1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New install - Pixelation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DR2420, Jul 29, 2018.

1. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    Hello! I just had DIRECTV installed on Thursday and I have been having pixelation going on quite a bit. I know this was an issue for quite a few people and I figured by now it would be resolved. Seems like some channels are worse than others. It's not doing it every second or every minute, but it is happening enough to where it is annoying. I had the HR54 and 3 4K Genie Clients installed. I know there is nothing wrong with the equipment or the install itself. My technician had nearly 10 years of experience at DIRECTV, so I am very confident it was all set up properly. My question is this - Is this basically happening to everybody and just not enough are complaining about it, or, is it affecting people differently based on where they live? This has been going on now for some for over a year, so what in the world is wrong? I saw where people were saying it was a known issue and they were working on it, yet when I have talked to DIRECTV, they haven't acknowledged it at all.. Do they think it is fixed when it's not? Have the agents I have talked to been misinformed? Anyone have any good detail on this? I know they released some different software, but it still seems to be an issue for some, including myself. I don't really see it being brought up as much as it was in the past, so I am just wondering if people are just dealing with it or what.. I would hope this isn't the standard DIRECTV/AT&T has accepted for the service.

2. philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    Just wait for the snow and rain issues

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Location dictates the amount of rain/snow fade one experiences. It's not the same for everyone.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Check you signal strengths on the 101, 99ca, 99cb, 103ca and 103cb. They should be at least in the high 80's and preferably in the mid 90's.
    Pixelation or rain fade which we all get is different than another problem that some are getting. Some get what I call a smearing of the picture. If you back it up with the DVR and play it again it does not do it. This is not caused from rain. It is something in the software. I get it sometimes on my HR24. I get lots of the rain fade here. Usually it blocks and jerks a few times and then it is just out for a few minutes. That is caused by a thick / heavy cloud being between you and the satellite. It can be raining hard on my house and the TV is unaffected. But if it is raining to the southwest of me, that is when mine has a problem and there is nothing you can do about that.

5. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    My signals are all 90+, mostly 95-97%. This is happening when it's clear, blue sky outside. I can understand the signal being impacted with rain/storms and possibly even heavy clouds. That is not the case for this, however. It's definitely something on DIRECTV's side. I already know I can have technician after technician and it will still continue to do it.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you noticed which programs do this the most ? I get it , the smearing picture, most on Live sports.

Does it do it equally on the 54 and the clients ?

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You can be under a blue sunny sky and still have storms near you cause problems. Especially near the lakes, I'd think.

Rich

8. Aug 6, 2018 #8 of 19
    DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    Yeah, it's not a weather issue, that I do know. It seems to do it the most on both Hallmarks and the regional sport networks.. It can do it intermittently on any channel, however. Right now it's probably doing it around 3 times an hour. Tech was here on Saturday, put in a brand new line since that was the only thing that wasn't brand new and it's still doing it. He told me he doesn't think it's isolated to just me and they've been having problems with the software. He basically told me when DIRECTV did updates, they took their time before release and now with AT&T taking over, he told me they are quick to just push everything out to everyone without making sure it works as it should. Not sure if a software problem is causing the pixelation. He also told me they removed a satellite or something, didn't quite catch all of it.

jimmie57 likes this.
  9. Aug 6, 2018 #9 of 19
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My wife watches the Hallmark channel and she says she sees pixelation from time to time. Thought it was because of storms.

Rich

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Happens to me on Hallmark also. But not on the RSNs I watch.

11. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    Yeah, I'm sure she is seeing the same thing I am then. I can't say it's a Hallmark issue because it happens to other channels as well. The pixelation happens for a split second or two and goes away. I never had a pixelation issue with DISH or Spectrum on these same channels. It's just annoying and it shouldn't be happening for what they charge for the service. It's been going on for some time now. I completely understand it if storms are around the area, but that is not what is causing this issue.

12. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    I'm going to start paying more attention to what channels it is doing it on. Hallmark is one, I know that for sure. Of course Hallmark is one of my moms favorite channels to watch. I haven't really watched a ton of channels. Seems like I noticed it on some of the premium channels as well. I have the MLB Extra Innings and it has done it on there as well. I was watching the NASCAR race yesterday on NBC and I don't think it did it once.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Geez, I've had pixelations for years, since 2006. It never goes away. Watch the YES Network, happens quite frequently there. Never had pixies? Never on Dish?

Rich

14. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    The only time it would do it is if the network itself was having an issue or there was bad weather in the area, otherwise it worked pretty much flawlessly. I can say DISH worked more smoothly, I just didn't think the picture quality was as good and they don't have the NFL Sunday Ticket.. They also took my local FOX channel away.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have never seen YES pixilated on DISH. :D

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've gotten to the point where I don't even try to figure out where the pixies come from, can't do anything but live with them.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    For a very good reason.

Rich

18. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    If you have DIRECTV and want to keep it, you pretty much have to.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup. Appears I can get used to pretty much anything. I do think D* is the best provider out there when it comes to sat or cable.

Rich