New Neighbor, New Customer.

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by RichManitoba, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Oct 7, 2019 #1 of 15
    RichManitoba

RichManitoba New Member

Sep 24, 2012
    WI
    We recently had a new neighbor move in next door. We were out talking over the weekend and he noticed my dish. He has never had satellite, only cable TV.

I showed him what I have (DTV, 4K, HR54, Genies, etc) and how it works. He asked about DISH. I told him I couldn't really relate because I've had DTV for 20 years, but I told him my plusses and minuses with DTV. I mentioned I read this site and (another one) for information.

Streaming is another option but he's interested in SAT-TV because of packages. They don't need NFLST, but likes sports. They have 2 4K TVs that I know of.

If you never had SAT TV, currently which service would you pick? I know this opens a can of worms but I guess I'm interested to see as well!

Thank you. I'll monitor the site and report next door.

2. Oct 7, 2019 #2 of 15
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Your neighbor's viewing habits will dictate which service provider (DIRECTV or DISH) will best suit his needs.

3. Oct 7, 2019 #3 of 15
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    D* is the best provider out there, I think. Dish doesn't have quite the PQ that D* has. Dish's hardware might be a bit more reliable. Dish's approach to 4K seems to be a bit more rational. You don't have to deal with the nitwits at ATT if you have Dish (that's a big PRO). Dish does not offer the YES channel (big CON for me).

All that said, I've never had the opportunity to see what Dish programming looks like or how the hardware works or how reliable it is. What I know about Dish is what I've learned from reading about it here.

Rich

4. Oct 7, 2019 #4 of 15
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    From an equipment standpoint Dish’s Hopper 3 is the best out there hands down.
    As to which service is better, well frankly it all depends on what you want to watch. If lots of sports is at the top of the list then ATT has better coverage, otherwise it is 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Both services are fine but if I were to go back to satellite TV it would be with Dish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rich likes this.
  5. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    I wouldn't get satellite at this point, I'd get YouTube TV, as it's way cheaper and more flexible. If money were no object, PS Vue because of their Quad View. If I were forced to get satellite, D* is the obvious choice, since DISH doesn't have NYC and CT sports channels.

6. sparky27

sparky27 New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    We went with Dish..initially mostly because of pricing. The fact that Directv prices jumped in the second year is what turned me off. Directv MAY have better sports..but Dish is no slouch either, we have ESPN 1 &2, Fox Sports and BigTen Network (among others I don't care about) which is all the sports I ever need. We also can authenticate TONS of Apps with our Dish subscription free like Disney+, ESPN, Adult Swim, Fox Sports, NICK etc if you feel the need/want to stream.

Honestly my favorite thing about Dish is the ability to switch your channels up and customize. You can do the Flex pack for $37.99 a month and add sports packs, Outdoors, kid channel packs, etc for $5 to $12 extra per month or jump into a more traditional channel pack. I can do this all from my app, website, chat or a phone call. I also like how they offer free channels for anywhere from a few days to over a month. I started with the Flex pack because it was cheap, but I've moved up into the traditional packages now because I hadn't had cable/satellite in YEARS so I'm loving it lol....

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You can authenticate most of the channels with DIRECTV and from the list when I recently added some channels to my wife's Fire TV, it seems you can authenticate with many providers. Seems more the norm than a unique feature of any provider.

Disney+?? The new streaming Disney+ that starts next month? You can already authenticate that through Dish??

sparky27 likes this.
  8. sparky27

sparky27 New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Yeah I know some cable providers and satellite authenticate. I just find it really cool because I never got to use any of it due to me exclusively streaming or having a smaller cable company. Good call on the app it's not Disney+ I authenticate it's Disney Now. Apparently keeping track of like 20 different apps isn't a strength of mine lol.

9. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    Depends on your region. In NYC/CT, DISH is missing multiple major sports channels. In PAC12 areas, DirecTV is missing that.

sparky27 likes this.
  10. sparky27

sparky27 New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    You're talking about local sports channels like the Yankees Network and Fox Sports Detroit right? I watch football and college basketball so I guess I only care about the national networks/ channels. Good point to note though, the type of people who need their 100 Yankee games per year (small dig at baseball) or who watch Pistons/ Redwings games on regional channels could be missing out depending on their region. Perspective is everything!

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The current lack of Sinclair Fox Sports regional channels nationwide and NBC Sports Chicago expands the problem of not carrying the region's sports outside of the New York area. I expect that the channels will return .. but they have been off for a while.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There isn't any "one provider is better than another" based on missing channels. Disputes, especially over locals, happen more and more often and are probably at least 50/50 to affect at least one channel you care about during a 24 month commitment.

13. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    It's more than just one channel. For NY/CT, DISH is missing the Yankees (YES), the Mets (SNY), and the Huskies (SNY).

Not true for NYC/Connecticut. DISH has been in a fued with YES for about 15 years. SNY has been on and off. DirecTV has had both all along.

14. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    The DISH 40.0 remote is better than any DirecTV remote. Maybe I really like it because it has remained unchanged for many years but it seems to feel natural in my hand. The Hopper is terrific. I do think 16 receivers is overkill but the GUI is relatively common sense.

15. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    I think Rich summed it up the best. I am a Dish subscriber and if I knew my RSN's were not going to be available because of a dispute, I wouldn't have signed with Dish back in the summer. The traditional packages between the two, as far as pricing goes are almost identical. Currently Directv has the RSN's and of course Sunday Ticket, other than that, not a TON of differences.