1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New install, have questions.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by CrawGator, Nov 27, 2010.

1. CrawGator

CrawGator Cool Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Hello all,

I am a long time Dish customer and have decided to give Direct a try. They are offering much beter deal.

I have ordered the choice ultimate package with "free HD for life". Equipment will be: 2 HD/DVR's, 1 HD and 2 SD receivers. WHole House DVR package.
    I have a pole mount already that current dish is on. I do want new cable (have 12+ year old cable that is now hidden by vinyl siding). I want the new cable run thru the attic. Current receivers is 3 so they will need to wire 2 new connections.

What should I expect on the install? I hope they can use the existing pole for the new dish. Can they use a single coax run from satellite dish? What about HD programing? Won't there need to be internet connectivity? If so it will have to be wireless. What about phone connectivity? Is that still required?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Welcome to DirecTv. I doubt the pole will be the correct size, but they should be able to replace it with one. Attic installs may cost extra, and are probably not included in the "free install". Best get clarification. The will use a single wire from the dish to a splitter, then one to each receiver/dvr. There will only be internet connectivity if you ordered the INTERNET CONNECTION KIT along with the Whole Home install. No phone line is required if you have internet connection installed. It sounds like you need to call and make your wishes (especially the attic install) clear to insure you get the install you want, and are not surprised by any surcharges.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Now called the "Cinema Connection Kit".

4. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I'm not 100% but I am pretty sure D* is giving away the ICK's now. Whether you order it or not, it comes on the work order.

5. UAWELDER

UAWELDER New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    I was in your situation, just switced from dish to direct. I also wanted 2 hddvr's along with 2 non hd recievers. The location for my dish mount was non stanard also.

I found out from this site, that you needed hd recievers to allow whole house setup to work. So when I ordered it was for 2 hddvr's 2 hd recievers, whole house and the cinema kit. The hd recievers will drive non hd tv's just fine. This will allow for later upgrade on my part only. My house has the old kind of wireing thru out the 2cd floor as I only had dish on the first floor only.

The installer came out and had problems with where I wanted the dish mounted. On the peak of the second floor roof mounted to the facia board, same location as the old dish. The other problem was that he had no concept of personal hygene. So he was sent packing.

I cancelled my order and decided to go with a local brick and mortar company to do the install. I negotiated for the free install if I ran all the new wires and they provided the wire. I ran 1 wire from the dish w/ ground and 1 wire from each room. These I terminated in the attic of the garage. The installer came out he handed me the indoor equip and I installed it while he installed the dish and aimed it. He was in and out in about 2 hours. He was happy and so was I. This was a much better alternative to having one of the stinky and inflexible independant contractors. The best part is they are local and will cover the warrenty for the 1st 90 days. No surprises, yea.

Thanks again to everyone on here for their advise. Really appreciate it.

Lee

6. CrawGator

CrawGator Cool Member

Nov 23, 2010
    When I made the order, the CSR let me speak to an installer and I asked very specific questions about what I wanted.

I was very specific that I wanted all new cable and new runs to the existing TV's and new locations that I did not currently have connections. With main segment running from existing pole underground to house then thru the attic. They said if each run was less than 125' it was included in the "free professional installation". I asked about the existing pole mount and was told NP, if I wanted it there and it was less than 125' it was included. I purposefully waited till it cooled off as I know its a bear to work in an attic in the south during the summer. Once upon a time I pulled cable for a living and try to be respectful to folks doing work for me regardless.

Only thing I didn't ask about was the internet. As it stands now, I have a pending order. Supposedly the tech will be here next week to do a site survey and talk with me about how I want it set up. If I don't like it I can cancel the order and not owe anything.

I will call today and ask specifically about the internet connection. Anything else I need to ask about? I will reiterate I want wires thru attic.

7. CrawGator

CrawGator Cool Member

Nov 23, 2010
    I signed up for the whole house as well but was told the equipment I ordered, 2 HD/DVR's, 1 HD and 2 SD receivers were fine and would work. I'll call back and ask. Thanks!

8. CrawGator

CrawGator Cool Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Interesting twist.

I called to inquire about my install. They have no record of my order. I spent almost 90 minutes on the phone talking with various folks yesterday to make sure I was getting what I wanted. The CSR offered to give me the account number but I said not to worry as she would email it. I have no email and no account number. So somewhere in their system is a name tied to my CC#. Its a bit disturbing that they cannot do a wildcard search with most of the letters of a name. They can only search with by specific name.

All I can do at this point is reorder according to them. I have talked to sales, customer service and install department. No record can be found.

I'm not certain what to do at this point. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling. Maybe I should just stick with Dish and negotiate a better rate with new equipment.

Suggestions? Ya'll that have Direct, you have any issues like this? Is it worth the effort to redo the entire deal with them?

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    First suggestion might be to call back a couple of more times (what we call "CSR Roulette"). Chances are you might find a CSR that can track down your order. You might also email DirecTV providing as many details as possible in the email so they can check it out and get back to you.

If you try and place a new order, and there is already an existing order, the system should figure that out (either by phone # or SS# if you provided it). Perhaps one of the folks who has experience with the DirecTV systems might comment on that.

10. CrawGator

CrawGator Cool Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Carl, thanks for the suggestions. I'm doing just as you suggested. So far I am on my 3rd call, 3 different CSR's and 2 different supervisors. No go.

I have not actually placed another order as of yet. I'm on the fence now whether I should change or not. They quoted a good deal but if they can't complete a simple data entry task I'm concerned for the future service!

Arrgghhh!! :mad:

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Since they seem to have your CC#, I'd keep checking it to see if anything has been charged.

12. CrawGator

CrawGator Cool Member

Nov 23, 2010
    I've decided to order again.

Can folks review this and make sure I am asking\getting what I need.

I have 5 tv's total.

I want HD on 3 of the TV's and DVR capability. HR24's for DVR what about other HD boxes?

2 of the TV's SD. Model receiver?

Whole house DVR

Internet connectivity so I don't need a phone line. Will have to be wireless.

So I need to ask for cinema connection kit and internet connection with wireless?

I want them to use my existing pole and new cabling thru out routed thru the attic.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Order ALL HD equipment. The price is the same, buy you will get much newer and faster receivers. (only caveat would be if your tv's dont have a video in, since the hd receivers dont have a coax out)

I dont know if wireless internet will be available from the installer. Any reason they cannot run a coax from the splitter to wherever you have your router?

They may have to replace your existing pole, if it is the wrong size, but shouldnt be an issue.

14. CrawGator

CrawGator Cool Member

Nov 23, 2010
    The situation is I have my T1 interface for internet in my office. My office is attached to the house but its a bit of pain to cable to it. I have a breezeway that connects the 2. This has a small hole cut in each roof where I ran my phone lines. The office has a TV so if they could use that TV as the connection to the internet then coo but it would have to be CAT5 cable they run not coax and it would have to be run thru the walls up into the attic and to the TV.

Understood on the HD. I will make sure I order all HD. All the TV's have at minimum component connections. I assume that's what you mean by video in?

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If there will be a DirecTv coax there where the internet is, then it can use a splitter, one to the tv, the other to the internet.
    Yes, any input better than RF on the TV, be in Yellow video, or Red/Blue/Green.

16. CrawGator

CrawGator Cool Member

Nov 23, 2010
    I'm not following. My internet connection uses cat 5 cable from the T1 interface. At no point do I have coax. Can direct use a cat5 cable connection?

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you can put a router between your T1 connection and your computer, the Cinema connection kit or whatever they are calling it today, has a coax input which hooks to your directv system, and a cat5 output which plugs into your router. It bridges the DECA network (coax) with your home network (cat5).

18. CrawGator

CrawGator Cool Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Thanks Davenir. From your description it sounds like I'm set with Cat 5 connection. :)

19. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Im not understanding your problem...The coax network DirecTv uses can be bridged ANYWHERE on the coax to a cat5. Now, if you want to bridge that cat5 wirelessly to your router, you can, or you can run cat5 directly to it. If you have cat5 and a DirecTv receiver in the same room, you can easily join the two together. If you plug the DirecTv receiver directly into your network using ITS cat5 network connector, you will disable its ability to use Whole Home video, unless ALL the receivers are plugged into the cat5 network.

So, having said that, if your T1 connection is cat5 to your computer, and your computer and at least one of the DirecTv receivers are in the same room, it is easy to use the internet connection kit to join the two together. You can do so wirelessly (at your expense I believe), or using a router (unless your T1 modem has one built in).

20. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can't feed a DirecTV receiver with cat5 only. In your office, if you will not have a coax for DirecTV, then the suggestion to tie in your network at the point won't work.

SD receivers can't do MRV/whole-home. For that reason alone I would get all HD equipment.

You can't specify the model number when ordering from DirecTV. HD DVR or HD receiver (but not HR24). If you specifically want HR24's then you need to work through some other resource (local retailer or vendor who does installs).