New OTA channel added, now getting "Searching for signal 771" error on another OTA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Indiana627, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 2, 2009 #1 of 17
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    We had a new OTA channel added on February 25th (WBNG-DT2 channel 12.2 in ZIP 13850). Prior to this, my OTA channels were 12.1, 34.1, 40.1, 40.2, 46.1, 46.2 and 46.3, and all came in fine. Now they are 12.1, 12.2, 34.1, 40.1, etc.

Since OTA channel 12.2 was added, I have been experiencing sporadic "Searching for signal 771" errors on OTA channel 34.1. The first time it happened was that night, and I checked my antenna signal meter thinking that 34.1 was having problems with their transmitter and expected to see a 0% reading, but to my surprise, I saw my normal 88% signal reading for 34.1. I then returned to live tv on 34.1 and the picture was coming in fine. I then realized that was the first time I tried to watch 34.1 since I added 12.2 to my guide earlier that day. Coincidence? Read on...

I then discovered the same thing happened that night on the bedroom HR21-200: I added new OTA channel 12.2 to it's Custom 1 guide that Wednesday afternoon and that night 34.1 was giving 771 error. I then did a antenna signal meter, 34.1 shows there is signal, then exit to live tv and 34.1 was coming in fine. Again, this was the first time trying to watch 34.1 since 12.2 was added to its guide that afternoon. Thinking I solved the problem, I went to bed happy, only to find the 771 error was back in the morning for channel 34.1.

So Thursday morning I reset the OTA settings on both my HR21s, and then reran the initial OTA setup. This again seemed to fix the problem for awhile, only to have the 771 error return on channel 34.1 later.

I'm only getting this error on OTA channel 34.1. All my other OTA channels and all SAT channels are fine. I NEVER EVER had any errors with 34.1 before that new OTA channel 12.2 was added on Wednesday February 25th - the 771 error began happening on both my HR21 within a few hours of that OTA channel being added.

The 771 error usually only happens if I'm tuned to a different channel and something starts recording on channel 34.1 with the background tuner. If I'm tuned to 34.1 and something starts to record on that channel, then it's fine.

So far to try and fix this problem I've reset the OTA settings, reran the initial OTA setup, and restarted the HR21s and none of this has solved the problem. I highly doubt my HR21 OTA tuners are going bad as it would be extremely unlikely that both boxes went bad within hours of each other.

I think adding a new OTA channel definitely caused something to go haywire somewhere, maybe in the database D* uses to provide OTA channels for the HR2x boxes? I just hope it can get fixed quickly as I don't want to have to babysit my HR21s every time something it's supposed to record on 34.1.

Please note: Channel 34.1 is actually channel 4.1 but that station remaps it to 34.1.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this were the addition of an OTA channel causes reception problems with another OTA channel?

2. Mar 2, 2009 #2 of 17
    MattDing

MattDing AllStar

May 11, 2008
    I've had the same problem here.

One of my locals (24.1) has sporadically exhibited the exact same symptoms over the last week or so. I get it on other televisions in my house with no problems and high strength. They delayed their transition until later in the year so I know that nothing has changed with their signal.

My HR21 will display searching for signal when I tune to it. I have re-run antenna setup and that solved it for a few days but the problem eventually returned. I found that if I tuned to the channel by choosing it from the guide it would appear but if I used my Quick Tune preset or watched a recording from that channel from earlier it would be a blank gray screen.

I finally tuned to the channel using the guide, redid my Quick Tune and redid my Series Links and all is well so far. It's almost like the DVR thinks the station changed channels.

I don't know what has changed but I can say I'm not a fan.

3. Mar 2, 2009 #3 of 17
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    My local channel did not make the digital switch yet either, plus this problem started 8 days after the original analog cutoff date of the 17th (at least that's when it started for me). And it only happens on 1 of my OTA channels - ALL other OTA channels are fine. Very frustrating.

Needless to say I'll be babysitting it tonight at 8PM when The Bachelor finale airs or my wife will make me a bachelor again!

Please D* get this fixed - whatever "it" is.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #4 of 17
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Hi neighbor!

I haven't tried to use the OTA too often for recording, but your thread caused me to investigate a little. And yes, I also get 771 with 34.1. But, OTA isn't working to well right now. :( I checked my LG TV and have very bad signal strength at the moment. I can't experiment the way you did because of this.

5. Mar 2, 2009 #5 of 17
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Just to provide further info, the station in question is WIVT 34.1 ABC in Binghamton, NY.

6. Mar 2, 2009 #6 of 17
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I knew you didn't get 34.1 too well anyways, otherwise I would have PM'd you about it for testing. :)

7. Mar 3, 2009 #7 of 17
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    My sister in law called last night at 8:30 all upset because The Bachelor was not recording for her on her HR2x (not sure exact model) on WIVT 34.1 and she was getting the "Searching for signal 771" error. I had finally convinced them to get D* just last month and needless to say she's not too happy.

Also, I had same 771 error problem on WIVT 34.1 last night at 10:00 when my HR21-100 was supposed to record The Bachelor After the Final Rose. We got done watching a recorded program at about 10:20 and were greeted with a black screen with "searching for signal 771" on it. So I stopped the recording, ran an antenna signal test and there was plenty of signal (mid 80s), exited back to live TV and magically the picture was there. Hit the record button and hopefully it recorded the last 40 minutes of the show for my wife.

At least with my sister in laws experience, I can rule out my HR21s going bad.

8. Mar 3, 2009 #8 of 17
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    This is most likely a guide data issue/OTA database issue since the addition of CW in Binghamton. The frequency table might not be right giving these errors

9. Mar 3, 2009 #9 of 17
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    That's exactly what we saw here in the Des Moines, IA DMA. It has been fixed on some receivers, for some channels, but not others. Channels that did not move, did not switch or make any other changes started showing 771 errors. One channel that did change freq, worked fine. So they got the hard one right, and messed up others that had been working perfectly.

It all points to bad data. There have been a ton of posts about this in other threads. (including how to get the data fixed, so I'm not going to re-post it here) It takes time and some determination, but eventually it can be fixed (with enough effort and contacting the right people, typically not D*)

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Some of these problems, if not all, could be solved if the HR20, HR2x/AM21 boxes could scan for channels. Yes the guide might still be wrong, but at least you could record.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    :beatdeadhorse:

It doesnt work that way now, we all know it doesnt work that way, it may never work that way with the current line of DVR's.

12. cajunrc

cajunrc Mentor

Dec 2, 2006
    I have the 771 error on one OTA on my HR20 but not on the HR22 w/am21.
    The channel in CBS 10.1 which is 56.1 and the HR20 is on my outside antenna, the HR22 is in the bedroom with a small indoor antenna and I can get 10.1. I tried rescan with the HR20 and it did not work. With tv on the HR20, when I switch to the tv tuner it doesn't get 10.1 but when I did a rescan on the tv tuner I now get that channel on 56.1.

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I like beating dead horses, just in case they aren't dead. :)

14. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    What is the frequency table? And whose is it: D* or Tribune?
    I assume you're talking about contacting Tribune since they provide the guide data to D* right?

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    No, that is not what worked for me. Try your local Engineer in Charge at the TV station. They can be your best friend if you treat them nicely.

16. cajunrc

cajunrc Mentor

Dec 2, 2006
    My HR20 downloaded OX2D7 last night and this morning I can get CBS 10.1 again. I don't know for sure that this update corrected that problem or not.
    I got the download on the HR22 yesterday afternoon and could get 10.1 before and after the download.

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.