1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Star Trek Series in the Works?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by BobMurdoch, Jun 21, 2004.

1. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1422

I hope they go back to the Next Generation timeline or even better AFTER it. Think of all the new toys (and more fleet battles!)

2. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Star Trek Borg :D

3. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Don't you mean "boring" rather than borg? :lol:

4. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Till Voyager came along the Borg were tough.

5. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    I sure hope this works out. J. Michael Straczynski is an outstanding writer. Babylon 5 is my all time favorite scifi show.

6. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    People want to see the latest in special effects and gadgetry. A new, post "next gen" series would be welcomed by most Trekkies.

7. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    As Spock would say "Fascinating..." I'm a big B5 fan too and that series had an excellent storyline and excellent writing (unfortunately it was very hard to watch because my local channel bounced it around in time slots and when you missed an episode or two, you've missed a lot). Still I expect Enterprise to rebound next year. I still say its 1st two years are better quality than the other Star Treks comparable first 2 years.

8. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    Have to disagree with you on this. :) I was disappointed with the first year. Not disappointed enough to ever miss a show. :D Generally, however, the writing has improved steadily. Hopefully, it will continue to improve. I thought that the Next Gen had the best start.

9. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Paramount makes a killing, in the long run, from ST. They have to keep a show out there, and, considering worldwide rights and its evergreen worldwide reruns rights, they make plenty of money, no matter what the ratings on UPN in the US are for first run.

IMHO, its time for B&B to go. ST:E is just not going anywhere. A good premsie that they just blew on this complex time-travel plot line that just isn't ST.

I would go back to a generation or so before TNG, or even to the TOS era, or just after it.

10. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I know saying this is like pissing in the wind, but no matter what they do...not matter what gadgetry, timeline, actors, babes in cat-suits or gimics they pull, Star Trek is going NO WHERE until they remember what made Star Trek popular in the first place. It wasn't space battles. it wasn't whiz-bang special effects. It wasn't a super-foe seen every week. It wasn't a continuing story-arc requiring people to watch a space-opera. What made Star Trek popular was individual, self-contained, GREAT stories! Morality plays. "What-if" scenarios. Look back at the episodes for ANY Trek series that are held up as examples of a great trek episode, you find that at their core (or even on the surface), they are NOT about any space battle or super-enemy. They are about exploring ourselves.

The episode in TOS that is constantly held as the best ever episode of the 78 was "City on the Edge of Forever". This episode didn't even take place in space! It took place in 1930's New York!

The most popular episodes in TNG were "Yesterday's Enterprise", "The Best of Both Worlds" parts 1 and 2, "Family" (which is a continuation of TBoBW), "Data's Day" and "The Inner Light" (at least these were the eps chosen by fans for the TNG finale weekend). Other great shows included "Lower Decks", "Darmok", "Suddenly Human", "First Contact" (the 4th season episode, not the movie)
    Yesterday's Enterprise has huge space battles and the threat of destruction. But was that what the episode was about? Nope. It was about Tasha Yar and her "empty death" in the "real" time-line. (And her regret for leaving the series in the first season! :))
    TBoBW had lots of fighting and the return of the Borg for the second time ("Neutral Zone" and "Q-Who"...yeah we never really SAW the Borg in NZ). But was the show ABOUT the Borg and the battles? Nope. About Picard and the old Needs of the Many. About Riker and his reluctance to step up.
    Family, Data's Day, Inner Light, First Contact and Lower Decks had NO action what-so-ever! They had some very slight threats of violence to wake up the A.D.D. set. But in all they were 100% story driven. Even "Darmok" which had only slightly more action was completely story driven. None of there episodes required things blowing up or whiz-bang special effects. What made them great was the STORY! And none required anyone watching ANY previous episodes to know what the hell was going on!

I hope the new blood in the series realize this and get things back to what the could be. The downward slide in Treck started with DS9 and the "Dominion Wars" and later Voyager and the LOUSY stories over-all. Some were very good. Enterprise was headed down the same path. Lots of gimicks and lousy stories.

I also want to make it crystal clear that I am not opposed to a good space battle as long as it is a device to tell the story and not the story in itself. Space battes (or battles of any kind) just for the whiz-bang effects with no story to carry them get boring and reperative in a hurry. Really, how often can Enterprise be a smoldering hunk of metal before you get bored of having this ship get pummeled every week anyway?

See ya
    Tony

11. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I agree with you Tony. The story is always what sells me on any scifi story. I hate explosions simply for the sake of explosions. I feel the same way about action movies , I need a good story to keep me hooked. The original Star Wars movies never interested me because they rely to much on a simplistic story about good vs evil , boom ,bang ,boom , boy gets girl, the bad guy blows up .

And I for one, love time travel stories and have always loved them in any movie. They make you think what if I had done this. The way Voyager ended was cool to me. The fact that Amiral Janeway saved the presentday crew and became a hero by sacrificing herself was a good way for her to go out. Of course this won't happen now in the changed history but still a good way to tell the story. I had always suspected time travel would be the way to get back to earth. In the future it seems that time travel will be the main thing the federation will be policing ,not space travel.

Some of my favorite movies involved time travel/ fantasy. The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan starring Lynsay Wagner was a great time travel story. Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour was another cool one. Superman movies rely on some time travel as well. In comic books this is a well used technique. I guess some of us either love time travel or hate it.

12. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    I agree as well. I never really put my finger on why I liked STTNG the best, but Tony nailed it on the head. All of the series that followed were based on a overriding theme that permeated throughout almost every episode. STTNG was different every week, although a few things from previous episodes showed up now and again.

DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise are a lot like soap operas. You never feel closure with any issues because the writers are always throwing a new twist at you. I still like Enterprise and think it's getting treated unfairly by saying it has so few viewers. That's because it's on UPN. Let's syndicate the next Star Trek and get it out to the masses.

13. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I'm not saying the 1st year was great. Perhaps time dulls our memories, but I still remember STNG's first couple of years and they were really bad. Several episodes were just remade original Star Trek (Capt Kirk era) episodes but not as good. Remember Data reshuffling dominoes to restart the warp engine after the whole crew is infected by mind effecting substance? Voyager? - Until 7 of 9 came along it wasn't worth the effort to even turn the TV on. DS9 - not until they got unstuck from the space station and started tooling around some in the Defiant. Its just my opinion, but Enterprise is off to a better start than any of the other Star Treks, except possibly the original.

14. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I disagree about the DS9 comment. I felt that many of the first year and second year stories were very good. Having recently watched these episodes with "new eyes". the quality of the story started a steady decline in direct proportion to the "whiz-bang" factor. They recovered a little towards the end of the seven year run.

I never really warmed up to Voyager. But only one part of me liked 7 of 9.

There were many stinkers in the first two years of TNG. The all-time crappiest episode in TNG (and I still think the worst episode in Trek history) was the writer's strike inspired "Shades of Gray". Treks only "clip show". God what a stinker! It even beat the TOS Space-hippy episode as the crappiest POS in the book! Other real stinkers in the first two seasons were "The Royale", "Code of Honor" , "We'll Always Have Paris" and "The Dauphin"

But there were also some real gems in the first two seasons: "The Measure of a Man" (Data is ordered to become a research instrument). "Loud as a Whisper" (A genetically deaf man loses his "chorus"), "Home Soil" (Different life-form encounter), "Heart of Glory" (Klingons!), "Pen Pals" (Data answers the question "Is anyone out there?"), "Elementary, Dear Data" (A holodek foe threatens E and the concept of sentience), "The Emissary" (Worf's Babe! Alexander conceived). And more importantly, on average, each episode was better that the previous week's episode. Each was self-contained.

Yes Q appeared on TNG 9 times over 7 years (11 if you count Farpoint and All Good Things as two each). But with the exception of some side comments regarding previous appearances and the series finale being built on the series opener, each Q episode was a stand-alone. Q, in reality, was usually only the plot device to set up the morality play or "what if" scenario.

Again, the point is that the new series have forgotten this. They rely on the gimick rather than the story. A viewer's interest cannot be kept for long with no underlying story no matter how flashy the pictures or tight the cat-suit on the space-alien babe.

See ya
    Tony

15. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    What USED TO SELL was self-contained morality plays. Look around you. How many moral people do you see?

What sells now are two things: escapist fantasy where you can put yourself in the role of the hero in your mind or you can be superior to everyone in the whole show. The former is why Stargate SG:1 is still going strong and why DS9, Voy, and TNG did so well for so long. The latter is why "reality shows" are so popular and why Jerry Springer continues to breathe.

Long arcs which make the "government" the bad guy or some nebulous "shadow government" fits with the former because it allows the viewers to collectively avoid feeling responsible about anything because there's always an impossible to define "other" conspiring against them. Babylon 5 was a good example as was The X-Files.

(It also seems to be the default mindset of baby boomer writers who won't let go of Viet Nam and Watergate and keep writing infinite variations on those two themes in every show they can manage to squeeze them in. The "impossible fight you shouldn't have fought in the first place" and "those in charge are the REAL bad guys" are their two favorite concepts in all the world.)

Great crusades against extremely easily to identify as pure evil bad guys also fits with the former. Farscape, various parts of various Trek series, as well as Stargate SG:1.

(Nothing like having a clear enemy as easily identified as evil as say... the Nazis, and being able to kill them without ever having to feel guilt, because guilt is something we try so hard in the modern world to avoid. The Goa'uld are all evil, that's it, kill them all.

Trek of course felt compelled to make us see all the enemies sooner or later as poor wretches we had to kill reluctanlty because begging them to stop being evil from a position of weak-kneed wishy-washiness was as effective as trying to stop a locomotive by screaming, "oh pretty please stop!"

This was a result of the tendency for that paranoid conspiratorial mindset to crop up where ultimately, WE are the bad guys, not the ones bombing the cr*p out of all and sundry without an explanation that holds more water than a Burger King napkin would soak up the Atlantic Ocean.
    )

Nothing in Sci-Fi short of Enterprise fits with the latter except maybe Lexx or Tripping the Rift.

(Nothing like feeling superior to those on television after spending years feeling inferior because they on the tube got to contract sexually transmitted diseases, get caught cheating, get caught half naked on French beaches, get totally stoned over and over with nothing more than a thirty day stint at some cushy retreat, get drunk and drive and get away with it, and get paid outrageous sums of money they blew out faster than they made. Now you can feel supremely wealthy and well heeled because we're going to show people dumber, poorer, and more screwed up than you every night. Now you don't have to feel like making a change because from this perspective, you're damn near G-d.)

Who wants to be preached at any more? Television has for DECADES been preachy. All the favorites of the left mostly.

(Such as...
    1.You're tainted like the Christian concept of Original Sin if you're white, male, Christian, and doing better than welfare income. Being white makes you a racist, being male makes you a misogynist, being Christian makes you a bigot, and being better off than dirt poor makes you a thief. That's all there is to it because we say so, so accept it. Unless you're gay in which case you can be as fabulously wealthy as you like and sing praises all day and no one will say a thing because your preference is superior to all others in the universe.

2. You can't win and for that matter can't even play because the world is run by some ill-defined evil people who keep changing the board and its location and all the rules, hence to play by the rules makes you a sucker so you should do unto others, then split. Don't feel bad if you hurt or cheat someone, because they only got hurt by being in the way of "your rights".

3. All problems can be solved without any real heart and soul, but merely a Cosby-esque joke or empty platitude that allows you to leave the thing unsolved and ignore it so it won't pain your conscience any longer.

4. You are a victim at all times of someone else.

5. The environment is being destroyed simply because you exist so you should sit down and contemplate your navel while singing peace songs and eating vegan. Oops. In Sci-Fi the plants are sentient so you can't even eat those never mind the animals who are also talking. And since #5 holds that "science is bad" you can't even synthesize your food. You just have to be damned to live at the expense of others or die.

6.You should always feel blessed when those we say are in the right take anything from you such as taxes, your starship, or whatever. We say "they" are in the right and that makes anything they do okay no matter how poor or miserable this makes you. Poverty is wealth. Weakness is strength. War is peace. Big Brother loves you.
    )

If I have to be preached at, I can go to church or back to school. I don't need it from my entertainment. I don't need others telling me what morality is when a steady diet of just that has contributed to the country becoming a cess pool of slackers, whiny uber-victims, and angsty misfits who have now so very little familiarity with morality and ethics.

I learned right and wrong from my parents and grandparents. Not from Trek. From Trek and the like I learned paranoia and depression. I'd prefer some escapist fantasy fluff when I'm not dealing with the eternal verities every day in real life, like complying with zoning laws, NEC rules, and so forth while installing satellite TV service for you.

16. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I think he also did Jeremiah which I like.

17. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    Another good show. Anybody know if and when Jeremiah is going to start back up? Seems to me I saw a blurb about the new season, but that was some months ago.

Straczynski also has written a fair number of books and short stories. I have read Analog Science Fiction for about 35 years, and he has had a number of stories published in it. I had never heard of B5 until I just happened to find it on one of the superstations while channel surfing about 1993. I watched it, and noticed his name at the end, and that was enough to get me to watch from then on.

18. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Very good posts Tony and I agree with you. Patrick Stewart said it best one time on the KTLA Morning News. The Star Trek franchise now suffers from what's called "Franchise Fatigue". The only way it will get back on track is to revisit the roots of the original series.

19. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I think it is still up on the sho website, the first season dvd is at my local rental store. I might rent them just for the improved pq :D

20. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    New names for this board:
    Don't Bash Star Trek
    Da Best: Star Trek

or, if you don't like it

Damn Bad Star Trek

:)