New Subscriber, NFL Pack Ending

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by adamspt2, Dec 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. adamspt2

adamspt2 Cool Member

Sep 16, 2008
    So I signed up for DirecTV in the fall, really to get the NFL pack. That will end in December so I'll be changing my programming. The promo with the NFL pack included all the premium channels which was great when they were free, but now I'll need to bring the cost down some on my subscription.

Anything weird I need to know about in changing my subscription? I'm expecting to just log in on the 26th and change things around. Any odd fees or penalties I should know about?

I'm figuring I won't get any of the special deals with the switch, so I'll be paying full dollar for everything, right?

Any help some of you who have been with DirecTV longer is greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I emailed them yesterday to ask about local HD channels for Lexington, KY. They replied they do not have the capacity and did not give any idea of a possible timeline.

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Just log on to your account on the web site or call up and go to a lower package of your choice. There are no charges and it's that easy.

Your "deal" was free Premier for 4 months by paying for Sunday Ticket. Once that deal is up you still have Premier at $104 a month unless you drop down to a lower package, which again is no problem at all.

3. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes you'll pay full price.

I would call for several reasons.
    first of all, your free channels may not end when football does. Usually it's a 4 month deal, so depending on when you signed up, you may have more time, or your free time may have already expired. I'd call and ask.

Secondly, it's good to talk to a rep. Sometimes they'll offer deals. Like you can tell them that you really love the premium movie channels, asnd ask if ther are any promotional deals. Often, if you are willing to pay for HBO, they can usually throw in something like Stars for free. I'm not saying they will, they probably won't, but if you have a friendly person on line, and you act as if you really like certain programming but can't afford it, you might get a deal.

What can you expect? Pick your base choice package, and pay regular full price. You have a 2 yr commitment, so they have no need to offer you anything whatsoever.

And one more thing... You will automatically get renewed for NFL 2009 and be charged for it starting in July. If this is NOT what you want, be sure to cancel.

4. RDH416

RDH416 Legend

Oct 24, 2007
    Exact same response they've given me to emails I have sent them over the past several months. Consistent but very disappointing!

5. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    That is a normal "canned" response no matter what channel you ask about, sometimes even if it set to launch the next day.

However, neither Lexington nor Huntington-Charleston WV (the two largest non-HD markets) are on any DirecTV timetable I have seen.

6. frytzz

frytzz Cool Member

Sep 9, 2008
    I called this week and they had HBO/Cinemax 2 for 1. Their website also offered hbo/showtime 2 for 1....