1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Promotion on 8/1/13

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sdpadres, Jul 24, 2013.

1. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    Does anyone have any idea what the new subscriber promotion will be beginning August 1st? Also, in the past have there been any new subscriber promotions tied to the NBA League Pass?

2. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    Yes the new promo will be called the "The Best Offer Ever" however this promo currently going is truly better so act now... The new promo will drop a $10/month discount in 2nd and 3rd years from what I've seen.

And no to my knowledge they've never done a promo tied to NBA ( I've been in the industry 9 years now) This year was first time ever they've done anything tied to MLB and that was only for a brief 6 week period.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh it Sucks.. I cant sign up until October and hate missing this deal....

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    DirecTV is again ignoring their current customers.

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    oh please every company ignores there current customers. If my cable company listened to me we would have 50 more HD channels and be 15 dollars cheaper a month

6. pistolpete52

pistolpete52 AllStar

Sep 3, 2010
    Not really. I called last week to cancel the HD Extra Pack and they sent me over to retention. I was then offered the new customer deal. I asked why I was eligible to be considered a new customer, and they said that they've received a lot of calls from current customers upset that they (we) never get any new deals. So, they're offering the new customer deal to current subs. At least, that's what I was told. Again, it may be which CSR you speak to.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Again, not really. If you read around these forums you will notice that many many folks have gotten even better deals than new subs.

8. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    Thanks everyone for their response. Sounds like I should schedule my appointment prior to 8/1. How far out can I make an appointment? Can I sign up in July and make an installation date in early/mid September?

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    30 days out is the max

10. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    What was the deal? I currently have the HD Extra Pack, i am in my second year of my contract.

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    My point is that existing customers shouldn't have to specifically call in to get deals.

12. pistolpete52

pistolpete52 AllStar

Sep 3, 2010
    I called to cancel the HD Extra Pack. The CSR asked if I was happy with my package. I said yes, but I keep getting bombarded by the local cable company that has a good deal. She then switched me over to retention, and that CSR said that because my 2 yr commitment was completed, I was eligible to get in on the new customer deals. I ended up getting the HR44, free Sunday Ticket, and $60 worth of credits (some were for 3 months, others were for a longer period). I really didn't ask for anything. They're the ones that made the offer to me.

13. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    My point is that existing customers shouldn't have to specifically call in to get deals.

You expect automatic discounts?! Wow you must not understand the capitalist economy you live in then...

By your logic if person "X" gets a discount then everyone should... That make no sense. Then no one would feel like they got a deal because the "deal" would be the standard rate...

And why stop there by your logic to make it fair across the board for all customers make it so that everyone pays one price no special discounts from retention/ new customer offers etc

You pay a discounted rate to get hooked then prices go to the full price when promos end plain and simple.. If you don't like the full price see if retention gives you a discount so you get the warm and fuzzies again if not look elsewhere...

14. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    when does the prmotion that starts on 8/1 end? I want to come back but i'm hoping they will have nba league pass and nfl sunday ticket free like they did with baseball and football earler this year! I hope they star a new promo by september.

15. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    How about this then? Long term customers with good credit could get an automatic reduction in their rate!
    Even a $1 a month would be nice.

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    They don't. Current customers who have the Protection Plan received a e-mail from DirecTV informing them about the Free Equipment Upgrade every two years. One of my HR24-500s was failing and needed replacing. Rather than having it replaced with a refurbished HR24-500 I took advantage of the new offer and was upgraded with a HR34-700 Genie.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We already pay $2 less than new customers in HD, DVR and Whole Home fees.

18. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    How about this then? Long term customers with good credit could get an automatic reduction in their rate!
    Even a $1 a month would be nice.

Maybe a dollar per 6 months or so... And when would that start when promos end?

Take the average bill now when promos end is ballpark $110 with HDDVR 3 rooms and Xtra pack. Then take a customer that has been with DTV 5 years by your wants would then be getting 50% off as their regular monthly price. That margin is where the option for free receiver upgrades etc come in. So let me guess you then will want the big monthly discount for longevity and the free upgrades?! The longevity discounts you want will never happen without reinventing the entire pricing structure... Again someone that wants something without thinking about the full ramifications that would cause

19. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    That's not entirely accurate........ Without complaining involved , existing customers don't get what is being offered to new customers..........

That's the business model.....

SIG

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That's not entirely accurate........ Without complaining involved , existing customers don't get what is being offered to new customers..........

That's the business model.....

SIG
    As I said, if YOU READ these forums, you will see that some folks have gotten very good discounts very comparable to the new subs, unless of course they are lying