1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Poll: Most expect driverless cars on the road but fear them

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by phrelin, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Jun 5, 2018 #1 of 19
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    According to a Washington Post article Most people expect driverless cars to become common, and they worry about it:

Most Americans think autonomous cars will be quite common within 15 years, though 74 percent of people say they don’t expect to have one and two-thirds say they wouldn’t want to walk or ride a bicycle anywhere near one.​

For reasons due to age, I'm not worried about 15 years in the future but am worried about now when cars with driver assist systems are being driven by idiots as if they were fully autonomous.

2. Jun 5, 2018 #2 of 19
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would not buy one. I do like all the new things like the back up camera and the side warning systems, the variable speed control and the stop if you do not do so when you should. My daughter has all this on her new SUV.

3. Jun 5, 2018 #3 of 19
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Things like the side warning system and the stop system would give me more confidence as an aging driver. Of course I think I'm a perfect driver, but those things would improve on my sense of perfection. [​IMG]

jimmie57 likes this.
  4. Jun 6, 2018 #4 of 19
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I cannot imagine how anyone could drive a truck like my Acadia without a backup camera. My Acadia doesn't have the side warning thing but I wish it did. Without a doubt, the Acadia is the worst car I've ever driven when it comes to seeing out of it in any direction. Kinda makes me think it was designed just for these wonderful gizmos.

Rich

5. Jun 6, 2018 #5 of 19
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    skynet.jpg

6. Jun 7, 2018 #6 of 19
    AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    I would love to see these companies start waiting lists for those interested...There are many disabled people who are not allowed to drive and this is a game changer for them!

yosoyellobo likes this.
  7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I have no desire whatsoever for a "driverless car" - not until they are so perfect they can deal with motorcycles that are not necessarily following the the conventions of speed limit / correct lane etc. Without the motorcycle rider needing to do anything to THEIR vehicle.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I agree. Seems like a nightmare.

Rich

9. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I could accept an all-driverless car society, but I'm not sure I'd want to be a pedestrian then.
    We drove to San Francisco and back this past week. The really bad drivers on the road were tailgaters, speeders zipping across all four lanes of the freeway, and trucks, who supposedly are limited to 55 mph in California, passing other trucks on a four-lane (two on each side) freeway and slowing down cars that can legally go 65 or 70, although most exceed that speed.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    When I first saw "Truck Speed Limits" decades ago the truckers protested by intentionally passing vehicles driving 54 MPH at 55 MPH. That didn't go over too well. The protests died down after a few months.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Most of the trucks we saw last week were driving well over 55 miles per hour anyway. We saw two CHP cars on our 400-mile trip. Both were parked but not giving out tickets. California would have to hire hundreds more officers to ticket everyone going over 55 in trucks or 70 in cars. I set my cruise control at 72. I passed a lot of trucks but not many cars.

A few years ago on a trip to San Diego someone passed me going well over the 65 mph limit. About two miles later I saw him pulled over by CHP. He passed me again later on and got stopped a second time. Slow learner, but he didn't pass me again...

Driverless cars should ideally have governors to keep them within posted speed limits, but I doubt that will happen.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I can see the efficiencies of having every vehicle (no exceptions) be driverless. I have stopped at far too many stop signs and waited too long at red lights when there was no opposing traffic. Driverless cars could run virtually non-stop with "the system" slowing vehicles to avoid collisions at intersections. Only in high traffic volume areas would traffic need to stop. But improvements could be made to traffic controls without having driverless vehicles.

The transition would be difficult. Millions of non-driverless cars interacting with millions of driverless cars. That is going to be a mess.

I do like the idea of having my car come when I call it. No more looking for a parking space close to work. let the car drop me off at the closest door to my office and go off and find its own space (without me caring if it is 100ft away in the parking lot or a mile away). But it will take a while to get there.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Bill everyone knows you won’t get a ticket if weather is good and everyone just goes the same speed in California. It’s the ones who have to go 5mph faster than everyone else or slaloming in and out of traffic that get pulled over...

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    In the Chicago area the drivers who get the tickets are the ones that the police can catch. Low hanging fruit.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We never get bothered if we keep the speed limit at no more than 10 MPH over the limit. On just about any road, small towns can get kinda picky tho. Budget concerns cause many tickets in our over 500 towns.

Rich

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Usually on highways it’s more than 7 mph over here.

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I saw one car stopped by CHP in over 800 miles of driving last week on our trip to San Francisco. I realize people won't generally get ticketed at 5 miles over the limit; however, at my age, 87, I'm not comfortable with driving at 75 mph. And I will turn off cruise control anytime traffic gets a bit heavy.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A year or so ago there were talks about speed cameras being installed. They would have allowed ~ 12 MPH over the limit. I spend some time everyday on 287 and I never see cops pulling anyone over for anything. The State Troopers on the Garden State Parkway have always seemed to look the other way as long as traffic was moving. NJ is not a police state.

Rich

19. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    It used to be the small towns, particularly in the South, that stopped cars for going two miles over the limit. Interstate highways have helped shrink these stops considerably.