1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to D, a couple of questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bthessel, Aug 29, 2010.

1. bthessel

bthessel AllStar

Oct 26, 2004
    So I switched from E to D and the install was yesterday. I have a couple of questions though.

1. Is it normal for the screen to go black in between each channel when you are surfing up or down? It really slows down flipping when you have to wait each time for the screen to come back so you can see the info about what is on.

2. The installer said I need to call and have them send me a ethernet deca because they don't carry them on the truck. Is this free to get?

3. When you press the info button to see the show info is it possible to see what the next show is without going in to the guide? On E I could just press right on the direction pad on the remote and it would show me the info for the next show.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Check the HDTV settings and if you have native set to ON change it to off and see if that helps.

Did your order include a line item for Internet Connection Kit for $25? If it did then is should have been installed with the rest of your hardware. If not that's a problem where the CSR's aren't asking if the customer needs internet access for stuff like DirecTV on Demand. Normally it would be $25 for the hardware and another $49 for installation, call them up and tell them nobody asked if I wanted it and see if they'll give you the install for free.

You can press the blue button on the remote and get the mini guide and then scroll right to see what's on next. Also as a tip, when you're in the guide if you scroll left and hightlite the channel name/number then press INFO, you'll get a listing of upcoming shows just for that channel.

Also, if you don't like the 30 second slip function you can change it to a skip, go to Smart Search and do a keyword search for 30skip, it won't find anything but now the slip function is a skip, to go back search for 30slip to put it back.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    1: Yes. To speed it up, make sure NATIVE is turned off in setup, and select the native resolution of your display as a static output.
    2: Not free. Its called an Internet connection kit. If it wasnt specified on your work order, you will need to order it. If it was on your order, Directv should send you one. Just call.
    3: No, but you can hit the BLUE mini guide button and surf the guide while watching tv.

4. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    1. If you turn Native off, tuning will be faster but you will compromise PQ.

5. guffy1

guffy1 Legend

Apr 23, 2006
    If you have an HR21 HDDVR as I do it wont matter if you are on native mode or not. It will still be the most ungodly unresponsive DVR ever, native or not. Especially when it comes to channel surfing. You basically cant channel surf with an HR21 unless you are very very patient. I believe the HR22 and 23 are somewhat more responsive, but you'll still see that black screen when trying to channel surf up and down.

Native mode off will definitely speed things up, but channel surfing and overall remote responsiveness will still be awful with an HR21.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Native on or off will not necessarily change picture quality, a lot depends on capabilities of your TV set with regard to that. Setting native off generally will speed up channel changing.

What you probably want to do though is to scroll through the guide rather than simply surf channels using channel up/down. With a mix of HD and SD, signals from at least 4 different satellites (possibly more), and other factors, when you change channels it can take several seconds for everything to come together to display the new channel.

While the HR24 is noticeably faster than earlier models, I don't agree with guffy1 - I've got an HR21, two HR22's and an HR24. The 21's and 22's are about the same.

7. guffy1

guffy1 Legend

Apr 23, 2006
    Well the HR21's and 22's are both ungodly slow and unresponsive then I guess, not just the HR21.

I agree with the guide surfing option. Thats how I do it as opposed to using channel up/down.

Im getting pretty tempted lately to go out and buy an HR24 as I really miss the ability to channel surf using the up/down. Im not under contract though, so before I go out and pay full price Im going to get ahold of retention and whine a little.

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Well for clarity if you have a 1080P HDTV set, its actual "native" display resolution is usually 1080P at 60 frames per sec. or greater in both active display lines and/or frame rate. But with native turned off the highest you can set the DirecTV receiver's internal scaler is for 1080i at 60 fields (30 frames) per sec.

Also be advised that if you chose this setting to try and reduce the HDMI sync up time for changing channels, you will have to keep the screen format setting on "Pillar Box" or else whenever you switch to an SD channel which are virtually all in a 4:3 aspect ratio the DirecTV receiver will automatically stretch the picture to 16:9 since there are no official 1080i or 720P ATSC formats in a 4:3 AR.

I found though that your YMMV by relying on the receiver's pillar-boxing as it does not fully counter-match the stretching. I also noticed that whereas my HR21's internal scaler worked fine for this, my brother who was annoyed by the channel changing delay over HDMI, HR22 performed poorly in comparison to his TV's scaler for some reason. So again YMMV here as well.

9. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Since this has become a native on/off debate, don't forget that D* 480i sucks. I don't care if you have the best external scaler in the world, garbabe in - garbage out says native on won't make any significant difference. The only PQ differences that could come into play would be D* scaling 720p up to 1080i versus your tv (or external scaler) doing it. For me, the negligible difference is not worth the delay while channel surfing, given how few 720p channels there are. Native off - 1080i pillar box is the way to go IMO (for a 1080p tv).

My 2 cents

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    FYI, it's how the TV handles a resolution change that slows down the channel change. In this case, set the output of the DVR to the native resolution of the TV and have Native OFF.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My HR21 is faster than my HR20. YMMV.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But in my case at least it wasn't a PQ problem as DirecTV's SD really sucks anyhow as you say, but an aspect ratio problem because like I said I noticed that my HD-DVR's pillar-box setting did not exactly counter-match the stretch applied by the DirecTV receiver on the 4:3 SD channels when using this configuration.

In fact it slightly overcompensates by squeezing the picture too much resulting in an annoying taller and skinnier objects (the "Stan Laurel" effect) in the image.

Just wanted the OP to be aware that he may notice this as well ...

13. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    :preach:

I've also seen some 4:3 content that's stretched more on the sides than in the middle, hence even more apparent over-compensation when it's squeezed back. Overall, though, I still prefer 1080i pillar box to native on.

14. guffy1

guffy1 Legend

Apr 23, 2006
    I think the bottom line is that if he has anything other than an HR24 the responsiveness is going to be very bad regardless of whether native is on or off.

I don't doubt your HR20 is slower than your HR21 at all. I really dont think anyone can honestly say they have a fast and responsive HR21 though. Maybe a circus clown I suppose :)

15. bthessel

bthessel AllStar

Oct 26, 2004
    The receiver I got installed yesterday is a hr24, the tv is a 5 year old Sony LCD rear projection 720p tv. Turning off native did fix the issue though.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    How do the SD channels look with I assume you have the receiver format set from the remote to Pillar Box?

Unless you want to watch stretch-o-vision on the SD channels that is ... :)

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Perhaps I should have said "My HR21 is not as slow as my HR20." Neither one is as fast as my Adelphia DVR was four years ago. Of course back then there weren't nearly as many HD channels to pick from.

18. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I can't find my red nose! My hr20s and 21s are about the same. Have 3 20s and 2 21s.

19. GreenScrew

GreenScrew Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    I'm also a recent E* convert and this is a awesome tip! Why they would hide this setting like this rather than have it in a setup option is beyond me, but I really appreciate the tip.

Any way to change the guide order so the higher channel number is at the top rather than at the bottom? This is another pet peeve of mine.

Other than a couple quirks like these I'm really liking D* over the E* with the whole home DVR capability and equal programming at a lower cost (even after the intro discount)!

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have a friend that switched and asked the same thing about 30skip, or why it's not in the manual. The guide can't be reordered, but you could use chan up in the guide, it'll wrap back to the 9900 channels (or whatever the last channel you have showing is.)