New Software Download Dumped all Recordings..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ray Lucca, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Ray Lucca

Ray Lucca New Member

Dec 13, 2019
    So went to sleep Wed. night with 55% Free on my HR54, no problem. Turned on Thursday and now 100% Free remaining. All recordings gone, and all Shows to record first run are gone. Called D, took 7 calls with a very scratchy connection, Off-shore of course. Went thru everything and noticed a new software update down loaded over night. Seems to me the "update" dumped all of my recordings and show set-ups to record. They are sending Tech next week, but basically I guess I'm screwed.
    Great Shows, Movies, and Sports gone.. Told the Rep to alert Engineering, sure he will.. Happen to anyone else? Thanx...

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    0x12dc was pushed to my HR54-200 on 10 December. Experienced no issues with this software. Perform a keyword search for CLEARMYBOX on your HR54.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's rare, but sometimes a new software update will wipe old recordings. Usually points to a dying/failing hard drive.

P Smith and compnurd like this.
  4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's happened before

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, used to happen a lot. Rare now.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You have a choice. You probably have an HDD in your 54 that is on the verge of failing. You can get a replacement 54 or put an external drive on your 54. Putting a larger, new drive on externally would be the best choice. If you get a replacement it probably will be a refurbished unit and will have an older HDD in it. Same thing will happen up the road. New drive should give you a few years of good service. If you need help with an eSATA setup...ask us.

Rich

7. mfmathis

mfmathis Mentor

Oct 5, 2007
    Chapmanville...
    Are you using an external hard drive?

compnurd likes this.
  8. sanpablo

sanpablo New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Don't know if this is related to OP but my HR54R1-500
    has rebooted about 5 times in the last 24 hours? There is
    a message that pops up in lower right hand corner "your receiver
    needs to reset" Any ideas?

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Did you check current FW version and date of its update ?

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    In the past, some people have lost all their recordings with an external drive and new releases. Sometimes they return after a day or two.

11. Ray Lucca

Ray Lucca New Member

Dec 13, 2019
    I have an HR54- 500, using Internal Drive only. I did try the over-night Un-plug as suggested, no joy. Tech is supposed to come out tomorrow. Appreciate all of the comments. Probably going to get a 4K Set in the future, that will be the next up-grade I guess. About 6 months ago, Last Pro. Plan service, the Tech replaced the LNB and said I'm 4K ready, just need the new Box.. Thank you..

12. Ray Lucca

Ray Lucca New Member

Dec 13, 2019
    Tech brought a New DVR Box but only had an HR 54-700, I previously had a 500. The new one's guide seems a little quicker which is good. A couple of questions on the Display Settings Set-up:

1. Recording Tips: On or Off?
    2. Video, HDMI Control: On or Off? My set-up is HDMI to an Onkyo Receiver, and HDMI to the Plasma..
    Bar Color: Black , or does it matter??
    3. TV Resolutions: 1080i and 1080P both checked.

Happy New Year, and Thank-you!!!

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    1. Recording Tips: If you're comfortable scheduling recordings use OFF. If not use ON...2. Video, HDMI Control: ON... Bar Color: Personal Preference...3. TV Resolutions: 1080i and 1080p.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How about the Power Saver option? I think the default is "On". You might want to turn that "Off".

Rich

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Why? Unless you leave your tv on all the time there’s no point in having the DVR “on” unless you are using it.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Power saver "on" typically leads to the receiver turning itself off when it detects that "no one is watching". If one turns on the receiver and lets it run without interruption one can have a false indication of inactivity. The receiver turns off even if the TV remains on. I saw this in a restaurant a couple of days ago ... they had two TVs on the wall showing satellite fed cable channels. The receiver on one of the TVs had gone in to standby.

Turning power saver "off" would prevent the receiver from turning off when "no one is watching".

Rich likes this.
  17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The post right after yours explains it well. Shut that option off and the DVR works as usual. Turn it on and odd things happen.

Rich

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    What Odd things happen? I have had power save on, on various DVR's, genies and minis for as long as it has been an option and never had a problem...

All's it does is turn the box off if there is no remote activity after 4 hours

It isnt like Tivos Stand by Mode

bmetelsky likes this.
  19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Well you’d always turn it off in a Resturant. That’s silly.

It requires 4 hours of zero buttons being pressed on a remote before it shuts off. That includes volume buttons. I never have an issue. There was great debate when they added this feature. Everyone was fine with 4 hours. Less was problematic sometimes.

20. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I’ve never had anything odd happen. In fact it does more background stuff when it’s off...

compnurd likes this.