New sign up deals after 3/4/2009?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by WebTraveler, Mar 3, 2009.

1. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    What is the new sign up deal after 3/4/2009? Does it get better or worse?

I am a Dish customer tired of the local channel dispute with Fisher Broadcasting with a few months to go on my latest contract and wanting out so so badly.

2. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    They usually don't announce the new promotion prior to the date it starts. If I were you, I would sign up today and get your installation scheduled. Depending on activity in your area, it could be a month from now. Then when the new deal comes out, if it's better, cancel your order and reorder it under the new deal.

3. tvman1

tvman1 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Looks like same deal as now just extended until 4/30/09 according to the ad in the mail today.

4. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    I guess I will find out tomorrow.....

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The deal gets worse.

I just got a letter in the mail today from DirecTV "inviting" me to drop my cable TV subscription and become a subscriber. Too bad I did just that 8 years ago. :nono2:

Meanwhile, the "NEW" deal for new subs is CHOICE for $35 a month for the first year instead of $30 which was the old deal. Free install (4 rooms max) as usual. Free HD DVR if you pop for CHOICE XTRA + DVR FEE + HD ACCESS. (Not much of a deal IMHO) And the usual 3 months of HBO/STARZ/SHOWTIME (with activation of CHOICE XTRA-another non-deal).

Note that to get the HD DVR or the free premiums you have to pop for XTRA which is NOT $35/month for the first year. (Clever, eh?)

My favorite little quickie? The letter says "There's no start-up costs, and Standard Professional Installation is included in up to 4 rooms." Meanwhile, the FINE PRINT at the bottom says "Start-up costs, taxes, and other fees may apply." Hmmm. :confused:

PS: You get charged $19.95 S & H but, of course, that's not a "start-up cost". Or is it?

6. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Hmm, it sounds like D* has hired the marketing department from our local Toyota dealer. They were advertising fully-loaded $30K Camry's for $99/mo purchase (not a lease!) with no cash down payment. The fine print revealed it was $99 for the first three months, then $399/mo after that, and it "assumed" a trade-in with at least $10K in "equity value".

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    The new online deal is not as quite as good as the last one. First, the package prices went up $3/mo. Second, the promotional discount is $2 less per month ($21 vs $23). So basically, $60 more the first year.