New Pause "Feature" is annoying

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DougF, May 20, 2020.

1. DougF

DougF New Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Starting today May 20 2020 when I now pause a recording an ad now comes up within 30 seconds and eventually goes to the DTV splash ads. On the bottom of the screen it says "Press any button to dismiss this screen" Some ads for FIRSTNET built by at&t.
    What are your reactions to this new "feature" I personally don't like it.

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Been happening for months

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not for him. :)

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Sure, they're annoying. But so what? Your DVR is paused. When you're ready to resume watching your recording those ads go away. No big deal in my opinion.

Rich and TheRatPatrol like this.
  5. DougF

DougF New Member

Mar 30, 2018
    I pay for DTV and chose them because they did not throw ads at me when I choose to pause. That has changed now and I am looking at going elsewhere for my viewing. MHO Glad this doesn't bother you.

SledgeHammer likes this.
  6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    It changed awhile ago. And your going to be very hard pressed to find anything not showing you ads

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Humor me. How long do you stare at a paused image? Most people use pause to attend to other needs (bathroom break, answer phone, let dog/cat in/out, grab a snack and beverage, ect.).

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  8. DougF

DougF New Member

Mar 30, 2018
    I liked the Black screen because it did not distract me from doing my computer work. My PC screen is forefront of my 65" tv which is in the background. I paused tv when answering emails etc. now I see movement in the room and it bothers me. Is DTV going to drop their rates now that they have a captive audience watching paid ads? No, this is a new revenue stream and its all about the money, screw the customer

9. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    If I'm viewing any multi media platform today I expect to see promotional material for channels/ programs in their respective family. i.e. ABC/ Capital Cities cross promotes their programming channels (ESPN, Freeform and others). Comcast does the same to cross promote their family of channels as well. No this is not a new revenue stream for AT&T (Paused Screen) however inserting local marketplace ads to a program you're watching is. Inserting local ads started happening 3-5 years ago. Just my 2 cents

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You asked what our reactions are? Doesn't bother me. As stated before, I pause because I'm not watching the TV (for some of the same reasons also mentioned).

If those Ads did bother me and the work I was doing, then I wouldn't have the TV on to begin with so I wouldn't have that distraction.

Rich and TheRatPatrol like this.
  11. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm mostly okay with it as long as it related to content provided to me by DirecTV. For example an ad for a new show, an ad for a feature on my DVR. Those are fine. My fear is eventually they are going to sell ads that will sell other products. What WOULD annoy me would be ads for Alka Seltzer or Tide or Amazon. It would feel like I am paying for the right to be advertised against. But it's not the first time that's happened. I remember the early days of cable when there were quite a few cable channels that were commercial free, and eventually commercials came. Now? Cable channels tend to have MUCH longer commercial breaks than even broadcast TV. And I wouldn't be surprised if at some point you won't be able to unpause until the ad is complete.

12. DougF

DougF New Member

Mar 30, 2018
    I just saw an ad for a national pizza chain on pause. (Seattle WA)

13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I agree with the guy lol. Paying $130 sticker for an HR54+Preferred Xtra and they STILL put ads in the guide and pause screen? I *believe* TVision doesn't have ads in the UI... they don't in the YouTube demo at least. When I looked at it in the store, I was more paying attention to the PQ, so I don't remember if had ads since the Youtube vid is pretty old. Definitely lame to put them in a premium TV service. Not to mention on my LG OLED menus lol.

What's next? Ads with in ads? I'm watching a Dominos commercial and its interrupted in the middle for a laxative ad?

compnurd likes this.
  14. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I'm not a big fan of ads in general however my game room has the HR24 attached to the TV so sometimes the legacy equipment is a blessing they have the bouncing logo when paused. I'm spending more time in the game room lately.

Steveknj likes this.
  15. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    How was he getting a black screen when paused? It's been ads for a long time. Before the ads, it was the scenic pictures. Before that, it was the bouncing logo for years and years. I remember when there was an update to the bouncing logo (perhaps with the new guide) that made the background of the bouncing logo more gray-ish, but it was never just a blank screen that I recall.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I believe others have posted if you're not connected to the internet you don't get those ads. Also as Techguy88 posted just before you, older DVRs don't have the ads.

17. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Cordova, TN
    They just showed up for me yesterday. I wouldn't mind it so much if my pushing the play button actually start my show again. A number of times it kicks back to the channel I was watching before I started my list show.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

18. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    If it's too annoying and you can do without the internet connection, disconnect the internet and the ads go away.

I wasn't using on-demand anyway but did not notice a genie search would throw a nag about the connection missing. I've voluntarily suspended my DirecTV account but seemed there was a workaround for search without the internet. Maybe just ignore it or press ok.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

19. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Unplug the Ethernet cable. They will go away.

I personally couldn’t care less. They don’t bother me in the least bit.

MysteryMan likes this.
  20. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Likewise.