New Software During Daytime?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kenmoo, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenmoo

kenmoo Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    It's 9:30am in California and I'm recording one program and watching The Today Show from this morning. All of a sudden my HR20-700 starts downloading new software 02f4? What's that all about? Why did DirecTV force a software release during normal TV hours?

I've always gotten new software releases around 2am. Is there some National problem they are trying to fix or is this a change to normal procedures?

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    This release started rolling out nationally about 8 days ago. Most people seemed to have gotten it overnight as usual but for those others, for whatever reason, it has come during waking hours. It's possible your box was recording on previous "push" requests from the system, or had a weak signal due to weather at the time or whatever. Also, to be honest, 9:30 a.m. on a weekday is a relative low usage time for most users (obviously not you, at least not today).

But no, this is not some kind of "emergency" push, I don't think.

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    It should have popped up a selection box to ask if you wished to download now or later. Weird that it did it while you were recording something. Had you already deferred it once before?

4. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    I don't know, but my software was updated Tuesday (4/14) around 11 a.m. CST. I have a HR20-100.

Weird thing is that I cannot highlight the software update in my download history. Just skips right over it when I scroll through.

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The software became available to everyone overnight this past Tuesday morning. You may not have received it early in the morning due to a recording or perhaps the receiver being powered off.

At this point, if your receiver does not have the most current version, then it will be periodically asked to update the firmware.

6. benn5325

benn5325 AllStar

Mar 16, 2004
    What was the update for?? I got it on 2 machines and the update screen says that there is now
    Up arrow for 9 favorite channels and a Manage recordings option. Nothing else mentioned.
    I've already had both of those options for a few months now.:confused:

7. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    The funny thing is every with every software rev recently a certain number of machines updated in the middle of the day for come people with no warning and multiple peopel come here to report it. Yet each time, people basically accuse them of lying about it.

8. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Release notes are published on DBSTalk usually shortly after a release begins rolling out. They will contain details of what the software contains in terms of new features and also what's been updated.

You can find the current notes for this release here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=155858

9. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I'm sorry, I missed the part where anyone accused someone else of lying? :confused:

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    [strike]Most[/strike] All reports that I've seen make note of being presented with an option window where you can choose whether or not to download the update. Is this option window not happening for everyone or are you distorting the truth?

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I believe you are misinterpreting what folks are saying .. I don't doubt that people are seeing this, I'm trying to help both them and me understand why. This past updated should have happened normally in the early hours .. For most it seems that is the case .. around 2:30am. There have been exceptions and this could very well be due to recordings @ the allotted download time or perhaps the receiver being powered off. There are people that actually turn there receiver off every day.

By everything I've seen so far on this update, things are going as planned and are going smooth. Clearly there are a few exceptions to that, but remember the last time this happened it was more than a handful that were reporting this.

12. kenmoo

kenmoo Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Seems like it's not a change of policy with DirecTV but rather just an issue that affects a few of us at random when the National release starts. I probably did have the option to delay the download but I had stepped out of the house for a few minutes and when I came back it had already started. The DVR was definitely not recording anything this early am from Midnight to 6am this morning so download was not delayed due to that.

13. L.E.S. Ghoul

L.E.S. Ghoul Mentor

Mar 22, 2009
    I turn my receiver off every night around 3-4am, did I miss it? If my dvr can record a show when it's off why can't it update a firmware?

I'm in NYC with an HR23-700

Thanks!

14. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Your receiver doesn't turn off, actually, it only goes into standby mode when you hit the "off" button. I don't want to speak for him, but I think Doug was referring to having it unplugged. If it's in standby you will receive the update when it's pushed.

15. L.E.S. Ghoul

L.E.S. Ghoul Mentor

Mar 22, 2009
    Thanks, you answered my question.

Did the update his the east and is it available for my receiver model?

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This release is only for the HR20, so no, you didn't miss anything.

17. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    :lol: Good point, I missed that part.

18. L.E.S. Ghoul

L.E.S. Ghoul Mentor

Mar 22, 2009
    Thanks! Does anyone know when it will be available for the HR23-700?

19. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "soon" :lol: [it's a on going joke here]

20. L.E.S. Ghoul

L.E.S. Ghoul Mentor

Mar 22, 2009
    I need some clarification, is this firmware version not compatible with the HR23-700 or are you guys saying it will be soon meaning when it will hit NYC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.