New policy for contracts?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gpauljr, Dec 14, 2017.

1. gpauljr

gpauljr Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I called to see about lowering my bill and DTV told me that I was under contract for a receiver that had been replaced due to a broken one. I have the protection plan Premier. Is this a new policy? When they replace a broken receiver do they now extend your contract for 2 years? If so, DTV is history with me!

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I do not believe that is correct. Replacing a broken receiver does not add to your contract.
    Adding a receiver to your account does.
    Call this number 800-824-9077 and see what they tell you.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I replaced a broken receiver in Oct. I was out of contract at the time and I still am.

4. gpauljr

gpauljr Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    They filed an escalation after I objected.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did you call the number Jimmie suggested? Or did you talk to the first CSR that picked up the call? That number will get you to Retention or whatever they call it, and you should get to talk to someone that actually knows what they're doing...maybe. What you were told was BS, if you haven't called that number...well, you should.

Rich

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I had this happen over the summer with a C61k replacement. I just chatted online and they fixed it

7. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I cant believe this still happens ,The same thing happened to me 7 years ago when i was with directv. but they eventauiiy corrected the problem.

8. gpauljr

gpauljr Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I did not call any special number but ended up talking to a supervisor. They first agent said it was because I replaced a receiver (that was broken), and I then talked with a supervisor. He couldn't find the cause of me being in contract, hence the escalation. I am getting very unhappy with DTV. I have a fairly large system, 8 DVR's and a little over a year ago they tried to upgrade the system with a Genie (and 7 DVRs), but failed. I know some of you have done it successfully, but for some reason they spent over 10 visits and finally gave up (whole home would not work) so I can not have the latest equipment. My bill shot up to over $250 and they would not give me very many credits probably because my account shows I am still in contract. Am seriously considering leaving after 16 years. Will report what happens with the escalation.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think the "a little over a year ago they tried to upgrade the system with a Genie ( and 7 DVRs ), but failed" triggered a new 24 months contract ( even if the attempt failed and no one realizes that ) .
    You might ask them about that when you call the number I posted earlier. It is the Customer Loyalty department and those people are usually sharper than the ones at the main number.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Rather amazing, isn't it? They just ignore history. And they don't train (or pay) employees very well.

Rich

11. gpauljr

gpauljr Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    They called back today and said that they would reverse my being in contract, not because they admitted they were wrong, but because they were good guys. They offered $60 per month discount if I would accept a 1 year contract. I declined because I want to keep my options open. That still wouldn't match the price (with discounts) that I had a few months ago ($75 off with no contract). I'll call again tomorrow to verify that I am no longer in contract.

Truedowneast likes this.
  12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good, glad you got that straightened out.

Rich

13. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Good to hear it's fixed, but refusing a $60/month discount? Really?

14. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    If he Chooses to leave at any time he can by NOT Accepting the deal

15. Mickstix

Mickstix Legend

Feb 13, 2008
    Called that 800 number above tonight. Got "Stephanie" on the line. Told her my bill just went from 87/mo to 143 due to my 50/12 credit expiring (and communication tax going from 7 to 13$) and she offered 40.00/12 and that was all she could do. So, being as 87$ was already stretching the budget, I opted to cancel. They'll be turning it off tonight at 11:59. Nice girl, but guess she was stuck.. Gonna have to live the OTA antenna and see about giving Xfinity another go I guess.

16. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    As long as you have a decent internet connection you now have a handful of OTT options with more being announced. It would definitely be worth looking at all of your options.

crodrules likes this.
  17. gpauljr

gpauljr Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Rich: You a Yankee fan?

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You could have kept calling that number, you might have gotten someone who would give you more.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ummm, the avatar was a clue...:)?

Rich

20. gpauljr

gpauljr Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Rich: My Dad was Pres of the Yankees for 5 years.

Gabe Paul Jr

studechip likes this.