1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Subscriber Questions Thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sd72667, Aug 25, 2008.

1. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    I am starting a new thread for people who are new to DirecTV that have questions about all the different packages. If there is a thread that exists, please merge. I have called twice today to subscribe to the Premier/NFL Ticket package with the AAA, Refer-a-Friend and Go Green discounts. I asked them to waive the $99 Superfan fee. Both CSR's refused. I told them both I would not subscribe unless it is waived. The first CSR insisted to give me free Showtime for a year, I refused. I asked the second for their supervisor and they put me on hold for a minute but then refused to waive the fee. I even told them my friend had his SF charge waived. The CSR told me it was waived due to him being a subscriber already. I even asked for a monthly discount of $10, but was denied. I'm going to keep trying. Any suggestions?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, if you're already getting the refer-a-friend, AAA and Go Green discounts, then just pay the Superfan fee.

3. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    So just give up and pay the $99? LOL, Then it would cancel out my discounts. There are so many other members here getting their fee waived. Should they have just giving up also?

4. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    I want Free Service for life or I am going to cancel.. Geez people.. If you want something then pay for it.. It really gets me to see people demanding that companies give them freebies. If they give them to you, fine.. But to demand something just really gets to me..

5. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    i say call back tomorrow....u dont wanna be the only "rube" still paying for superfan.

p.s. - no offense to the "rubes" who are paying.

6. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Who is asking for "Free Service for life"? If other customers are getting the fee waived, shouldn't I? skyviewmark1, Did you pay for Superfan? There is no reason DirecTV should be charging extra for NFL HD when (A) You are already paying for NFL Ticket (B) You are already paying for the HD Package. I have gone 41 years without DirecTV, I guess I can stay with Cable:nono:

7. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    I've been with them 6 months. Got the same discounts as you. I paid for SF with the EI package. When the time came to order ST, they threw in the SF. Didn't bitch, beg or yell. I'm sure if you keep calling, you'll get it, or they'll mark you account and you'll never get anything. Sometimes you need to remember, they are running a business. What comes around goes around. If you don't get it free, you can still enjoy the 3-4 games on cable.

8. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Thats kind of like on Seinfeld when Elaine pissed off all the Doctors in NY City when she had that rash and they blacklisted her. I did not give my name, unless they have caller ID. I would like to switch to DirecTV, but $100 can be better spent for something else more important. I'll try a few more times and see how it works out.

9. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006

I suspect DirecTV will be glad to point you toward your local cable provider.

Also praise the CSR's involved for patience and valor in untenable situation.
    :nono2:

10. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yes there is, it's called 'profit' :lol:

11. bryanw3535

bryanw3535 Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    This thread kind of makes me sick.

Why don't you take the (already excessive) discounts you're getting, become a loyal customer and then ask for perks a few years down the road?

I just joined and asked for nothing. Once I'm on their "nice" list and not their "naughty" list I'll respectfully see what they can offer me.

Also, I love how you created this thread for "New Subscriber Questions" but then immediately use it to ask others how you can squeeze more money out of DirecTV.

I'll be surprised if any other new subscriber questions are posted here...

12. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    The Oil companies are also making "profits"

13. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Wow, seems like I struck a nerve with you DirecTV loyal subscribers about trying to save some money. There are other subscribers who are getting the SuperFan fee waived. I guess its ok for them to save a $100 and for me its not ok to ask.

14. mookittybark

mookittybark Cool Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with trying to save a few bucks, I could save a few myself. But come on, this is just being plain "greedy". I mean your already getting the 10$ for 24 months *240 savings* plus the 10$ for 5 *50 savings* plus the go-green 20$ credit plus your getting the new customer offers with the premier pack free for 4 months and any new advance equiptment. I mean there are limits to what a DTV agent can do Im sure. Once you become a new customer and your a "loyal" customer I'm sure you will get some sort of existing promotional with DTV after awhile. But why should a company throw in everything including the kitchen sink for free when they don't even know what kind of customer you are yet? :nono2:

15. bryanw3535

bryanw3535 Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    mookittybark got it right on, but allow me to expand.

First, I'm not a "loyal" DirecTV customer. I've been with them since the beginning of August 2008. In a few years I'll probably be considered loyal (according to their perks program).

Second, the large majority of the people who are getting Superfan for free are loyal customers who have been subscribing to Sunday Ticket (or at least just D* in general) for years.

It's true that some new subscribers are getting it free as well. But that's likely the only perk they're asking for. Like mookittybark said, you're already costing them hundreds of dollars in startup fees (for the dish, the free HDDVR, switches, installation, etc.). But then instead of just using one or two discounts, you try to squeeze hundreds more out of them?

Listen, I'm not a rich guy. I use coupons when I shop at everywhere from the grocery store to the electronics store. What I don't do, however, is try to add coupons together to the point that the retailer just has to roll their eyes and say no. Also, after I hear the first no, I don't take those coupons to the next person on the floor and ask them for the same ridiculous deal.

16. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    If I was costing them hundreds of dollars, like you say, they would not take me as a customer. They will make a profit from me. That's great that you do not "have the balls" to try and save some money. I was not aware that I was not using proper coupon etiquette. LOL. It's not a crime to try to save money.

17. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    I ordered DirecTV this morning and I spoke to Customer Service this afternoon. I asked them if they could waive the SuperFan fee and I was put on hold. After waiting a few minutes the CSR spoke to me about the situation and agreed to waive the fee. Great customer service. This is why I switched from my cable provider.:D

18. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    How does one know what HD DVR receiver will be installed? HR20,HR21, HR22?

19. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    You know when the installer shows up with the box.

20. bryanw3535

bryanw3535 Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    I realize that, and I understand economics. They lose money up front and then hope to keep you as a loyal customer and make a profit over time, but it looks like you're just looking for the best deal and would leave them for another provider if something else came along. After the 24-month commitment is over, that is.

I don't know about other message boards, but it seems like the nice people on this one are a lot more helpful and willing to answer questions when they're treated with respect. Your way of insulting people and then asking a question in the very next post isn't really too smart.

You missed my point. I'm all about saving money, but when you ask for so many freebies that you have to call back several times you're clearly cheating the system. I think "greedy" was the word mookittybark used...

Oh, and congratulations on getting "the deal" that you wanted. You may be $100 richer than me because of it, but my dignity is still in tact.

In the spirit of forgiveness, I'll happily answer this. You'll likely get the HR21, but there's no real guarantee until the installer comes. You'll be happy with any of the receivers.

:welcome_s to DirecTV.