1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New motherboard has vacuum tubes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by James_F, Dec 23, 2002.

1. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Now this is a chipset after my heart!

http://www.aopen.com/tech/techinside/Bluetouch.htm

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Not only is it a fast computer, but it also heats your entire house :lol:

3. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    They're more common than you might think. I read somewhere that cars even have a version of vacuum tubes.

4. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    And you'll look good also.

Actually I do have an amp with tubes in it on my system right now. My Denon receiver has all the surround sound, but no pre-amp. My old Harmon Kardon pre-amp helps be play all my old records. Tubes are the way to go and I'm glad to see them reappearing in audio again.

5. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    I've owned a couple of hybrid ham radio HF transceivers with 6146 tubes in their finals and the spectral purity of their output signal was a heck of alot better than models with transistor finals.

But as for it being on a computer motherboard - I think it's just for cosmetic value more than anything else.

You can also bet your life that those machines won't be energy star compliant ;)

6. TopCat99

TopCat99 Godfather/Supporter

Nov 3, 2002
    Yeah, what raj says! My Kenwood TS-520 takes the 6146's for finals. And it's got a 12BY7A driver. THe rest of it's solid-state, tho *sigh*

Vacuum tubes/electron tubes/valves... call 'em what you want, you gotta love 'em!

And they do produce much better RF (and AF, as James said) than any ol' transistor :D

7. Russell R

Russell R New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Some forty years ago, a writer for Audio magazine wrote a tongue-in-cheek article describing all the problems transistors presented to engineers when designing high-end audio amplifiers.

He concluded by saying: "Of course, all my problems were solved when the vacuum tube was invented."

8. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    What will the kiddies think when their motherboard goes microphonic?

I love tubes!

9. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Oddly enough vacuumn tubes will be coming back in vogue thanks to terrorism. A nice EMP pulse weapon can stop computers and everything using ICs in its tracks. But vacuumn tubes just keep on ticking.

So much of our economy depends on computers. Imagine just 2 purchased EMP pulse weapons from russia detonated over the central us shutting down commerce thruout the entire country. Scary stuff, all cars with computers, power grids off line, computer operated furnaces out of business. Would devastate the econmy while killing few if any people.....

Food in citys has to be delivered daily, your local grocery store doesnt have more than a few days stock on hand. Disabled cars would gridlock roads so even military vehicles who use standard ignitions would have a tough time getting thru.

Even homebuilt devoices could have the same effect on a city or region. Popular mechanics had a article on this not long ago.

With all computer chips damaged or destroyed it would take forever to get our economy running again

10. TopCat99

TopCat99 Godfather/Supporter

Nov 3, 2002
    Damn! I should hit eBay for a Heathkit HW-101 very soon... :)

11. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    There was a really good book called "War Day" where just a few missles hit the US but the EMP killed everything computer wise. And two reporters go across the country to see what life has become. It is a very quick & good read (for a relatively thick paperback) if you want to pick it up.

The big issue is to backup the data to non-magnetic media that is not succeptable to EMP (CD/DVD-RWs???) and make sure the systems that run the big financial and govt agencies are below ground and shielded (not so easy as it sounds)

12. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    And back to the days 1 warehouse = 1 server :D

I had to build an add-on to the house so I could install my Neo-Dell Tube PC :D Which I ordered via the new Telegraph-Net.

...---..,--...-,---.--,