New to Directv coming from Dish...Im scared :D

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Krmnnghia, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1 of 14
    Krmnnghia

Krmnnghia Cool Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Maybe some of the more seasoned Directv guys can assist. Currently I have Dish and use a Single HD DVR run to 6 TV's. The Main TV uses the HDMI for Tuner 1 and all other TV's are getting their SD signal from RG6 lines run through out the house. We absolutely love this setup as we just take the RF remote with us to the basement/Kitchen/bedrooms to watch tuner2 and can watch recorded shows on any tv.

I ordered Directv today as the promo I got through my internet provider was too good to pass up. I got the HD DVR and 1 HD receiver with whole home DVR setup. Will I be lucky enough to run the same setup as I have now with RG6 lines? I read somewhere that the video outputs are all open on these boxes like Dish so I can run component/composite lines if I have to but the RG6 lines are so darn convenient and I could care less about Picture Quality on the secondary TV's. Is there any equipment I should ask for when they install to make my life easier?

I guess I should request this Cinema Kit as well. I did not know Directv offered a sort of free Netflix style movie library. Thanks for the help guys!

2. Aug 2, 2011 #2 of 14
    mattgwyther

mattgwyther Member

May 22, 2007
    Make sure they give you the cinema kit. Depending on the Set Top Box (STB) model, you may or may not receive an RF remote with the receiver, you may need to order that separate.

As far as the RG6 issue, I don't believe any of the current Directv receiver has an RF out. That is easily fixed with a $20 RF modulator that can be picked up at any Radio Shack, Walmart, Lowes, Best Buy, etc. That will take the composite (RCA style) inputs and output it Coax to run to your additional TV. You may also you an RF amp depending on the run of your RG6 lines.

3. Aug 2, 2011 #3 of 14
    Krmnnghia

Krmnnghia Cool Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Yah the Dish Box does not have an RF output either. I have splitters in my basement that all my RG6 lines connect to. I just change the TV's to 82 IF I want to see what is on Tuner 2 and 83 if I want Tuner 1. If I remember correctly, the dish installer told me the video signal is "run back through" the RG6 lines and can be accessed by any tv but only controlled from the 1 remote.

4. Aug 2, 2011 #4 of 14
    TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Actually the Dish box has the dual RF modulators built in one for TV1 and one for TV2 and the channels can be adjusted in the settings menu as I remember it.

The other thing is that the DirecTV HD DVR box is a dual tuner single output. In other words there is no TV two output. Whatever one TV is watching is what would be on all TV sets.

The other gotcha that may or may not impact you is two tuners total on the DirecTV DVR, They can tune two OTA or two Satellite or one of each as long as the total is two.

Not the same as Dishnetwork where the VIP series can tune two sat channels and 1 or two OTA channels.

5. Aug 2, 2011 #5 of 14
    bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yes, I run a cheap RF modulator and it works great with Direct TV.

Also keep in mind, once you have DVR service on your account at $7 per month you do not have to pay extra monthly for additional DVRs....all additional receivers after your first one are $6 a month, doesn't matter if they are SD, SD DVR, HD, or HD DVR. So if you want to add another HD box or HD DVR box down the road your bill will only increase by $6 for each box you add. I'm pretty sure this is cheaper than Dish.

6. Aug 2, 2011 #6 of 14
    Krmnnghia

Krmnnghia Cool Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Yes you are correct. It is one thing we will miss is the 3 tuners. On certain nights we have 3 shows on at once and really liked the option to record them all at once but I can work around that and record shows at a later time in the evening. My hope is to somehow take the Video signal from the HD receiver in the main bedroom and send that to all other spare rooms/basement so that all those TV's can watch shows that have been recorded. It Sounds like RF Modulator will be my only solution. :(

7. Aug 2, 2011 #7 of 14
    bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Did you try to get 2 HD DVRs instead of 1 HD DVR and 1 HD? There isn't any difference in your monthly bill (the 2nd box will still cost $6 whether its HD or HD DVR)....only if you can negotiate the initial upfront lease payment down. That way you could record 4 shows at once.

8. Aug 2, 2011 #8 of 14
    Krmnnghia

Krmnnghia Cool Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Since we were trying to reduce cost I figured we would try just the HD-DVR and the second HD Receiver first.

9. Aug 2, 2011 #9 of 14
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    While you do reduce the initial cost to switch by doing it this way, if it later turns out you don't like it and want the HDDVR, the cost will most likely be $200 instead of the $99 it would be on the initial install.

Monthly lease cost doesn't change with what kind of unit you have as it does with E*.

10. Krmnnghia

Krmnnghia Cool Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Good to know thanks!

11. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Understand that but if you could talk the CSR down to getting a discount on the 2nd HD-DVR instead of the HD receiver it would be a great swap because it wouldn't increase your monthly costs at all and you would have 2 more tuners for DVR use.

12. mattgwyther

mattgwyther Member

May 22, 2007
    A solution for 3 shows at the same time with 2 receivers/DVRs is Directv2PC.

Each Directv DVR can display a show locally through its outputs PLUS stream a show either to a Whole Home DVR client (H2x box) OR a Directv2PC client on a PC/Laptop.

If you have a 3rd show you want to watch that is live simply "record" it and you can start streaming it to a PC/Laptop within seconds.

I agree with the others in the thread the additional $99 at the time of setup will be WELL worth it by having 4 tuners to use at any given time.

13. mattgwyther

mattgwyther Member

May 22, 2007
    There are other options... HDMI splitters, etc... however the RF modulator is by far the most cost effective solution

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    In addition, if you decidde to switch to a second HD DVR later, the 24-month clock would start over again when the new unit is activated. So if three months down the road you added/swapped an HD DVR, you would be under a programming commitment for 24 months from that time, not your initial install date.

By the way, Krmnnghia, Welcome to DirecTV - and to DBSTALK! :welcome_s