1. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    A couple weeks ago, I bought a replacement laptop because the fan in my old laptop was making noise, and in the process of trying to quiet it, I broke something that drastically impacted external dataspeed (ethernet and USB).

The new laptop is everything that I wanted to replace the old one for. faster CPU (Ryzen5), faster video, More RAM (16 GB vs 8GB), and added today - a 1 TB Samsung SSD vs 1TB 5400RPM harddrive (the new one also had the 1 TB harddrive). Next up on the agenda will be an upgrade to Win10 Pro (vs Home) and the Office 365 Family so we can have offsite backup as well as Office apps.

MAybe sometime I will get a USB3 attached BluRay drive . But the builtin DVD-RW is fine for now.
    Now what to do with the original HD that came with the new laptop - got an external case with USB3 interface and I put it in there.

2. Aug 1, 2020 #2 of 11
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Use the old drive as a backup device.

3. Aug 1, 2020 #3 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Small capacity drives aren't well-suited to use as backup devices.

4. Aug 1, 2020 #4 of 11
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    This is a 1 TB original Hard drive. Should be good for data backup if nothing else.

5. Aug 2, 2020 #5 of 11
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Unfortunately, I'm seriously eyeing one of these to backup my media collection.

6. Aug 2, 2020 #6 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Price is appealing... do we know what is inside of it ? 2 or 3 HDDs ? eSATA would be good addition to its ports

But, the 30 TB SSD from Samsung is more interesting ! Just sell out your decent car [$8k5] and it's yours !

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  7. Aug 2, 2020 #7 of 11
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I am looking at a home NAS (Network Attached Server) for media backup. Have you considered something along that line? Considerably more expensive!

8. Aug 2, 2020 #8 of 11
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I ask this question out of ignorance and hope you can explain it better than a Google search. Why? Why do you feel the need for this?

Rich

9. Aug 2, 2020 #9 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    because NAS is running 24/7, not require your maintenance and accessible for any device connected to your home network: PC, smart TV, smartphones, tablets, notebooks, running Android, Windows, iOS, MacOS, Linux, etc

10. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I've been using a FreeNAS on a home network in a production build since mid-2016, and was testing it to learn the ins-and-outs for year prior to that. Essentially, it's a 27TB fault-tolerant storage device that is hooked up to the network. The primary goal was so that both my mother's laptop and my desktop would back up automatically on a nightly basis while we both slept. However, I also have been utilizing it as a centralized storage of files, including configuring several programs to save their screenshots there and a saved game storage area. It also has been configured to be a Plex media server, thus allowing me to access my media files from my televisions locally as well as my mobile devices remotely.

11. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    In my case, my wife has a gazillion photos (OK, maybe 40,000), both digitally taken and scanned photos from years past. She is leery of cloud storage and doesn't want others to have access to them. SHe also wants a way to share them with her family (8 siblings).
    It's also a new computing toy I get to learn and play with. My son-in-laws best friend runs a Plex server at home and has a gazillion (why do I use that word) movies stored on a NAS for online access. I might try that and get rid of the bins of DVDs I have.
    ...and I'm bored at home.