1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HR34 and Client install - trouble with clients

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mike Greer, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Good afternoon all,

I just came back from taking a look at a neighbor's new HR34 and 3 Client install. He had previously mentioned how much slower the DirecTV stuff was compared to the Dish Network equipment he just gave up. I told him that the drop in speed is just the cost of doing business with DirecTV vs Dish Network.

He called me last night specifically about the clients and problems he was having. I told him I had never seen the HR34 or the clients - so I just took a look.

I'd be interested in what anyone that uses the HR34 with C31 clients has to say.....

If what I saw is the norm I'm not sure why ANY sane person would use the C31 clients! I mean I've always bitched about sluggish DirecTV equipment (as you all know!) but for the love of all things holy!!!

I tried two of his clients - both are barley functional. Moving up and down the guide/play list is nearly impossible and inconsistent. At one point it started scrolling down the list of recordings... I hit 'down' maybe 2 or 3 times and it took off and scrolled down (slowly) 3 or 4 pages.

I couldn't make it do it but he said if you try to fast forward through commercials many times it just jumps to the end of the recording or is hard to stop the fast forwarding. Talk about a blast from the past! I used to get the jump to the end with my HR22s.

I told him I'd post here to see if anyone had any words of wisdom.

My suggestion was to call DirecTV and tell them to shove the C31 clients and install either HR24s or just H25s. I warned him if he does HR24s he has to have a SWM16 and manage the HR34 from the HR34 only and if he does H25s he can control the HR34 but then he can't 'pause' live TV.

His question was 'Shouldn't what I have just work?'.... Well - you'd think so wouldn't you?

I think his biggest problem is that it has been maybe a month or so since his install. Not sure that DirecTV is going to do anything now.... I wish he would have told me he was switching before he went all-in with the HR34 and clients!

By the way - his HR34 is not nearly as slow as the clients. It is very obviously slower than his old Dish Network equipment but not too much slower than my HR24s. Faster than my HR22s used to be... At least while I was there playing around....

Anyone use the C31 clients on a regular basis and happy with the 'performance'?

This has to be a new low for DirecTV hardware performance.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What do you want to hear, Mike? You're one of the most frequent speed critiquing posters. I just don't think that you or your friend will ever be happy. I'm not a client fan, but love the H25 & suggest those over clients. Will DirecTV let him switch them out for free? Highly unlikely, so he can either accept the slowness or drop about $300 or less on H25s.

Every speed thread goes the same way...
    - Someone hates the speed.
    - Others agree.
    - Others disagree and don't see an issue with it.
    - Rinse, lather, repeat. ;)

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As noted, it is doubtful he'll get any price break changing out the clients (which I agree are slower than a receiver or DVR). Best advice would be to put the HR34 at his most used location so as to minimize his personal interaction with the clients.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    In a nutshell... You will never be happy with a client.

5. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Well thanks for all the help.:rolleyes:

What I'd like to hear is anything that will help him. Apparently you already know he will never be happy.... So I guess that's it.

I guess you're saying this is just the way it works? Do you even have the equipment? Ever seen the C31 in action?

Not trying to start a fight - just trying to help a friend out and I haven't ever seen any other C31s to know if they all are this bad or if it is just his setup that could be fixed.

6. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Thanks Carl - I'll suggest he move the HR34 to the most used location.

7. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    No doubt about that but are they all this bad? I won't be using the clients - ever - but he already has them.

8. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Most used location! Good Advise!:)

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The ones I've used are slower than being at the actual server, yes. That's not to say they won't gain some speed in the future though.

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The occasional skip to the end of the recording is a bug and will be fixed. As for speed, yes the clients will never be as fast as being on an actual receiver, just how things are.

11. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    As I said... I'm not a client fan, but love the H25 & suggest those over clients. I would not give advice on equipment I haven't used. ;)

12. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    By the way - this guy is not normally a pain in the ass like I am. He doesn't expect perfection - in fact he moved from Dish Network to DirecTV knowing full well that his equipment would be slower than his old stuff from Dish... Problem is - he thought the slow down would be to the speed of my HR24s and not to the ridiculous speed of the C31s.

He didn't talk to me about getting the HR34/C31 setup until a week or two after he had it installed or I would have told him to wait for the HR44 and to skip the clients entirely. I have been warned by a few here about the clients and have read the numerous complaints about the clients and would have let him know.

13. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Just an update - it looks like he may just go back to Dish Network. He got one of those 'come back' offers in the mail and called Dish Network. They have offered to pay up to $200 to put a dent in his ETF fee with DirecTV. He would still have to pay the additional $200 or so.

He called DirecTV last week and they offered to send a tech out but said the 'sluggish' performance of the clients was one of the things DirecTV was working on.... They said replacing the clients with H25s would cost him $300 and they couldn't 'help' with the fees because he has only been a customer for a month.

He hasn't decided what he is going to do yet....

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Will Dish give free equipment & installation on top of the $200? If so, he should do it.

15. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Yep - Hopper and 3 Joeys plus free install plus $200.

He wanted Sunday Ticket and I think that is the only thing holding him back.

He'll have to pay $200 to go back to Dish or $300 to get H25s and give up live TV trick play to make his one month old DirecTV setup to work.

I feel his pain - I stupidly didn't look very closely at DirecTV's DVRs before going all-in myself. It cost me $600 to get rid of my HR22s - at least he is getting off easier than I did!

16. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Tough choice. If ST is free, then maybe stay and be out the extra $100 ($300 vs $200). If ST isn't free... definitely switch.

17. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Good point - I'm not sure ST was free with his DirecTV deal or not...

18. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    He should at least let the tech come out. If it really is as bad as you say it is there could be an issue with the HR34.
    You may also want to try a "reset everything" on the 34.

19. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    Occasional meaning 100% of the time, lol. At least in my experience.

If there is a guarantee that the skip to the end and menu response can be fixed or improved it would be nice to hear it from an official source. That would make the annoyance easy to bare.

20. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    I've been impressed by 0x66d on my HR24 and presume that they really are working on the problem this time with the clients.

Please do not start with this Apple mentality (disclaimer:all my devices are Apple) of "reset everything" and no one follow after this. DirecTV DVRs run in almost a fully contained environment and even more "walled garden" than Apple devices there should never be any need to "reset everything". Maybe a Reset Defaults but the DirecTV equipment has a closed set of options and settings to be changed.