1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Single Headed LNB for HD, and Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by rook, Jul 8, 2009.

1. rook

rook Cool Member

Jun 24, 2008
    I was getting the "Your reciever has not been able to update its guide information for over an hour" message. So I called Directv and they sent me a technician gratis. He switched out the LNBs and left. The next day the message came back and I called him directly. I wasn't home, but he said he'd install the NEW HD LNB head while I wasn't home and me to call him when I go home and he'd walk me thru the setup

I had the Slimline dish with the multi-headed LNB rack

He installed a new LNB with just one head. I called him and he had me rerun the satellite setup selecting the Slimline 3 this time instead of the Slimline 5 I previously had.

I did the setup and it came back with 3 of the 3 tests coming back bad. He then had me do the reset, 0-2-4-6-8 trick to force a new software update. I did that and reran the satellite setup and it still came back with bad tests (sometime 3 out of 6, sometimes 4 out of 6 bad)

Meanwhile - I've had no problems with the picture or recieving channels, but I haven't had it running long enough to see if I'm still getting the guide error message.

BTW - I was getting the message on both of my HD recievers and the both use B-Band converters

Any ideas on why I'm not passing these system test? (It's the one that test the voltages on each lnb)

2. rook

rook Cool Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Pretty sure this is what he installed -

[​IMG]

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Not sure why the tests aren't passing, but you shouldn't have the guide data problems anymore, as the SL3 LNB pulls guide data from 101 always. You obviously had something blocking your Line-Of-Site to 119, so your old LNB, which tried to pull guide data from there, wasn't able to get a signal, and thus your guide errors.

And he almost certainly did NOT install a SWM LNB. There are conventional and SWM versions of the SL3. He'd have had to change a number of other things to move you to a SWM system.

4. rook

rook Cool Member

Jun 24, 2008
    I'm guessing you are right as
    This requires a power inserter and he never entered my house... hmmmm.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Just to clarify. How many cables are coming from the dish? 1 or 4?

6. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Those tests are odd sometimes. Had them fail, just swap tuner cables and passes.
    Anyway test will fail under 80 or 82.

7. rook

rook Cool Member

Jun 24, 2008
    I'll have to inspect it better when I get home.

What do you mean tests will fail under 80 or 82? Signal strength.
    Most of my strengths are in the 90's. Totally unimpeded view of the sky.

8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Check all individual transponders. Only one and the test will fail.

9. rook

rook Cool Member

Jun 24, 2008
    It is definitely the Slimline 3 without the SWM, it has a 4-Way Multiswitch, but not the SWM

[​IMG]