1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New iPhone app version available

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dpeters11, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They just released a 3.0 tested compatible version, looks like mostly minor bug fixes. The new version is 1.3.

2. Jul 7, 2009 #2 of 28
    ctaranto

ctaranto Legend

Feb 6, 2008
    The majority of smartphone owners want to know.

-Craig

3. Jul 7, 2009 #3 of 28
    tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    That's what I want to know. The mobile version of dvr scheduling leaves a lot to be desired. There are several channels missing for me. IPhone isn't the only smartphone out there.

4. Jul 7, 2009 #4 of 28
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    are there change or release notes?

5. Jul 7, 2009 #5 of 28
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    All the release notes are posted in iTunes.

6. Jul 7, 2009 #6 of 28
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  7. Jul 7, 2009 #7 of 28
    mstanka

mstanka Legend

Jan 25, 2003
    Yes but the one with millions of users...

8. Jul 7, 2009 #8 of 28
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Can i trouble someone to paste the notes here. Some of us surf on a Wii and don't have iTunes installed. Oh wait, I see you did that. I didn't notice how few notes there were.

9. Jul 7, 2009 #9 of 28
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    :rolleyes:

10. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    For those interested in a scheduler app for other mobile phone platforms there are discussions going on here, here, here and here. This thread is about the new iPhone app.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It really is a minor update. If I had realized my post would become a headline, I'd of made sure to put more detail into the post :)

As for Blackberry, I'm with you guys. I actually have a Touch, so the app is great if I have a wifi signal. I'd love to see it on the Blackberry App World.

12. pixel41

pixel41 New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    This is great. Smart decision for them to release the iPhone app but not a Blackberry one yet. I'm a developer myself, and the movement is clearly towards iPhone apps, even if you're a PC guy. I guess it's a little unfortunate, because Blackberry's were great back 5 years ago. You couldn't NOT find someone with a Blackberry. But unfortunately they got complacent:nono2:. And the developers of the world started convening towards the iPhone, and I think everyone can use common sense to know that wherever the developers go (and therefore the best apps), the money, and eventually the majority of smart phone users will go as well.

Good job DirecTV!

13. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I agree. I just switched to an iPhone from using Windows Mobile phones for years. Yes, the iPhone is a limited in some ways and some the apps are not fully mature. But, compared to iPhone finding Windows Mobile apps is like wandering in the desert.

Doing things that are possible but painful on other mobile phones is easy and even fun on the iPhone. For example, I can find a movie time on my Windows Mobile if I have to. But, on the iPhone, I almost want to look up movie times at random just because it is so easy and cool.

I'm a Windows guy, but the iPhone clearly has the momentum for app development and deservedly so.

14. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I know what you mean. The app is quick and easy to find movies playing in the local area.

15. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Cover,

I just got rid of two Diamond Touch phones because they stunk as phones, but for things like finding movie times it was fantastic. The Windows Live/Bing application would not only find them for me...but would do it with voice commands. I have an iPod Touch and we're now using Blackberries as our phones.
    All in all the Blackberry makes for a better phone. The iPod/iPhone is a nice internet gadget..unfortunately, the iPhone is tied to AT&T rendering it horrid in several areas of the country.

As for the DirecTV scheduler app on the iPhone. It's nice...I don't see it as being all that much better than m.directv.com. Worst of all...they're all tied to the DirecTV backend that seems to miss little things at times...things like not having "tour de france" render any real hits when searched on the day before the race. I guess the front end can only be as good as the database behind it.

16. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    You don't think the Blackberry has millions of users. All carriers have blackberry. Only AT&T has iphone. And the curve out sold the iphone in the 1st quarter this year.

http://news.cnet.com/blackberry-curve-outsells-the-iphone-3g/

17. TheKnobber

TheKnobber Cool Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Looks like they haven't updated the version number on the store. It still shows 1.2.2 as the version. But when you actually download it, you get the 1.3 version.

18. SteveInNC

SteveInNC AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    Uh, yeah, but that's because everyone and their brother knew that the 3GS was coming in the second quarter, so they were holding off on iPhone purchases :D. The 3GS sold over a million units the first weekend.

19. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC

The iPhone app is light years ahead of the m.directv.com or directv.com sites!

But they don't even use the same back-end! Web and back-end programming obviously isn't D*s forte! (don't even mention TVApps!)

As evidenced -- searching for 'tour de France' on the iPhone returns a couple of pages of unrelated France news, PGA golf, World Series of Poker, etc.

Searching the same on m. website returns 7 related VODs and 2 Harry Potter listings!!

And I gave up finding any search of programming on the www site!

Think more 'cycling' and m returns 2 pages of 'The Flying Scotsman' and a couple of the VODs from above but the iPhone app nails it with one category and 36 listings of the Tour! (I don't think VODs are on the iPhone search yet)

I probably use it daily. It's much easier and more convenient than the remote control search!

20. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    Anybody else notice that the guide data in the new version only goes out 7 days? At least that's what I'm noticing when doing a browse by channel. I got 14 days before this version.