1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to DirectTV - Need Advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by sb4wvu, Jun 5, 2012.

1. sb4wvu

sb4wvu New Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Hello - I am new to satellite TV and have a Direct TV install planned for next week. What things should I watch out for during installation? e.g., Is there a best location for the dish install (roof vs yard)? Instead of relying on the installer to make all of the decisions, I'm hoping to have enough information to make specific requests during installation if appropriate.

Please help...just want to make sure that the installation is performed in the best possible way.

Thanks.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    A clear view of the sky is more important than if the dish is high or low, as that doesn't make any difference.
    In snow country, it's nice to keep them low so the snow can be cleaned, but I doubt you have much where you are.

3. wmj5

wmj5 Godfather

Aug 26, 2007
    I've been with directv almost 16 yrs. the best place to put a dish is where you can get your hands on it, I don't know why anybody would want a dish on top of the house, unless you would have to dodge a tree or something!

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, LOS is one reason! Also, out of the way means no jarring from errant footballs, baseballs, kids, drunks, pets and vandals. OTOH, there's aesthetics...

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Don't let the tech cross the streams.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    When the installer shows up, take a couple of minutes to walk/talk through everything he plans to do before he starts work. Make sure you both agree on what is to be done, and how it is to be done..

7. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I would only erect a dish on a roof (peak, centerline or over the eave), as a last resort if no other locations are possible.

My thoughts on this are multi-fold, yet for simplistic reasons:
    1. There is always a possibility of a roof leakage no matter how well the dish is secured.
    2. If and when you have any roof work done in the area of the dish it would need to be removed and remounted.
    3. It's easier to clean off a dish due to ice, snow, debri, etc if it's not out of reach.

I much prefer to mount into brick, masonry or wood. As an alternate plan, a well placed pole mount can be just as effective. Again my last resort is a roof, facia, or sofit mount.

Make sure the dish and lines are grounded; as I've gone back and correcting several other installers less than desirable installations for just this reason.