1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New install questions please

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Riverpilot, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Good afternoon everyone! :D

A question, if I may, about running two tv's off of one box. If I have read posts/information correctly, 1 box is used at what I'll call TV A. Then a line is run from TV A to TV B. Is this correct?

Also, I can get 2 DVR, and 2 HD receivers for $99. May I also request a SD receiver (which is listed as free) for a 5th TV? Or if my area is a HD area, will they state I have to get all HD compatible receivers?

1 other quick question if I may. If I were to only get an H34, and then 4 HD receivers. Would I be able to set up recordings on the other 4 TV, or just on the TV with the HR34?

I hope I stated all that properly... :D

Thank you very much!

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Rather than list all the possible options, first what kinds of TVs are A and B?

If you are in an MPEG-4 locals only market you are only allowed HD compatible equipment. The price for it is up to any deals the CSR is willing to make with you. But without any discounts is $99.00 for an HD receiver.

You may setup recordings on the HR34 from any of the four non-DVR HD receivers with MRV service. But only allowed to simultaneously view any recording, while in process or completed, on the HR34 on up to three of those receivers at one time.

3. Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Thank you HoTat,

TV A and TV B in this instance would be:TV B is a Mitusbishi sd located in my living room. Not used very often. Wonderful tv from I believe 1996. TV A would be in my kitchen, just a little 19" Dynex. This TV I use during cooking etc.. so it would be the main one for these 2.

Or, I guess to make things easier. I could run the line from my main tv in my basement (where I was going to put the HR34) and hook it up to the Mitusbishi TV, even though it is an SD TV? The basement is where all my cables (switches, splits, etc...) would be located. Or would I need a HD TV to be able to mirror this.

As for the the HR34. So in essence I could say do the following. On the HR34 TV I could watch a live program, and then record up to 4 more. Or, watch a live program, record 3 and watch a saved program from another TV? At most, 3 TV's will be in use at any 1 time. :)

Thanks very much for your help! :)

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    How many TV"s do you have? How many are HD and how many are SD?

As for the HR34, you have use of 5 tuners. You can:
    - Watch Live and Record 4
    - Record 5
    - Watch Live and use PIP and Record 3

While all this is happening, you can stream up to 3 recordings to other receivers as part of the Whole Home setup.

- Merg

5. Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Thank you Merg,

I have 4 HD TV's and 1 SD TV.
    I am leaning towards having my main HD TV (with the HR34) also hooked up to my SD TV (mirrored) if that is possible. I rarely use the SD TV, only when family stays over. Hence, if able to run the line from the HR34 this would be the easiest.

Then having 3 HD receivers on the other 3 TV's. However, if I could get a SD receiver for the SD TV, then I would do that. I'd really rather not pay an extra $99 for another HD receiver for the SD TV when I rarely use it.

Certainly hope that all makes sense? lol.. sorry if I'm confusing everyone. :)

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yes, you can get an SD receiver if you want for the SDTV. One thing to keep in mind is that you will not be able to perform MRV on that SDTV.

As for outputting the HR34 to both the HDTV and the SDTV, it can be done as all the outputs on the HR34 are active. You might run into some resolution issues with doing that once you get the HD GUI though.

Your last option is to get a HD receiver for the SDTV. That will give you MRV on that TV and you won't need to worry about upgrading the receiver when you upgrade the TV.

- Merg

7. Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Thank you very much Merg,

Think I will end up with one of the following:

1) 1 HR34 & 3 HD receivers. With the SDTV mirrored from the HR34 box.

or

2) 1 HR34 & 4 HD receivers.

As long as the HR34 will allow me to record and watch from the other TV's in the house, then I won't need anything more DVR wise. :)

Again, thanks for the help and replies. Really enjoy reading these forums and trying to learn. :)

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No problem. With the HD receivers, as long as you hit the Record button, it will start recording just as if you were directly using the HR34, as that is the only DVR that you will have.

And BTW, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

- Merg

9. Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks much again! :)

Also, thank you for the welcome. :)

I suppose since I want the dish installed on a pole by my deck, that will cost extra? Hope it's not too much. I'd be more than willing to "help" with the install. Whether helping dig, etc.. lol :)

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yeah, a pole install is generally extra.

- Merg

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Thanks Merg for picking up the OPs questions in the thread here. Had to run out all day on an errand after my initial post and wasn't able to give additional responses.

Just a couple of points. Not only is an SD receiver not MRV capable as you point out, but I think the OP is in a MPEG-4 only locals market and therefore DIRECTV would not issue him one anyhow.

And as a reminder, where a recording is initiated is not exactly the same. If you should start a recording on the HR34 during a program you will get the record from live buffer feature (assuming there is any buffer material of course), but not if started from one of the remote receivers where the recording will only begin at the point in the program when the record button was pressed.

Starting a recording with an RVU remote client has RFLB, but not from an H2X type receiver.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you are going to mirror that SDTV, make sure you read and understand the several threads discussing the new HD GUI and the impact that will have in your situation.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Correct. If the OP is in a MPEG-4 only area, the SD receiver will automatically be upgraded to a HD receiver. In a way, if the OP is certain they are in a MPEG-4 area, they can order a SD receiver and will automatically be upgraded to the HD receiver at no cost (a good trick if ordering a HD receiver is going to have a fee and the SD receiver does not).

As for my statement regarding recording, I was more referring to the fact that you hit the Record and it will just start recording since there is only one DVR. With multiple DVRs, you would be prompted as to which one to record to.

- Merg

14. Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks guys for the help. Definitely made things more clearer :)

I was actually going to ask about ordering an SD receiver and what happens.. thanks Merg. I'm definitely going to try that trick and see if it works. lol :)

As for being in an MPEG-4 only area. I think so. My locals are in HD anyway.

Once again, thanks for all the help. This site rocks!

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Having locals in HD does not mean you are in a MPEG-4 only area.

- Merg

16. Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    I live in the Quad Cities area. Davenport/Bettendorf/Rock Island. Iowa/Illinois.

If this isn't an mpeg4 area, would you then recommend not getting an SD receiver? I only want 1 dish, etc... I can always just mirror the one tv since I rarely use it.

Sorry for all the newb questions. Trying to learn! :)

17. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No matter what mix of SD/HD receivers/DVRs, you will only have one dish.

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep, your in an MPEG-4 only locals market.

Network ID 563 --- Davenport IA-Rock Island-Moline, IL.

Which means that all your locals are only transmitted in MPEG-4 and usually HD format from, in your particular case, the 103W (Ka-band) satellite group with no corresponding MPEG-2 (Ku-band) SD versions of your locals simulcast on the 101 or 119W satellite group.

19. Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Thank you HoTat2! :)

May I ask where you find that information? I always enjoy learning new stuff. lol :)

Once again, I want to thank everyone for the help. Truly appreciated :)

20. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    This thread has so many questions in it that it is hard to know what has been absorbed. But, do pay attention to the point that trh is making: HD and SD do not play well on the same receiver now that the new HD GUI is in place. People with SD slingboxes attached to their receivers with an HD TV connection are getting their screens overlayed with a notice to reset their box to SD. Piggybacking an SD TV to a receiver with an HD TV attached my not work. The OP will probably need a separate receiver for his SD TV.