New Location

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mocarob, Apr 29, 2019.

1. mocarob

mocarob Legend

Jul 26, 2007
    What type of safeguards are in place to keep people from taking their DVRs to a different location?
    For instance, My service is currently active but I'm moving to a house without an active account but the hardware is present.. Dish, LNB, Deca etc.. I don't want to use their move offer & have to be under contract for 2 years. (nor the transfer service for 1 year) If anybody has experience with this you can always PM me.. Thanks.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How much time is left on your current contract and what discounts do you have now. Might want to do the math about a contract if they will offer you a lot off for movers connection. Even having to pay a termination fee if you leave in a year maybe cheaper to just use a movers connection and update hardware if your stuff is old.

Not sure if they charge you if you do the move all yourself and then just call and change service address.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I think if you do all the work, set up and get working at the new location, then call and change service address (and billing address as applicable), there should be no charge.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    No, as of recent changes you can't change your service address without it being considered a "move" and paying for it.

5. mocarob

mocarob Legend

Jul 26, 2007
    A couple of notes. I'm not currently under contract and if they come out & install the equipment at the new address it's considered a move (as you know) a change of address without an install is a 'transfer of service' according to the retention rep I talked to. A transfer still comes with a 1 year contract. He also talked about how your DVR is now paired with your dish. (which sounds like hogwash) No taking it to your buddies house and using it. (for example)

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They don’t pair any equipment with any dish. That’s hogwash. But I believe the rest. I’d just bargain for a big discount to move.

7. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Have the terms of service been updated to reflect these changes?

8. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You mean you haven't heard about the new DishId and LNBId's that T is using? :D They are also marrying the DVR to the coax and hdmi cables, so if you swap those out, its considered a move ;).

Rich likes this.
  9. codespy

codespy RIP Starr! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    It was a lot easier back in 2005 when I moved, before the movers program started. I had 10 receivers, installed my own dish at the new house, and changed my service address with a call to a CSR, and it was a different zip code. I’m sure AT&T complicated things since they took over.....:(