1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HR34 choppy playback from existing HR24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by energyx, Aug 12, 2013.

1. energyx

energyx Cool Member

Aug 8, 2011
    I recently upgraded and added a Genie(HR34) w/ Genie Mini. I kept my HR24 and put it in another room. I am able to play back from HR34 to HR24, but playing back from HR24 to new HR34 stutters and freezes. I am confused how it works fine one way, but not in reverse. I ran a system test on the HR34 and did get a 79-086 error message about playback problems once. The Coax signals for the receivers are all above -24, but on the mesh grid I see a few values in the 220s and 230s. All are direct RG6 home runs to the splitter.

3LNB SWM -> 25ft into power inserter -> 4 way DIRECTV splitter

4 way splitter -
    1. 6ft coax to DECA
    2. 15ft coax to Genie Mini
    3. ~40ft to HR34
    4. ~40ft to HR24

All cable is RG6 with DIRECTV approved connectors. Before the Genie, I had an H25 where the HR24 is now and it could stream fine from the HR24 when it was where the Genie is now.

2. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    The problem isn't your setup. A customer retention rep just told me that you couldn't play recordings from the HR24 through the HR34, but you can play HR34 recordings through the HR 24.

-Greg

3. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Same kinda problem here. When watching a recording made on my HR24, on my HR34, if I try to "speed" thru commercials, there
    is a long pause before the recording gets started. Same when I first hit play, Long pause before the recording starts. Just grin and
    bear it is what I do... but my "better half" doesn't grin...

4. energyx

energyx Cool Member

Aug 8, 2011
    That's what the rep told me too when I called to get the upgrade, but why does the Genie even show the recordings if they cannot be played back? Doesn't make sense to me.

Edit:
    I was able to watch one 30 min show with only a few pauses in playback on the first day, but most just stutter and freeze like there isn't enough bandwidth to play.

5. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    Call Directv and and have them send a tech. Before I had my HR34 replaced with a HR44 I could view and fast forward recordings between my 24 and 34 just fine with no problems. I was having other connection problems and the tech replaced the 34 with a 44, swapped out the splitter/SWM and replaced the LMB. I suspect these problems would be resolved by replacing the splitter/SWMs if the coax is in good shape and up to specs. One or both of the boxes could have issues too. Ask for Customer Retention if you've been with D* for awhile - they've been good to me

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What version of software are you on with the '34? These issues may be resolved via software update.

7. energyx

energyx Cool Member

Aug 8, 2011
    0x6db downloaded on 8/4 9:08a when the HR34 was installed. The HR24 has software from 6/18, not sure of the version ATM. So is playback from HR24 to HR34 supported? It seems we are getting mixed answers and I don't see why it wouldn't work.

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    This is so wrong! I have 6 DVRs and can play anything from anyone. . including the 34 or 24. Always have since MRV has been introduced.

9. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Indeed, as Dennis notes, it's supported and generally just works. You should check to see that external devices are allowed, and perhaps do a Menu reset of the both boxes. I don't think the version of your software is an issue here.

10. energyx

energyx Cool Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Should I do the settings reset? I verified external is all enabled and everything is open. I was able to watch most of one show again last night, but it did start stuttering toward the end.

11. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    It's your hardware or cabling...

12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I can't disagree with that, but in the mean time, do try a reset of both receivers- Menu-Settings-Settings-Reset-Restart Receiver.