them with a slightly longer pause between presses. It may take a 10-20 seconds after this before the receiver goes into download mode, but it will do it before the graphical “Step 1 of 2” boot screen. If not, then you may have to press the red button (do an RBR) to try again.

10. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    Thanks Rudeney! BTW - I love the DVR and all the features. I powered it up this morning and everything is working perfectly, so yesterday was just a fluke. I can't believe I suffered so long with the Time Warner box. :D

11. Cmnore

Cmnore Godfather

Sep 22, 2008
    The tech that brought my HR22 told me that it needed to be plugged DIRECTLY into the wall - NOT into a powerstrip. When I told him I had my equip. plugged into a battery backup/power conditioner - he seemed relieved, and told me these units were VERy susceptable to erratic behavior if subjected to fluctuating or inconsistent power supply.