1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New install & new account setup question: Multiple DVRs & Networks

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by alex44878, May 17, 2012.

1. alex44878

alex44878 New Member

May 17, 2012
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere I couldn't seem to find an answer.

I'm about to sign up for new DTV service (new customer). My house is a bit odd (2 guest houses disconnected). All 3 houses have had HD DTV service by previous owner, so there are 3 dishes installed already. Here's what I'd like to achieve. Is this possible?

Main house: 1 HR24 + 1 HD receiver with whole home DVR service. Has land line (att u-verse voip).

Guest house One: 1 Tivo THR22. Different broadband network. No land line.

Guest house Two: 2 Tivo THR22 Units, Different broadband network. No land line.

Questions:

- Will the other 3 TiVo units in the guest houses be able to connect via their respective broadband networks without violating DTV TOS? In other words, does DTV care if the devices are on different broadband networks with different IP addresses?

- Would it be simpler to have the installer activate everything in the main house first, then I can move the THR22 boxes to the guest house manually?

Thanks!
    Alex

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    As long as the main house and guest homes are all on the same account, DIRECTV would not care about the three receiver installs using three different BB connections.

I'd say this depends. If the two guest homes each have the proper SlimLine dish installed, then I can't see any reason why the installer would have a problem connecting all the receivers in the three separate homes.

If they are not though I don't think the tech. would be willing to install multiple dishes on the same job. At least not without additional pay for it as a custom install or some other.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I believe the Tivo based units require a land line to activate and to acknowledge need for software updates. You should verify that with in the forum specific to the THR22 though, as I do not have one.

4. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    I work for a DTV dealer. the Tivos can be activated and only needs a broadband connection.

5. alex44878

alex44878 New Member

May 17, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the advice!

6. amenic

amenic Cool Member

Apr 9, 2012
    I think the best adivice is to not use Tivo at all. They have multiple requirements and unsupported features when compared with regular dvr units. No multi-room ever, no option for wireless internet, no game search, no TV apps/Youtube, no 3D, no streaming to other devices, and a smaller library of On Demand. Basically DTV signed a long term contract with Tivo years ago, back when it was the only option. They're required to keep making Tivos every once in a while, so they made a castrated system and did the least advertising possible. Their public stance is "the people asked for Tivo, we listened", but they did the bare minimum. The the new Tivos are glitchy like the HR34, but since they're seen as a relic instead of the wave of the future, they aren't going to be getting proper updates, and they'll be murder to troubleshoot.

7. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    Agreed, but some people like the interface.