New HR54 is here!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bearcat250, Apr 30, 2016.

1. bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    I got my new HR54 today. Upgraded from an HR21. I noticed that this has very little connectivity and far as component cables, phone jack, etc. First question, what function does the A/V out serve and what type of cable/connector do I need if I were to use it? Not much out there for manuals other than a generic Genie manual. Anyone know a link/website where I can get a manual for the HR54? I'm sure I'll have more questions, so stay tuned!

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The AV out port uses a dongle breakout cable that gives you either component with audio cables or a composite with audio cables. You can get it from DIRECTV or a place like solid signal.

Doesn't have a modem phone jack for caller ID but otherwise there's nothing it doesn't really have.

Asking questions here is probably better than any manual you could find.

But why do you want to use av outs? It can cause issues if you plug in HDMI at the same time but don't have the HDMI connection working on certain tvs at the same time.

There's more search options for sports and sports records and such. And you get season episode info. But for the most part it's a lot like your HR21. Only should be plenty faster.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Do you have a 4K TV? Give the 54 a day or two to download all your guide data. Enjoy.

4. May 1, 2016 #4 of 41
    alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Some of the various forums have what's called a "First Look" post that will provide you with most of the information you are looking for. Especially since you are a seasoned Directv subscriber.

5. May 1, 2016 #5 of 41
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    i use the AV out with a component cable to feed a TV with only two HDMI inputs. I also use that TV with a Roku 2 and a Blu-ray player which only have HDMI outputs. If it had another HDMI input I would use that, however.

6. May 1, 2016 #6 of 41
    bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    I have some wireless speakers that require an audio out RCA plug. I was using these speakers with my old HR21. I was wondering how I could use the A/V out for these speakers.

I'm getting used to the HR54. So far so good

Just a couple of questionable issues when I placed the order. I do not have the protection plan. To get the installation without paying the $49 fee, I was told I could enroll in the protection plan and the fee would be waived. I would get the first 30 days for free and after the installation, I could cancel the protection plan. After the installation, I tried to cancel the "plan" and was told I needed to wait 30 days or there would be a $10 fee. No big deal but I should have been told.

Second issue. I was not told that whole home was a requirement with the HR54. I was not told this and I was enrolled without my knowledge. When the installers arrived I was told that I was enrolled with Whole Home. I told them that I did not want it mainly because of the added cost. I really don't need it. So the installers did not set up the whole home, which would have included the HR54 and an HR21. Once again I called D, this time to cancel whole home. I was then told it was a requirement and it could not be cancelled. The only option was to replace the HR54 with a "lesser model". So I decided to keep the HR54 and tried to set up the whole home. Come to find out I needed an additional piece of hardware for the HR21 to work with the whole home. Now the installer needs to return.

The reason I'm telling my story is because I'm venting to the world and mainly to say that D should have made the clear to me.

OK, that's enough for now. I'm sure there will be more!

7. May 1, 2016 #7 of 41
    bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    I do not have a 4K HD TV. The guide took overnight to load and all my programs in the series manager are scheduled to record on time. Being able to record this many channels at one time is handy.

8. May 1, 2016 #8 of 41
    bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    I looked at some of these "first looks", but being a self described techno geek, I like having a manual. With that said, with the old D receivers there were tricks and tips that the older D receivers were capable of that were not made available by D. One example would changing to 30 second skip instead of the 30 second scroll. Is the HR54 capable of any remote tricks/short cuts that are not well known?

Ramona Bieronski likes this.
  9. May 1, 2016 #9 of 41
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The Genies (HR34, 44 and 54) require Whole Home. Even if you only have 1 Genie and no other devices. They should have told you that when they were confirming your order and the charges.

You'll like being able to access all the shows from the 54 on your 21 and vice versa.

Unless you're real happy with the 21 or it has a bunch of non-replaceable recordings, see if they can swap out your 21 with an HR24 when they come out. You'll like the speed of the 24 much better.

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Do a keyword search for MENUSC. This will enable Menu Short Cuts feature. To use this feature using your DIRECTV remote press MENU, 0 for Settings......1 for Movies......2 for Sports......3 for TV Shows......4 for Smart Search......5 for On Demand......6 for Playlist......7 for Recordings......8 is currently not in use......9 for Pandora.

11. bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    Next comment. On the new remote that comes with the HR54 I've noticed that the two channel and volume up & down buttons are very easily hit unintentionally. I quite often pause a program and watch another to avoid commercials. Twice yesterday while watching a program that was "behind real time" I accidently hit the channel up to change the channel. When I channeled down to the program I was watching it was back to real time and I lost some of the program.

12. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    If you want to watch 2 channels and switch back and forth, start DoublePlay bypressing the down arrow. It will ask if you want to start Doubleplay by pressing the down arrow again. Then you have two channels recording that you can swotch between by just pressing the down arrow.

13. bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    I have been using dual live buffers since the days of my SD Tivo about 10 years ago. The issue I was commenting on was that on the new RC73 remote it is easy un-intentionally hit the channel up/down button and change the channel. Now you've lost what you were watching on the previous channel that was on the buffer.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try using your old remote to run the 54 in IR mode. It is still supposed to work.

15. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    The RC7x remotes take much patience (and training and re-training" for several months) to become proficient with them. Other buttons to watch out for that can get one into trouble at first:

1. Don't confuse the record and red button.

2. Watch out between "previous" and 30 second skip buttons, they're close enough together to get into trouble with if not looking, as well as the (less destructive) mute and replay.

3. The (already mentioned) all-too-easily-bumped ch up/ch down toggle switch.

4. Re-positioning of the guide, list and menu buttons, which require a much longer "reach."

5. Accidentally turning to channel 2 when trying to pause/play.

My experience had taught me that it's safer to record rather than using live buffer, at least until getting more proficient through lots of patience. Take it slowly and deliberately for a while until you get used to it. But if you're playing a recording, the worst thing happens you only get "dumped-to-live" bumping the toggle.

I wouldn't be using it at all except I finally had to relent when IR just became too impractical to use from the next room. I still use an old remote when in the same room, though, and only made one "mistake" turning it off when I was trying to pull up the menu. I'm now proficient on both remotes and use them every day.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, any remote that works with the older boxes will work fine with the 54, as long as it's IR. Only RF requires the new remote.

17. bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    OK, I've had the HR54 for a few weeks now and have a couple more observations. On occasion I will either fast forward or 30 second skip through a recording and when the recording starts replaying the audio is gone. A few 30 seconds skips forward or backward brings the audio back.

Something I miss on the new style RC73 remote is the button that was on the top of the RC64 with the square on it. This button would instantly stop playing a recorded program and return to the recorded program information page where I could then delete the program,resume playing the program, look for future episodes, etc. With the new remote I need to press the list button to get to the guide and select the program to get to the program information page. Just something I observed and miss.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Have you tried Jimmie's suggestion?

19. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I have the same problem on my HR44-500. It appeared a few updates ago and continues.

20. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    That was the STOP button, and many people miss it. You can use your old remote (assuming you don't need to have an RF remote) if you want, or I believe hitting the left arrow button axxomplishes the same thing as the stop button when watching a recording (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't use the new remotes often).