New siding, who replaces the dish?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ProfLonghair, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    After a LONG wait, I'll be getting new siding on my house soon. My dish is attached to the side of the house, so I assume it will have to be removed to get the new siding. Who is in charge of putting it back and making sure it's aligned properly?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I would think that all the siding company would do is to put it back up. The realignment would be on your dime.

3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    And if it is something that you can't do yourself and need DirecTV to nail the alignment, it may certainly be at a cost to be borne by you. I don't think that falls under the protection plan.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Its all you, as far as the charges go if you call D* to have it redone.

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    When I had my roof done DirecTV reinstalled & realigned my dish for $50.

Just a recommendation but I wouldn't let the siding guys try to reinstall the dish and make sure you have all the hardware after they take it down.

I was missing a monopole and most of the fasteners. :rolleyes:

Mike

6. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Rats. Anyone in Columbus do cheap realignment? Any easy way to do it yourself sans expensive equipment, and without saying "Can you see anything yet" to the wife inside?

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It's either the expensive meter method, or someone on each end helping with the alignment. Its much easier and cheaper in most cases to pay the service call. The alignment on these newer 3 and 5 LNB Ka/Ku dishes needs to be much more exact than with previous models for best results.

8. NaperDan

NaperDan Legend

Jun 8, 2009
    :)
    It's not that hard if you have another, electronically and geographically literate, person helping you. IOW, not the wife, in most cases.:)

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    SKIP reattaching to the siding.
    The sheathing underneath will not support the dish. Now that you have your wall sealed why void the warranty for TV? USE a pole. Even if you pay the standard $60.00 to $100.00 you will be ahead. The tech who does the pole can also align the dish.

Joe

10. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Just call for a 'relocate ODU'. If you call ahead of the actual work you might be able to schedule it the day after.

11. trekologer

trekologer Legend

Jun 30, 2007
    One option...assuming that the mast is correctly installed (level), mark the the position of the adjustment parts with a marker. Then, as long as the mast (or pole if its going onto a pole) is installed level, the dish just gets put on it and then pointed in the correct destination. You may need a professional to tune it though.

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Good one!

The pole or mast must be plumb. After that, what Trekologer said is how any tech would work. You turn on the signal meter.....the one in munu is fine....
    and just tune the AZ (azimuth=compass direction=horizontal). There may be a little adjustment after that but you will be real close. 90s are good...you can live with 80s...........you loose pic in the 40s on SD but the KA sats and transponders for HD will go sooner.

OR expect to pay DTV.

Joe

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    This is what I plan to do with my move from the carport roof to a pole mount. Mark the dish for north and the pole the same. Then putting the dish aligned with those marks should get me real close. Hopefully, I don't bump the fine tuning adjustments during the move.

14. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    That will do it.

Make sure the pole is "plumb." The original mast may not have been plumb but a tech can hit the sat anyway with good results. The plumb pole just makes hitting the sat easier. Turn on the signal meter for the 101 sat and turn up the volume or use a cell phone. Then check the 103 sat.

You probably won't have to touch anything but the back bolts to remove the rig from the mast.

Use the mast for a flag on the 4th of July.

Joe

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    That's how I did it for my roof. I knew about when the roof work should have been done and called about two weeks before to schedule.

Mike

16. NaperDan

NaperDan Legend

Jun 8, 2009
    A good wrench set and a rubber mallet (not a hammer) should come in handy.

17. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    When I had my siding redone, I had them make a place to mount the dish. Just used some 2X12 mounted to the corner of the house so it was solid. They even framed the mounting location to make it look nice. As long as you mark everything and make sure it is level, you shouldn't have any issues with the signal.

18. Xoxcatpl

Xoxcatpl New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Here's something that worked for me. Set the receiver on signal strength, then set your cordless phone next to the tv on intercom(assuming you have a cordless phone that has an intercom feature). Take the remote to the dish and wiggle it around until you hear the highest frequency tone over the phone. My remote had a speakerphone capability and that helped. It took more time and patience than using a meter, but it was durn sight cheaper and it worked. I've had 95 - 100 readings on all transponders since then.

19. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    I have used a cheap "baby monitor" in the past (late 90's). Was wondering what one does about the monipoles when one mounts the dish on a pole? Are they still needed?

20. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    No.