1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New NHL-HD Channels

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dpluta, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1 of 17
    dpluta

dpluta AllStar

Sep 5, 2006
    Hi.

There's a bunch of new NHL-HD channels in the 700s along side the NHLCI SD channels.

Enjoy.

No MSGHD yet though.

GO SABRES!!

2. Oct 6, 2007 #2 of 17
    bones boy

bones boy Godfather

Aug 25, 2007
    I was just about to post this, and used the "Check if already posted" button. It worked.

Channels 764 through 776 have HD channels listed under each of them. So, more new HD channels for DTV, but only for NHL Center Ice subscribers. :)

3. Oct 6, 2007 #3 of 17
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Very interesting, on my Dad's HR20, the CI HD channels are -1 channels.

Cheers,
    Tom

4. Oct 7, 2007 #4 of 17
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Now, if D* will only provide HD NHL CI games is another story..

5. Oct 7, 2007 #5 of 17
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002

If you want the Sabres in HD, MSG HD will do no good. The Buffalo Sabres organization controls the broadcast, MSG just airs it. MSG HD will air the Rangers which will be blacked out here, Buffalo Sabres HD is only available on Time Warner WNY on a Special Events channel. In order to get Sabres hockey in HD on Dish or DirecTV, the DBS providers have to deal directly with the Sabres not MSG. So expect no Sabres in HD on MSG as the deal appears to be exclusive with Time Warner for now. Hopefully Sabres HD coverage makes it's way over. I live in Erie county, but Time Warner Rochester is my cable company and it looks like we're not even getting it yet.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 17
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I don't think that's the case. I've emailed the Sabres a couple times and gotten timely responses from them:

"Our telecast partner, MSG, handles the distribution of our game telecasts. We are pleased that MSG has reached an agreement with Time Warner Cable for the distribution of Sabres high definition (HD) game telecasts and we understand MSG is in discussions with other satellite operators regarding the same. Hopefully this will hapen sooner rather than later. We want all of our fans to see the Sabres games in HD."

Second email:

"We want all of our fans to have our games in HD. The games are being produced by the Sabres in HD and the signal is then sent to MSG for distribution. Since Time Warner locally has the ability to accept HD, we are sending a direct signal to them and they are showing the games in HD to their customers in Buffalo. The rest of the viewers get it from MSG. How MSG gets the signal to the satellite providers is between MSG and them. Hopefully MSG will be able to come to an agreement with the other providers soon."

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 17
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Still, I really really doubt they'll have the Sabres in HD anytime this season and I hope, especially DirecTV, doesn't. If the Sabres aren't available in HD throughout the rest of Western NY on other TW Cable divisions and it's my opinion satellite shouldn't have them either.

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 17
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    What do you have against Directv? Just because other regional cable systems may not carry the Sabres HD games (perhaps due to bandwidth limitations?) doesn't mean those TV providers that do have bandwidth room should be prevented from carrying them.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 17
    scwiley13

scwiley13 New Member

May 27, 2007
    What, are you serious? Is this like a little kid saying if I can't play than nobody should be able to. If your carrier does not carry it in HD and D* gets it than you can always join the darkside.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    DirecTV is not the end all be all sports HD leader, and I want that to be known. They are no better then anyone else. To see them fall short in the most passionate hockey city in the country will bring me nothing but great pleasure. Sucks for the customers, but then again DirecTV has Sunday Ticket tied up, they tried playing their games with Extra Innings, but a nice slap in the face will serve them well. TW Rochester has plenty of bandwidth, TW Buffalo is the system that actually lacks bandwidth which is why Versus/Golf HD was a temporary channel during the NHL playoffs last year and TW Rochester kept it. The agreement is specific to TW Buffalo for now, I'm just not sure the Buffalo Sabres organization understands most of the 8 county Western NY region is not served by Time Warner of Buffalo.

Been there, done that. Had DirecTV for two years, that was plenty. Doesn't matter what I say or what my opinion on the matter is. Facts are facts and it's a fact as of right now, there is no Sabres HD coverage except on TW Buffalo channel 700 or on the Jumbotron in the Arena.

11. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I never said they were. I just think it's childish to say if I can't have it, then I don't want anyone else too either.

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Childish or not, don't care. DirecTV says I can't have NFL Sunday Ticket, so what's the big deal. DirecTV can be a 2 year old spoiled brat and I can't? It's just business. Like I said it doesn't mater, my position is irrelevant, DirecTV will not have the Sabres in HD and I support that.

13. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Why won't/wouldn't they let you have Sunday ticket?

(I didn't mean for this to turn into a p*ssing match - sorry if it did.)

14. razorback9926

razorback9926 New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    DirecTV would love to have your business and provide NFL Sunday Ticket to your household. But you're right, it doesn't matter...it's just business.

15. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Not me personally, but my provider. It is my choice that I do not want DirecTV service, but DirecTV and the NFL insist on keeping the package an exclusive, which does nothing but harm consumers. I would love to have NFL Sunday Ticket via iNDemand on cable so I can watch real football teams (Bills don't count) but DirecTV has made anticompetitive moves and since I choose not to do business with DirecTV, I can't get NFL Sunday Ticket. It’s not really that important to me anymore, for $370 I could probably get crappy seats and a cheap flight to Nashville to see my Titans in person.

DirecTV wants to keep NFL ST an exclusive, I don’t see one reason why TW shouldn’t have an exclusive on just the HD games of a hockey team in one market.

16. razorback9926

razorback9926 New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    TW is free to pay for exclusivity, if they're so inclined. That's what DirecTV does with NFL Sunday Ticket. It's just business (your words).

Cable companies brought this mess upon themselves. They treated us customers like dirt before DBS satellite technology was around. Now they've seen the light, but for some of us, it's too late. I switched over to DirecTV a decade ago and have never had any complaints. Had cable treated me right all those years, I never would have switched over to DirecTV in the first place.

17. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    You should put 50% of your anger towards the NFL. It takes two to tango.