1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New recordings not in list, w/0x1088

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by plainsman, Jun 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    HR54/500 with 3Tb Ext HDD ... And new recordings aren't showing up in the list, even after resetting the receiver.

Latest example: nwsl soccer had recorded for about an hour today. Not in the recordings List, but found under list->manage recordings->recording history and so I was able to select and watch it.

I decided to reset the receiver while the program was still recording; I cancelled it, waited thru the reboot, and started recording the rest of the soccer. The 2nd portion showed up in the guide, but not the 1st hour.

I deleted 1 program in the list directly below the soccer (most recent in time prior) and both parts of the soccer now show in the list.

Relatedly: last night I had a recording that *did* show in the list but couldn't select it to watch. I did have to change the sort scheme to alphabetical to find it though.

These issues seem new to 1088, but could just be me hitting some #define'd limit of programs to display ...

Really hoping I don't have to rebuild this 3Tb drive, as I don't have another spare big drive.

2. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Have you checked to see if the recording is showing in Recording History? I agree it is strange the recording isn’t showing up where it should be, but if you really want to find it, looking in Recording History might be the answer.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    It's a bug, I expect it will be fixed soon.

4. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    A bug dTv is aware of? I agree that's what it looks like.

A few more specifics ... The instances I've seen are for series Autorecord entries in the series manager;
    And this happens when the series creates its folder for the first and only instance. It shows up in the list but the folder can't be opened or played.

Accompanying irritations: when there is such a 1-episode series in the list, only the first few most recent recordings are shown in the list, although the disk usage bar shows the correct percentage used.

There are additional issues when in this state but that's enough to be getting on with.

-PM.

5. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    I'm having an issue with my HR54-700. New recordings not showing up on playlist but does show up in playlist on my other boxes. Recordings show up in history as being recorded. I have two HR24's and one HR20. All boxes are set to share lists.

Other oddities, if I play the HR54 stream from any other box there is no volume. After starting the stream at any other location the recording then shows up in the continue watching list on the HR54 but still not in playlist. It will then play normally on HR54. If I go back to a remote location the HR54 stream will play normally with sound. I did a soft reset and all was normal.

I have gone through this routine three times now and a day later no new recordings showing up. Today I did a double reset.

6. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    Adding another observation ... Perhaps the crux of the biscuit:

I have a folder of a particular show, with 39 episodes in it and when having list issues, nothing would be shown below that folder.

To cause this issue I select this folder (and its first entries are shown,) and then hit exit. Hitting list again and the list entries stop with this folder.

To clear the condition I select this folder, scroll to the bottom and then back out with left-arrow, leaving this folder. All my progs are shown.

This became apparent when the box recorded a new episode of this show, moving this folder to the top. Nothing would be shown below it. In prior cases the list stopped with this series' folder.

MMMV.

7. RichardL

RichardL Cool Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I had a similar issue - I was about to record (via Series manager) some auto racing. By chance I decided to actually watch the channel prior to the recording starting. Once it started it did not show in the list, but it did show as being in the process of being recorded (in the part that shows the current program, and progress when you hit pause). It never showed the program or folder in the list, until much later in the day, when I found it showing up.

8. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    I too have noticed this issue on my HR44/500 with 0x1088. My wife and I record House Hunters. We went to watch an episode (we have something like 20+ episodes recorded) and the show wasn't listed at all. I did a search for it and it said that we had the show recorded on the DVR. I was then able to select it to watch it.

It seems that if I press, "0" to sort alphabetically I then see all shows. But, I have not confirmed that all shows are listed. It just seems like it does as of now.

I have to say that I've been using this new UI and my impression so far (now that I'm starting to get used to it) are that it's terrible. As a former software engineer and UI designer I can say that this is a wonderful example of engineers creating a change for the sake of the change and not for any usability reasons. Many tasks now take more steps via the remote, many don't work, many now work differently and many are missing!

I don't see any advantages to the new UI over the old one... well, one. The guide now shows one additional channel on the screen. But, this one, minor improvement is nothing when compared to the ocean of negatives to the new design.

I really doubt that DirecTV will ever go back to the old, usable, UI but I hope they can at least get the new one working as intended soon! I think I read here that this new UI has been out for many months so far (only about a month for me). I think they released it to the public about 8 - 12 months too early. They need a LOT more internal testing before giving it to paying customers who don't have an option to go back to the old UI. At least when Google Voice implemented their new UI (also worse than the old one) they gave the users the option to go back to the legacy UI.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit!
    Larry.

9. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Pretty sure they know about this bug. Lots of posts about it in the DirecTV Forum at forums.att.com

10. tgewin

tgewin Mentor

Jul 21, 2007
    Wow... This is interesting. Thanks! I had been having the common problem. Pressing 0 had been my best workaround*, but today the list stopped at 'G'. Your fix of scrolling through the episodes in the last folder showing seems to have worked. Thankfully it was a folder with just 4 shows! What an annoying and strange bug.

*Why oh why doesn't DirecTV have 0 cycle through recent, ascending then descending, and then alphabetical, ascending the descending?!

11. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    An update ...
    Still happening with software 0x1104.

If you're not finding a recording *in-progress* go to list-->manage recordings-->upcoming recordings, you can select it there for chase-play.

If the recording is *finished* and not in the list, navage to manage recordings-->history and you should be able to select and play it.

By far the most annoying aspect is disappearance of most of my list of recordings. I've isolated this to a couple of folders with recordings in them ... The problem child is usually the one closest in the list to the missing recordings.

Select this folder, and the *back-out* of the folder with the left arrow. Not exit!

In case this gets as far as D*tv most of the issues seem to be recordings with an anytime and all-channels mandate ... Record this wherever, whenever it's broadcast. That, and some kind of database hell ...

PM.

12. grover517

grover517 AllStar DBSTalk Club

Sep 29, 2007
    After years of trouble free operation, our HR44-500 started this beginning with the 1088 update a few weeks ago and has carried over into 1104 which is what we have now. Not only are most of the shows missing from the HR44 where they were recorded but it also randomly seems to omit shows recorded on our other DVR's so appears to affect Whole Home as well. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on which shows appear and which ones don't. Just need to find the easiest way for the wife to navigate around this or it's gonna be hell around here followed by daily calls to D*. Gonna try the above suggestions to see what works best.

13. dmproske

dmproske New Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Yup. Our HR44-500 as well has been doing the same thing for several weeks. Very frustrating and the wife is quickly losing patience with it. I have been a loyal customer of DTV since 2005. Seems things have gone downhill since they merged with ATT (imagine that).