"New" HR24 - Order from SolidSignal or just stick with ATT

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gwade, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Sep 8, 2020 #1 of 53
    gwade

gwade Cool Member

Aug 31, 2008
    I know there are no "new" HR24's anymore, but you can order one at SolidSignal for $199 or simply go through your ATT account to order a new receiver (HDDVR...I would also assume an HR24...I cant't believe they have HR23's lying around anymore) for the same $199.

Any opinion these days or is it 6 of one half a dozen of the other?

I'd prefer to order through ATT if a) they ship it...no darn tech visit and b) they are sending HR24's, especially if activating is seamless.

I'd prefer to order through Solid Signal if ATT requires a tech visit.

Any current knowledge?

2. Sep 8, 2020 #2 of 53
    codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    My last PP free upgrade was another HR24 to my library of receivers a couple months ago. I didn’t need a truck roll, but their systems required it and they couldn’t manipulate around it. First two visits, techs didn’t show up. After wasting 1.5 weeks of that time, the third time was a charm. Tech spent all of 5 minutes because I had everything all set to go, including power cord and remote.

It was a ‘just OK is not OK’ experience, by ATT.

3. Sep 9, 2020 #3 of 53
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't you get one without cost (absolutely nothing is "free" on D*) if you use your upgrade? Serious question, I purchased all my HRs from private owners. I have no idea how the upgrade works. No matter what you do, no matter where you buy a 24, you are gonna need to put a new external drive on it or suffer with the old, degraded HDD in it. Just a thought.

Rich

4. Sep 9, 2020 #4 of 53
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If AT&T wants a professional installation for a box, buying it from Solid Signal probably isn't going to change that. The blessing of buying from a third party is having some assurance of what you're going to get (new versus refurb, maybe manufacturer choice)

5. Sep 9, 2020 #5 of 53
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    your not getting new from SS either

6. Sep 9, 2020 #6 of 53
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    1) buying it from anywhere is a gamble as the CSR may not activate it 2) if you ask nicely, you can generally get one comped.

7. Sep 9, 2020 #7 of 53
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The point I was trying to make is that if you go through AT&T/DIRECTV, you'll know what you got when you unbox the unit and not a moment sooner. With third parties, there's usually some hope of the seller being able to tell you what device you're going to get. We know that DIRECTV has a relatively peculiar sense of box equivalence, and given that understanding, knowing what you're getting before the purchase is worth something if you have a preference.

Solid Signal is trying to make it look like they can still activate receivers without involvement from AT&T/DIRECTV personnel but I'm told that hasn't been the case for a while now.

8. Sep 9, 2020 #8 of 53
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    2 years

9. Sep 9, 2020 #9 of 53
    gwade

gwade Cool Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Are you saying that if I bought a box from SS and called ATT to activate it (SS is an "authorized dealer")...ATT would refuse to activate it without a truck roll? That sounds a bit far fetched.

10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    If you buy from SS or Amazon or eBay, etc. its luck of the draw if a CSR will activate it. I think Amazon and eBay are definite no's nowadays.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm referring specifically to configurations where AT&T requires a truck roll.

Interesting side note: If you use the DIRECTV Find a Retailer web application to locate an authorized DIRECTV dealer near Solid Signal's business address, Solid Signal isn't among them.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think anyone that buys a 24 is gonna get a new one. What they're gonna get is a refurb with an old HDD in it. Anybody that gets one of them and expects years of trouble-free performance is gonna be disappointed.

Rich

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Solid Signal, as an authorized dealer, can sell you equipment that can be activated.
    eBay (or any other auction site) you are buying from whomever, and almost without exception you will not be able to activate the unit.
    I have not looked at Amazon for DirecTV equipment, but again, if it is from an authorized dealer, you will be okay. If not, then you will not.

You will never be able to activate an "owned" unit, that distinction no longer exists. You will not be able to activate a unit you get from another person (regardless of whether or not it was owned or leased).

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I spoke to a CSR recently and told her how I felt about the "owned" HR thing. She checked my account and said she saw three HRs that were marked as "owned". First time I heard that since the merger. I should have at least 12 HRs marked as owned but she could only find three. Next time I talk to a CSR I'm gonna get the serial or RID number from those three HRs and I'm gonna call and see if I can sell them. Worth trying.

Rich

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Again, don't miss my point as I was making a general statement about what advantages might be derived from buying through an authorized third party (not specific to a particular receiver). Being able to choose (or avoid) based on knowing definitively what they're going to send you before you lay your money down has value.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Got that, my point is there aren't many "new" 24s out there. Might not be any. No matter where you buy it, lease it, it's gonna be a refurb.

Rich

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That should be fairly obvious given that the HR24 was introduced more than ten years ago.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, and they all have old HDDs in them. If ATT cared they'd stick new 500 GB drives in them. Here's a link to a Seagate Pipeline: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Pipe...99757234&sprefix=seagate+pipel,aps,163&sr=8-3

~ 23 bucks new. If D* bought enough the price would be even less. The 24s could be reborn. If D*/ATT cared. Lots of luck waiting for that to happen.

Rich

19. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Unless AT&T finds a dusty pallet of HR24s in a corner of a warehouse somewhere, there are no 'never used' HR24s. They haven't made them at all for at least five years, so they are not only not new they are guaranteed to be pretty long in the tooth.

20. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    There's a sleazeball on eBay selling refurbed HR24s marked as new for $500 :rolleyes:.