1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New OTT Service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TDK1044, Sep 19, 2018.

1. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I haven't seen any articles on DirecTV's new OTT service, supposedly arriving in the Fall, since the middle of May? Fall is here. Has the project been pushed back?

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    We're actually curious ourselves here now ...

If it's as they say and will really carry everything satellite does OTT (less OTA subchannels no doubt). The family might consider it here depending on the number of simultaneous streams it can deliver, particularly if it cost less.

Currently have a Genie and 5 HR24s so know that may take a beefy internet connection (presently a standard Spectrum 100/10) for OTT to match.

But with AT&T contractors crawling all over my neighborhood now installing AT&T Fiber to launch service in about a month for gigabit internet speeds via FTTH. We can't wait to upgrade. ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

TDK1044 likes this.
  3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Fall is not over till December 20th... just sayin...

4. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Fall doesn't even BEGIN until Sunday, 9/23.

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah ... lol

We were speaking approximately of course. Where we thought there should be some new news on the upcoming OTT service being, for all practicality, the beginning of fall season now.

However we can still take a lot of heart, in that however loose we refer to the fall season.

Wow, nothing it seems match the depths of clueless-ness of "John-Q-Public" these days.

From Jimmy Kimmel's "Lie Witness News" piece a fews years ago

Good heavens! ...

6. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I would have expected an update and another press release by now.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Another? I don't remember any press release. What I remember are some comments that were made and spread via websites that like to quote other websites. I'd consider it more of a forward looking statement than a press release.

KyL416 likes this.
  8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    "Soon".

9. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I think ALL of the info that I've seen about this forthcoming "home-centric" (to use the CEO's term) OTT TV service has come from various public statements that the CEO and other top brass from AT&T have made, including at investment conferences, on quarterly earnings calls, etc. And because of the somewhat loose terminology he's used, there's a bit of ambiguity about what exactly this service is going to look like. (Also keep in mind that AT&T's TV strategy seems to be very much in flux these days.) There's definitely been no polished PR/marketing communications (e.g. press releases) from AT&T on the forthcoming service.

I think all along they've been saying both "fall 2018" and "year-end 2018" as the anticipated window for the debut of the new service. The most recent thing I read awhile back (can't find it now) may have said it would be "in testing by year-end" -- can't recall for sure though. At any rate, we know how these time windows tend to work with AT&T, so first half of 2019 is probably more likely.

TDK1044 likes this.
  10. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    TDK1044 likes this.
  11. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
  12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Four 500 mb/s streams (2 gb/s total) over the internet feeding a SWiM multiswitch?

Ah ... no, don't think so ....

13. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Anything said at quarterly presentations about future products and services are always behind the usual "forward-looking statements" disclaimers that James mentioned. It should never be taken as concrete proof that a new product will be launching on or by a certain date or what the final product will or will not be comprised of.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  14. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I still wonder why they need three streaming services anyway? Why couldn't they just make DTV Now just like DTV and forget WatchTV? They just announced they are adding Dolby Digital to DTV Now. I also think they said DTV Now will do 4k. I know NashGuy says DTV NOW is a skinny service and DTV over IP is the premium streaming service. What about adding all the DTV features to DTV Now and then add a package to DTV Now that had all of the DTV channels. Also have the WatchTV package be part of DTV Now.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We have answered such questions before. To avoid repeating ourselves feel free to read our previous responses. :)

slice1900 likes this.
  16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Not as concrete proof, but the CEO can face legal sanctions for knowingly making false statements - the forward looking disclaimer only applies if he said "this product is coming" and then they change their plans and cancel it. If he said "this product is coming" knowing it had already been canceled or never existed he's in legal hot water (see Elon Musk's situation for a very recent example of this)

17. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yes obviously stating something that you already know isn't happening is a different thing. I'm talking about the more technical details or launch dates/deadlines that people keep on asking about here. The same kind of "forward-looking statements" that gave us things like "all HD by 2016 using LIL", or the more recent "SD going away in 2019" because someone who isn't familiar with the technical side of things used MPEG2 and SD interchangibly during a Q&A session.

18. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I hope I am not repeating myself again, sorry about my last post, but based on what Slice1900 said about higher ups saying things about a new product and not delivering on it could face legal issues, would that be the case if one higher up says something different than another one? I think Stephenson said DTV over IP would be based off DTV NOW however, Donovan said DTV over IP would have the same look and feel as DTV over SatelliteTV.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One of the biggest problems I see is people misreading what the "higher ups" are saying. Second hand comments (at best) are practically treated as product announcements by certain members of what passes for the media online. Often "reporters" have their own ideas and agendas and they hear what they want to hear - while the actual comment made by the "higher up" was so vague that it could have meant anything. So when one sees an apparent conflict between Stephenson and Donovan make sure the statements were actually made by the "higher ups".

As far as the conflict put forth above, I can see where a product could be built on the delivery system used for DIRECTV NOW and have a user experience closer to DIRECTV satellite.

20. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    While we're waiting for this long-discussed new "home-centric" DirecTV OTT service to launch, it appears that AT&T is also on the cusp of launching yet another new OTT service, this one apparently more of an on-demand Netflix competitor that will use Warner Media's large catalog of movies, TV series, and animation. Meanwhile, tech site The Hive tweeted out the following:

HBO will be part of, and bundled with, AT&T/WarnerMedia’s Netflix competitor. “[Customers will] see other strong brands around it.” - John Stankey
    Rich Greenfield tweets additional details from Stankey's appearance at the Vanity Fair conference: HBO will still be available as a standalone OTT service (i.e. HBO Now). This new offering will launch in late 2019 and will include HBO plus additional content at a higher price. It will be distributed both direct to consumer and through existing distribution channels.

So...HBO Plus?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018