1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Installation Recommendation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by butterwm, Aug 4, 2018.

1. butterwm

butterwm New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    We are moving into a new home this week. The AT&T rep recommended we cancel our current DirecTV since we were out of commitment and start new service in the new house. We are just trying to figure out the best equipment for our new setup. New house will have 6-7 tv’s about half of which are 4K. Everything I have been reading about the Genie 2 has not been good. Have there been any significant improvements in the Genie 2 or would the recommended setup being the Genie 1 and 4K genie minis? (This was our setup in our old home)

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The HR54 has a 1 TB hard drive. It can be connected to a TV and will work with receivers, DVRs and clients. It will work with one 4K client at once. The HS17 has a 2 TB hard drive. It is a headless server and will only work with clients. The HS17 cannot be connected to a TV. It will work with two 4K clients at once. I'm not quite sure why the rep recommended canceling your service and starting a new service when you can take advantage of the DIRECTV Movers Deal.

3. butterwm

butterwm New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    He told us we could essentially be a new customer again and the deals are better then the movers deal. I have been reading a lot about the HS17 and people are complaining about so many problems. Do you have a HS17 and have you had any problems with the system?

4. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    The movers deal saves you on reinstallation charges. I moved to a new place. I love money Verizon charged me $90 bucks over 2 months for the reinstall of FiOS internet and phone. Once you activate the HS17 and clients it starts a new 2 year commitment. There is really no way to get around it.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The ATT guy is feeding you bad advice. You can't get a new customer deal until you have been away from DirecTV for a while (I think it's a year). With the movers deal, they will probably offer you an upgrade.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you determine the deals are better for a new customer and go down that path, change the name on the account. Just changing your address won't fool DIRECTV.