1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Install - Line of Sight Issue!! Plz Read.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by j0hnnyv, Jul 20, 2010.

1. j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv Mentor

Oct 27, 2008
    if anyone here is good at using dishpointer.com the address is:

110 margate avenue
    marmora, nj 08223

I would love a confirmation if this installer was being truthful. He came over as being rather lazy. I am getting a 2nd opinion, a supervisor should be out tomorrow to check it out. He said my standard def signal levels were 100%, my HD signal levels were around 50% and he couldnt activate the boxes since it has be greater than 80%. His exact words to me: "you have to cut or prune that tree, I can not install everything and wait for that to get done, if this job isnt marked complete i do not get paid"

Understandable, but very frustrating for me. I bought a new home and its been too many days without TV. I have a tree guy coming today to give me an estimate to get rid of it. Here is the tree:

[​IMG]

That tree is not as close to the house at it seems, that is atleast 20 feet back, but I do agree it is a 40ft tall tree. Probably going to cost me 500-1000$ to remove it. That is the SouthWest Corner of the home shown in the picture.

Any suggestions? So frustrating. He showed up with 3 HR24 boxes and he packed up and left :(

Thanks for any input at all. I will keep you posted.

2. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    You need clear line of sight to point to 99,101, and 103 west. It doesn't look like you have it. you may have a tree trimming bill in your future.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That is a lot of tree problem. Hate to say it but you might be better off with Cable or FIOS if it is available.

4. j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv Mentor

Oct 27, 2008
    I am about to meet a tree guy for an estimate on removing that big beast. My luck, Ill remove it and the supervisor will show up tomorrow and say theres another tree that is a problem too. This installer for what its worth was pretty adamant that if that 1 tree is gone or cut in half basically i would get 100% signal.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not knowing where you plan to mount the dish, it's hard to get a good idea from dishpointer, but you should be able to use the obstacle tools.
    If you drag the green marker around and the move the red pin, you should get some idea of what and how high.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• NJ.PNG
      NJ.PNG
      File size:
      892.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Well, you have several choices, as you said you cut that tree, or you move your dish, I had the same problem, I had to move the dish and run 225 feet of cable (with solid copper), no problem so far. I looked at Dishpointer and it seems that you could put your dish farther from that tree. You don't have to put a dish on the roof, you can put it whereever you want. Mine is anchor on a dead fallen tree. I am sure you could install that dish on a different location according to your adress, but of course it is hard to see on the pic provided by this website.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Another thing you might want to try is that phone app they [dishpointer] demo. Might save you some cash. Check out the video.

8. j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv Mentor

Oct 27, 2008
    He wanted to put it on the side of the house that is showing, that is facing west. more towards the front tho, the opposite side of the corner of the building shown. Still said I guess in its signal path that tree is blocking it. Cant I put some big long piece of wood into the ground in the front yard off to the side somewhere and put the dish on that???

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You can do as I needed to and use a 2" steel pole to mount the dish.

10. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    That's exactly where you should put it.
    The picture you provided is not adequate. It's not readily apparent that the "trees" in the image are mostly shadows, not representative of the property. The 3D image off of Bing (not dishpointer) allows for an aerial view from the West, where you can clearly see an open unobstructed front yard. The best location for the dish is a pole mount in the very front (north) of your front yard, just to the left of your driveway as you exit off of Margate, looking over your house and the trees beyond. You will have a long run, but won't have to deal with trees, now or in the future.

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    IF that red dot is the south corner of the building & the green line is the LOS to the 100 W launch position.........I see a dish in the front yard.

A useful term may be CinC. This is cable in conduit. There are underground utilities companies that work mostly for the cable companies. They can run as many lines as needed ( 1 to 4, depending)......under the lawn & driveway and around to where the ground bond is located without trenching.
    Each line will be in hard plastic conduit. (CinC)

Consult MISS UTILITY & find the septic tank, if any.

That is a pretty big tree to remove just for TV (IMHO.)

Good pic, Old School!

Joe

12. j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv Mentor

Oct 27, 2008
    Thanks for all your input and thoughts you guys are really awesome. I eventually want to clear out those big trees anyway and my backyard can be as big as the front in the sat. photo. I had a tree guy come over for an estimate and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Be here tomorrow at 9:30AM and he is going to remove the 50' tree shown in the picture, grind the stump, and remove a 35' oak tree that is on the east side of my house and it leans over the roof. Guess how much? $600 for BOTH with the stumps grinded. I could not pass on that deal and he will come by tomorrow morning and get it done.

I called back the installer company and had them put notes on my account that the tree obstructing view will be removed tomorrow morning so hopefully the supervisor who is coming by for my 2nd opinion will come tomorrow afternoon and we will be good to go for the install. Worse case, I got a great deal to remove 2 huge trees I needed gone anyway and I will have them run it on a steel pole in the front yard.

I will keep you guys informed, you have no idea how hard it was for the installer to show up with 3 fresh HR24 boxes for me and then not have the correct signal strength to do the install :nono2:

Thanks again to all.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That site has been helpful. The "green pin" can be moved all over the site and the green line is the center line to the 101 [selected by the dish type shown at the top]. Then the other "red pin" can be dragged along the line to see what the heights/distances need to be. The 100.7 is because it can be moved off the center line to look for the other LOS problems for 99 & 103. I just hadn't dragged it that far off the centerline.

14. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Just a note. A technician should NEVER tell you to cut or prune a tree. Several damage claims have been filed because a customer was told to cut a tree, then later told the dish could have gone elsewhere.

When I know trees have to be trimmed/cut/pruned I tell the customer "I'm not telling you to cut anything down, but heres my inclinometer and heres how to use it. It will show you what I see and what the problem is."

Funny anecdote, I was in the mountains of NC at a RV park and a guy had one place to put the dish to get any LOS. I gave him the speech about how I can't tell him to cut a tree but one in particular is in the way. It wasn't 20 minutes before he had the 50' pine cut down, drug out and dumped in a lake. In the mountains they get things DONE!

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That would go along with "the one" that used his shotgun to "prune" the trees.

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I see what you did there... :lol:

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    When my neighbors tree grew up in front of my dish, it caught a disease and died :)
    It was really kinda funny, because it died just about the time it was going to start blocking my signal. He didnt bother cutting it down, but the first storm that blew through broke off one of the big dead branches and it fell on his storage buildings roof and totally collapsed the whole building. Long story short, he cut ALL the trees in his back yard, and I now have LOS from 76 to 131 degrees :)

18. j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv Mentor

Oct 27, 2008
    [​IMG]

That is all that is left of that huge tree shown in the picture. DirecTV is coming back tomorrow between 12-4 to do the install. 1 HR24 and 2 H24s are on the way!!! I will let you know if there is any problems but I just purchased a Panasonic TC-P50VT25 (50" 1080p 3D viera plasma) :D just in time!!!!

JV

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    We need another picture from the front of the house, just like the first one.
    There appears to be a tree in that same line a little further away. ??

20. j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv Mentor

Oct 27, 2008
    There is a huge hole in the sky after that tree was removed. Closest tree like that is 25ft back of the house on the left SE side.

[​IMG]

^^^ pic from front yard showing the tree guy in the tree.

if they tell me they still cant do it when they come tomorrow Im going to have him hang it in the front yard on a stick. :D