New HR54 makes my HR24s seem slow

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by millercentral, Oct 13, 2015.

1. millercentral

millercentral Mentor

Oct 24, 2007
    So this week, DTV replaced my aging HR34 with a brand new HR54. This difference in performance is not subtle. The HR54 is incredibly quick, from initial boot (less than 3 minutes) to menu navigation, everything is much, much faster.

So fast in fact, it has made the two other HR24s I have in the house feel sluggish. I haven't yet been willing to give up HR24s and go with Genie clients, but the gap in performance is the first thing to make me think about it. Are there any known plans to refresh non-Genie recorders? (I'm guessing no). Can anyone who has made the switch from HR24s to Genie Clients recommend it?

Thanks!

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I haven't made the switch. But I can't in good conscience recommend minis in place of working DVRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Keep the DVRs. At the very least, go with H25s over clients.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    While my HR54 is indeed faster than the HR24, after recently managing to finally rid the setup here of the last of our old "stuck-in-mud" DVR boxes. An HR21, an HR22, and an R22, all for HR24s.

Makes me more than appreciate the HR24's speed even though inferior to the HR54.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How many people in your home? And how many tuners are ever in use watching live to or recordings at the same time? Do you record everything you watch?

It's difficult
    To reconnect shrinking a systems capabilities in terms of recording space and series links by almost half of you have been using it a lot.

6. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I kept my 24s, same cost and I can record more programs at the same time.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've never considered the Genie clients as a viable option to my 24s. I'd rather have the extra capacity and the extra SLs along with the extra tuners that act independently of the Genie. Think about it: You have four TVs, one fed by a Genie and the other 3 fed by clients of the Genie. The Genie goes south. You have no way to access your content until you get a new Genie and then you'll have to start over. Seems like a losing situation to me.

Rich

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I did replace an H25 with a client when we upgraded to the HR44. Under protest.

And I only did that because the H25 was in our guest bedroom/sometimes office for my wife. So the two users of that room (MIL several times per year and wife) could never figure out the H25. I told my MIL anytime she wanted to record a show just select the first DVR on the list. Didn't matter how many times I told her, she would always asked me first -- even calling me at work during the day while she was visiting or waking me after I went to bed to find out which DVR to use.

My wife, would be in the office working and would want to rewind the show. Again, even though I told her to record anything she was watching while in there, she always forgot.

So that is why I gave up an H25 for a mini. Had we had room in the guest room, I would have moved one of our DVRs to that room and installed the mini in one of the kids room (who are much more technically savvy than my MIL or wife).

9. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    If a hard drive in a genie fails you lose the recordings obviously but you can still watch live tv till a replacement arrives. ;)

And just to let the op know rich does not have a normal system and he records everything on at least two machines as I recall...

Genies and minis are perfect for many and not for others. Minis definitely have their place.

10. millercentral

millercentral Mentor

Oct 24, 2007
    Thanks, that confirms my instincts to keep the HR24s. Appreciate the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Good call!

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You got an excellent service call.

Keep the 25 if you like it and are used to it.

Where do you live? Just curious based on your comment that the installer only had hr54s on his truck.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Anything of value gets recorded on at least three DVRs. I still don't trust these things. I watched the playoff games on TBS on the Genie and didn't mind the Progress Bar popping up after every 30 second click. TBS didn't have anything down there that was blocked by the PB. I still don't see any difference in speed when using the Genie compared to my 24s. I do like the 5 tuners.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Intelligent. I like that.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wasn't that long ago that everyone was raving about the 34s.

Rich

16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Rich I'm curios how many DVRs playlists can your genie see? I wonder if that might affect speed when you get ten or so. I haven't seen any speed difference between one and five but as I recall you are around 10 right?

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep,

Seems like just yesterday I was about to have a nervous breakdown when the tech. threatened to cancel my first upgrade to a Genie, an HR34 (only model that existed then), when I tried to get the WO changed to keep an HR22 that was to be swapped out in exchange. It still had many shows I wanted to watch on it.

Now recently once I got a chance to swap out the HR34 for an HR54 I couldn't jump at the chance fast enough even though I had more shows on the HR34 than I had on that HR22 that I wanted to see. :)

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Service plan doesn't have anything to do with it. If a tech replaces (or drop shipped) a replacement of the same class, it never adds to the contract. The Protection Plan just can waive the shipping or tech fee. The HR54 is in the same class as the 34, so no contract to swap out.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, ten, nine 24s and the Genie. I don't pay too much attention to how many HRs each HR sees anymore, I just occasionally walk around the house and reset all of them. Takes about an hour or so. Then they all show up on each HR.

Rich

20. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    If you are ever are bored I'd be curios if the hr44 was faster for you if you didn't have any others connected to it or even just a couple others. It's the one test I can't do... I don't have enough active DVRs. ;). Because for me it's clearly a lot faster then a HR24... From Channel changes to remote response (I like the new remote better than the old one by far. )