New Remote Function Needed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by richlife69, Jan 20, 2016.

1. richlife69

richlife69 New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Central NC
    After having one of the new RC7x remotes for a few days, it seems to me that despite a better functioning and better laid out remote, Directv left out a significant function.

Looking at the display after pressing "List" , I find a major option missing. It's pretty much "intuitively" obvious once you see it. After seeing a List of current recordings, it's clear that there should a way to immediately access the scheduled future recordings (To Do). The List display is the place to do it and there are two easily implemented options that might be used.

Once List is pressed, at the top of the recordings is "Recently Watched On Demand" (which to me is absolutely worthless and not appropriate for this screen). What IS appropriate would be a new folder for "To Do" -- display the list of recordings that are currently scheduled.

Another possibility would be to add an "option" at the bottom of the screen to press "Enter for To Do list".

Years ago, Directv eliminated a one-button To Do. Because of that, if we need to verify that a great game is properly scheduled to record (after all, the Record my Team Favorites option is sadly unreliable) or if we just can't remember whether or not we scheduled that special program to record, we must go through the Menu and a total of 7 clicks to find out. Despite all the protests from users, this has not been fixed and, frankly, most people finally just gave up on it.

Let's hope Directv will now fix this "missing function" problem on the RC7x (and possibly the RC6x) versions of the remotes.

Rich

2 people like this.
  2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    While to each their own, I never, ever use the To Do list. I set the program to record and forget about it. 99% of the time everything records as expected, the 1% I head to the history to find out why.

I find the recently watched most Convinient for those that like to watch on their mobile devices and finish at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Oh, and what you ask has nothing to do with the type of remote, the shortcut would be in the software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I have my Harmony remote programmed for the 'To Do List'. Slow, but it works.

5. richlife69

richlife69 New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Central NC
    I think your "estimate" that 99% (or more likely 90%) of scheduled programs record properly may be right for regularly scheduled programming, but for "special" or one-time events, my experience is more like 50-70%. I don't watch much "regular" programming, but I do watch sports, special programs on ETV, some movies and various interesting (to me) programs that require I schedule them individually. And for sports programming, Directv allows selection of Favorite teams, which I can choose to have automatically recorded (I do three -- two college and one pro).

Frequently -- MUCH to frequently -- I sit down to watch a recorded show and find it was not recorded. Checking back, I find that it was (and still is) scheduled, but it did not record. After missing a one-time broadcast, it's too late to try to figure out why and History does not always show any "miss".

So while I'm happy that you don't feel the need to look at ToDo, I and others do. Notice I didn't ask that "Recently Watched" be removed, just said I personally have no use for it.

Also, on my last line I said that this change could also apply to the RC6x remotes (because it is a software change). My own expectation is that the RC6x is on the way to being phased out as Genie DVRs replace the older models. Maybe years -- maybe next year. Maybe next year, AT&T will begin replacing all Directv equipment with their own. If so, I hope they will retain this new and excellent remote and/or include a means to quickly access the ToDo list.

2 people like this.
  6. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Watch out, the black helicopters are going to be circling your house soon. DirecTV specifically doesn't want you to have easy access to this function. If they did it would already be there as it has been requested and talked about on this board for years. And they don't want you asking for it either. So quickly run into the woods and hide because they are coming for you.

7. augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    I always just use Menu+7 to get to ToDo. Not sure if you still need to activate it first or not via the keyword search. It may be built-in now. If not...

MENUSC
    Access Smart Search and type in Menusc in keyword search. Press {MENU} followed by a number and you'll jump straight to the menus listed.

Menu 0. Settings
    Menu 1. Movies
    Menu 2. Sports
    Menu 3. TV Shows
    Menu 4. Smart Search
    Menu 5. On Demand
    Menu 6. Playlist
    Menu 7. Manage Recordings
    Menu 8. YouTube
    Menu 9. Pandora

3 people like this.
  8. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I'm like peds48, I just about never use the todo list, in fact I can't remember when I last used it.......

1 person likes this.
  9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I feel no need to constantly monitor the to do list. If I do want to check it, not very often, it's only a few button presses. I can handle a few button presses.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I've heard a lot of reasons to want fast access to the to do list over the years. I haven't found one of them that I find reasonable IMHO. Especially with a genie. You set up your series manager right and leave it alone it will record everything and there's never a need to even see a to do list ever.

And fast access was taken away about eight years ago and had nothing to do with the remote.

It's far harder to surf 50 pages of to do list than it is to jump through the guide to see if something is set to record. The worst part about the to do is people think they know better than the machine and will cause things to never record by trying to "fix" them sometimes instead of letting the DVR do its thing.

And the recently watched icon is excellent if you watch a lot of stuff on a mobile device because it makes it easy to finish watching things on your DVR. If you don't do that you can easily hide that folder forever. (I've got it hidden myself) Go to menu settings whole home and external devices and there's a toggle to turn it on and off.

1 person likes this.
  11. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    When I press list I don't have recently watched on demand on top. But maybe that is cause I set to not remember on demand stuff.

I use the to-do list - but have no issue with the way it works today. I use to-do to check because I record a bunch of shows that are new to us in the US but not necessarily new shows and I have to make sure they are actually set to record. Honestly, I much rather they spent the programming resources on setting the NEW episodes to new to the US or similar - then I wouldn't have to use to-do as much.

Not a bad idea to make to-do easier but not near the top of my to-do list for DirecTv

12. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Although I haven't tried since the last couple of NRs, I've found that cancelling a recording must be done from the to-do list in order to remove potential "tuner conflict" problems.

Trying to cancel or change an upcoming recording from the guide still leaves the original setting in the to-do list and can create a "conflict." Then when that happens, the "offending" recording cannot be removed from the to-do list!

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I just set those to record all and delete them as needed myself. That's just dumb for channels to not rest the is air dates.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Thanks for this.

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've always said LIST>LIST should have been the TODO list shortcut, but MENU 7 works fine now.

And
    RED should be stop.

DASH should be PIP on/off toggle.

:)

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I have never have issues with "one offs" those have always recorded for me since there are set manually. Issues I had is when a program is moved or cancelled but such move is not reflected on the guide. An example of this was one episode of iRobot that it was cancelled because of what happened in France.

The same way you have no use for Recently watched, many folks have no use or little use for the To-Do list. We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

17. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    This 'hot' list should be in a permanent text file embedded in the Channel Banner or in the Menu\Extra section.

18. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Does "MENUSC" work for other HRs or just genies?

19. richlife69

richlife69 New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Central NC
    Ok, augisdad, THANK YOU much. It's a little awkward, but as several had said, to some extent this kind of complaint depends on the individual. I don't really expect Directv (AT&T) will ever give us more direct access to some "key" functions, but this MENUSC will suffi, ce.

Anyone know how long this has been available -- first I've heard of it, but after searching it seems the MENUSC keyword search to activate direct Menu+n access has been around for quite a while -- at least sometime 2014.

20. augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    You're welcome. I tried this on my HR20 and it doesn't seem to work there.