New Icons

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by -Draino-, Nov 24, 2011.

1. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I see a tomato icon and a popcorn icon on some movies when I hit info....what do these mean?

I did search these forums but I couldn't find anything :)

2. brian188

brian188 Legend

Oct 13, 2007
  3. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have the new HD GUI and thats the only DVR those icons show up on

4. brian188

brian188 Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    I have it too, but haven't seen the icons yet.

5. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/
    http://www.flixster.com/

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, those are the social media ratings. For those who want to see them, check out the HDUI first look... Follow the sticky thread at the tip of this forum.

7. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    THose who have the new GUI are lucky. It is only get roll out to NV, Conn, or if you work at Directv. I who live in California will not see this until sometime in late December when D* does a national roll out.
    I think this is not quite fair, but D* must have thier reason.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Among all the things in life that aren't fair, this one is definitely minor. And, yes, they do have their reasons.

9. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Ok I remember seeing the tomato and the popcorn but right now the wife is watching "House Bunny" on TBS and when you hit Info there is a clover looking thing (saying 55%) and a trash can (saying 45%).

10. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Many reasons. Whenever you do something new like this, some customers call. You don't want to overwhelm the call centers but just sending the software update to millions upon millions of receivers and customers. So it's staged to go to certain geographies.

Plus, despite a tremendous number of hours testing, you never know what might have been missed when you release it into the wild. So by slow rolling it at first, you learn if anything might have been missed.

Just see Apple and their new iOS 5.0 that needed a patch very soon after because of the battery issues that the software introduced. I'm sure they tested it to the hilt but sometimes things don't go totally as planned in the wild vs in the lab or in beta tests. Hopefully everything goes well with the deployment here by D* in the coming weeks.

11. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    The clover thing is really a smashed tomato that someone threw and the trash can is a spilled popcorn bucket. ;)
    It means that percentage of people didn't like the movie.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, rotten and not fresh. They need a 75% of good reviews with 40 reviews (including 5 top critics) to be certified fresh.

13. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    House Bunny has hot chicks. That right there has to be good for 50-40 points. :lol:

14. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Nothing to do with fair or unfair, it's smart business.

15. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    RottenTomatoes.com is a great site for movie reviews. It's my #1 go-to source, and the addition of "fresh" ratings is a big-time win for D* clients.

16. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Funny too!

17. Zippy

Zippy Mentor

Jan 14, 2007
    The "jack", is a "rotten tomato" (or thrown / splatted tomato - depending on how you want to look at it) -

From Flicksters forums:

"The Tomatometer is an aggregated score based on the number of film critics who recommend the movie. A Fresh red tomato indicates a positive critic review, or a Tomatometer of at least 60% positive reviews. A Rotten green tomato denotes a negative critic review, or a Tomatometer representing fewer than 60% positive reviews. Movies that have a Tomatometer of 75% or greater and at least 40 reviews from Tomatometer critics, including at least 5 from Top Critics, receive a special designation of Certified Fresh, which appears as a badge on the main movie page.."

The popcorn container and popcorn container on its side with spilled popcorn (the trash can looking icon) are user ratings calculated in the same manner as stated above for the tomato ratings.

:D