New Roof coming, stay with Directv or go?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cwpomeroy, May 10, 2020.

1. cwpomeroy

cwpomeroy AllStar

Aug 7, 2007
    We’ve been with Directv since the first Sony Directivo came out back in 2002/3 ish. We take the premiere package and have a genie, two additional DVR’s and 3 additional wireless receivers. We have a lot of rooms and TV’s. We just switched to FIOS Internet and that’s working well. In three weeks we’re having a new roof put on the house and it has me considering just switching to FIOS TV and not reinstalling the sat dish.

my question is, how does Directv compare to FIOS Tv these days and is there any reason to stay with DirecTV? We are ATT wireless customers as well and there is some discount we get. But we sub to Netflix, Disney, Amazon Prime and CBS all access as well. No shortage of content.

We want the best picture quality and most channels with the best tech. We only watch the high profile sports but do enjoy watching our regional college football when it’s televised on obscure networks. I also enjoy watching some of the retro channels but we have an Antenna on the roof and can watch that apart from our subscription. We do DVR a lot of shows to watch and in the past had an external drive, but with the genie and two DVRs we never go above 50% of capacity.

Has anyone switched lately or do you see any reason to stay? We hate paying all the extra tv fees because we’re only a family of four and the kids watch mostly streaming stuff. It’s my wife and I that watch the Directv content. We used to love the TiVo innovations and then cutting edge, but it feels like directv is being put out to pasture.

so, stay with directv or just switch to FIOS?

2. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    U mentioned sports but do u sub to NFL ticket or just like to watch college games ?

Fios has a "new" voice remote 4k box called fios 1 .

Also fios being a local provider may include some of those local sub channels .

I'm not sure about PQ some folks say it has gone down recently but I still say DirecTV and fios bring the best picture.

(Never seen google or u verse , so cant compare those but compared to cable cos I say fios and DirecTV are better)

U might find more feedback on dslreports fios TV section..

I believe u can use a tivo with fios

Also you may want to wait until the pandemic "ends/declines" to switch as I read some companies installers are not entering houses .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I have the DirecTV protection plan and they moved my dish multiple times no issues even with a new roof

4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Fios picture quality depends on market. But the overall opinion is it has gone hill Like Comcast quality Unless streaming from ATT TV or YTTV Directv still has the best PQ from a traditional provider

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    horace clark, Rich and dtv757 like this.
  5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    :eek:

:D:D:D

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    lmao

7. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    New installs for fios are very hit or miss right now. With very few exceptions, they will not send a tech inside the house. If you already have internet, they will let you do an install yourself and send you the boxes, I believe.

8. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Yea as I mentioned before . The OP may want to way till pandemic slows down

9. cwpomeroy

cwpomeroy AllStar

Aug 7, 2007
    No NFL ticket and no current TiVo’s. I ditched my last Directivo to get HD. I guess I will reinstall the dish and stay with it for now. Sounds like FIOS PQ is at best same as Directv and not better (if I’m following the emojis correctly). I’m kind of surprised someone isn’t pushing for better PQ in the market.

thanks all!

10. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    If you do decide to re-install the dish, you might want to consider a different mount / method. There are still a few "Slearo-02" mounts, which have been discontinued, floating around (the last ones I ordered were 2+ years ago for $38 each). The basic difference is that it mounts to the underside of two adjacent rafters. Four pilot holes are drilled upwards, into the bottom edge of the rafters, for four 5/16" lag bolts, in a rectangular pattern, two in each rafter, blind holes drilled to the length, of the thread / rafter engagement, not through, to attach the Slearo-02 bracket. In my installation, that length was 3 1/2" screwed into the rafters (the holes are drilled to prevent the lag bolts from splitting the rafters).

This mount has two significant advantages:
    1) Structurally: There is an old saying by structural dynamics guys, "the differential equations are governed by the boundary conditions." Simply, the overall structural stiffness is typically more dependent on how and what the structure is attached to (dish to the mount, and mount to the building) than to the structure itself, because the dishes and mounts are sufficiently (over) designed for the loads, especially ground based versus flight components (the modulus and spring constant of the joint is order(s) less stiff than the structure). Failure, in this case, not the dish and mount being ripped off of the house, but just misalignment from wind loads, mounting surface material deformation / degradation, over the service life, is minimized / effectively eliminated, with this mount. I have mounted every one of my DirecTV dishes myself, never had an installer, from the first RCA system in '94, to the present 5LNBRB, and have never, not once, had to re-align any of them. The rafters, oriented vertically, are what provides structural integrity to the roof, not the roof plywood or OSB, or the fascia, and certainly not sandwiched around the roof or wall covering material. The overturning moment of the 5" x 8" bolt pattern on the bracket, distributed through the truss supports from the arm to the roof or fascia, is vastly inferior to 24" rafter spacing bolt pattern on the Slearo-02. I have steel perforated square tubes bolted to the Slearo-02, to which I bolt the truss supports to, so the only attachments directly to the house, are the four Slearo-02 lag bolts.
    2) F'ing up the house: The most prevalent method of dish mounting utilized, is mounting the dish arm bracket, and arm truss supports directly to the roof, the fascia, or the wall. The holes are plugged with silicone sealant, but will eventually fail to some degree. H2O from snow, rain, pressure washing ... running down the roof or the wall will penetrate around the silicone plug, if not through the hole by the silicone that has deteriorated away, and the H2O will rot the roof or fascia boards, and run down the inside of the walls and cause rot and mold (those who do mount the arm bracket to the roof, do so only over the eaves, never over an interior space). On the Slearo-02, the H2O would have to run down the underside of the rafter, then run vertically up into the lag bolt filled screw hole, and wick laterally into the rafter, the blind holes not providing a path for the H2O to continue (realistically, this doesn't happen).

11. cwpomeroy

cwpomeroy AllStar

Aug 7, 2007
    Just received a letter from DirecTv that we're getting Sunday Ticket Max for free.... We just recently switched to FIOS for internet access and as noted above was thinking about switching. Had me wondering if DirecTV can 'tell' what service provider we have and that it just changed. Since we have internet connected DirecTV boxes, I would assume they can. It would be pretty smart to offer incentives to people that just changed internet providers.....

dtv757 likes this.
  12. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I've been a long time DirecTV subscriber and also just got the free NFL Sunday Ticket letter. I doubt it has anything to do with your internet provider.

cwpomeroy and dtv757 like this.
  13. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    when ever you call in they act like your a long time customer. i had service for a month and they act like i had it for years. it's called upselling. if i had a dime for everytime i had to tell them to tell them no don't want it not interested i could retireo_O. they have your info on file big brother is watching you and they know where you live:D:D:rolleyes:. since this is true i bet the computer auto generates flyers and snail mails em e-mails em:mad: to see who they can get to spend more money..