New Samsung Smart Remote

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by geewiss, Jul 23, 2016.

1. geewiss

geewiss New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    I just purchased a new Samsung Smart TV (UN55KU6300FXZA) and it came with their new smart remote (TM1650A). Upon turning it on it makes you identify your tv provider (for me Directv) and this tv is hooked up to a (C31-700) mini-genie. But for some reason, no matter what I try I cannot get the remote to control the directv functionality. It works fine for the TV but it's almost like the CEC (Anynet+) isn't working but it is enabled by default in the TV.

Has anyone run into this?

net likes this.
  2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've never been able to use my Samsung TV's remotes to control the D* STBs either. I've only tried with 24s altho I do have a 44 under the TV. I've tried a 24-100 and a 24-500 and both would not work with the remote. I also bought a "normal" Samsung remote on eBay that works better than the remote that comes with the TVs.

Rich

net likes this.
  3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I don't think the Samsung remote is supposed via CEC. Instead the tv comes with an IR repeater to send signals to the DirecTV equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Still doesn't work on any of the 24s I've tried. Not a big deal, I like the D* remotes.

Rich

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I tried it on a few customers homes. It works but I much rather prefer the DirecTV remote since it has the dedicated buttons for the DirecTV receivers

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did you try it using 24s or a Genie?

Rich

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It does not matter as all of the DirecTV receivers have the same IR code set.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

8. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I have the 2015 Samsung smart remote. At first I programmed it to control the Genie. I was very disappointed. No List, Menu, Guide buttons etc.
    I stopped using it to control the Genie and in fact turned off CEC control too.

If I turn on the TV wanting only the Netflix or Amazon app, it would turn on the Genie. Not a big deal but it just added confusion.

net likes this.
  9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hmm. I wonder if the problem I had was because the 24s were set to an RF code?

Rich

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    definately, as unlike Genies HDDVRs are either RF or IR but never both at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. geewiss

geewiss New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Ok, so I've played around with this alittle more. This tv I have is "directv ready" evidently, meaning that a mini genie is not needed. All I had to do was directly hook up the TV to my LAN via a RJ45 (wireless does not work) and then there is a source called directv lv dvr or something like that....maybe RVU? I then totally disconnected the mini genie and I can watch directv and use the samsung new smart remote with all directv controls. It's actually pretty sweet....

The only issue seems to be that I do lose some functionality of the "smart menus". Since I'm using the RVU source, the TV doesn't seem to know the recommended shows and the now playing options. Along with the home and recorded shows smart buttons.

net likes this.
  12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, now that I've given it some though it seems like I should have paid more attention to what I was doing. Doesn't matter, I'm perfectly content with the D* remotes.

Rich