1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DAVID A JOHNSON, Oct 11, 2010.

1. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    Hello Folks,

I'm new to Directv. I've posted on here several times the last few weeks about the fact that I was considering Directv. Well, I got installed on Saturday. Got to watch all the games on Sunday with ST. That was awesome. I've got several problems, and I wanted to see if any of you guru's can give me some thoughts. I was a customer of Dish Network for 10 years, so I'm familiar with their terminology. If I misuse terminology, please excuse me. Here is my setup.

Slimline Dish, 8 way splitter in the house, 2 HR24-500's, 3 H24-700's, and 2 SD receivers (D-12's I think), 1 DECA. That's 8 wires taking up 9 tuners plus the DECA. I think that's the underlying problem with my setup according to my installer, but he isn't positive. Here are the problems:

(1) At some points with all 7 receivers powered up and running, one receiver will act like it's not getting a satellite signal. Then, we turn off one receiver, and the one that's "acting up" will come back. Then, we turn all 7 on again, and another one of the HD receivers will "act up".

(2) The Whole Home DVR setup will disconnect periodically then come back then disconnect again. The H24's keep acting like they are schizoid with it. I keep getting those messages about disconnection across the bottom right of the screen.

(3) The DECA is not being recognized. It's acting like it doesn't exist.

My installer says that technically I'm using 9 tuners on an 8 tuner splitter plus the DECA. There in lies the problem. His inexpensive solution, and I'm okay with it, is to put up an old style 18 inch dish to power up the two D-12's. That would take me down to 7 tuners plus the DECA. The expensive solution is to go with a 16 port switch, which Directv wouldn't pay for. I'd have to buy that because Directv would pay him for it.

Can you guru's give me your thoughts on this? Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Forgive my ignorance.

2. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007

You should have been installed from the start with a SWM16, not the SWM8. Your tuner count REQUIRES it for all the boxes to work properly and D* should have installed it that way. You need to call D* and let them know that your order was not properly installed.

3. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    I agree. Is that causing all three of my problems?

4. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yes, you need a SWM16 and you shouldn't have to pay anything for it. That is what you need to make your installation work properly so you should not be required to pay the installer anything for this. Call Direct TV and let them know your installation is not correct.

5. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    If I take the two D-12's out of the mix, will it work then? What the installer wants to do is put up an 18" dish to handle those two. I know it's not how it's "supposed" to work, but my installer says he won't get reimbursed for the cost of the SWM-16. I don't want to cause him any problems. I know these installers don't make much money and work their butts off, so I don't want to screw him out for money. How should I handle?

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No, that still won't work. You have five HD DVRs, that is ten tuners. For your system to work properly with the SWM8 you could have a maximum of four HD DVRs.

7. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    He only has 2 DVRs and 3 HD boxes so that is 7 tuners. It should work if he removes the SD boxes, right?

2 HR24-500's, 3 H24-700's, and 2 SD receivers

8. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    I don't understand why he says he won't get reimbursed for the SWM16. If that's what you need for the installation then that is what you should get for free. Why would he get reimbursed for the SWM8 but not the SWM 16?

I'd call Direct TV and complain about this.

9. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    He says that he only gets fully reimbursed for hooking up 4 receivers. 2 HD and 2 SD. That's why they will reimburse for an 8 and not a 16. The 8 would take care of an HR24, H24, and 2 D-12's + a DECA. That's 5 tuners + a DECA. If that's not true, I need to let him know.

10. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Since you have 24s I'm pretty sure you don't even need the DECA.

11. Mikemok1981

Mikemok1981 AllStar

Jul 9, 2009
    Most likely referring to a broadband deca for internet connection.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Whomever the installation company the tech works for which is making up this arbitrary rule is in the wrong. You need to call DirecTV and explain this situation. Standard MRV installs for 8 or less total tuners call for a SWiMLNB mounted on a SlimLine dish feeding SWM (Green Label) splitters. For more than 8 tuners a SWM-16 module is to be used.

Both of these scenarios are a matter of policy, and in either case the tech is to be reimbursed for any of the equipment used.

13. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Been trying to get a SWM 16 since MRVs Beta test ended. I have 5 HD DVRs and 1 HD receiver. My installer tried everything he could but they would not authorize it so his warehouse would not give him one.

14. pistolpete52

pistolpete52 AllStar

Sep 3, 2010
    And, that is one of the problems that the CEO of Directv talked about last night on "Undercover Boss". The warehouses and installers don't have the right equipment to do their job correctly. Seeing as that show was probably taped months ago, the problem still exists, as do problems with CSR's.

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If he's a third-party retailer that you ordered through, that's true.

Other than having the additional dish on the house, you won't lose anything by having the D12s on the 18" dish, as they gain nothing from SWM/DECA/MRV.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry, I read his post too fast. Correct, if the SD receivers are moved to a second dish everything should work just fine. However, if he ever chooses to upgrade either of those to a DVR, or both of those to HD, then you are back to the problem of needing an SWM-16.

17. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    Just to update you guys on what happened with this, or hasn't happened. My installer was supposed to come back out last night and put up the 2nd Dish to "take care of" the two D-12's. He "no showed". So, I just unhooked those two from the 8 way (yes they were all labeled). BINGO!! All the DVR stuff lit up like a Christmas Tree. All receivers see both DVR's, etc. Works great. Awesome. I've got some more questions, but I'll start a different thread for those. I'm a CPA, and I'm right in the middle of the 10/15 deadline, so don't have much time. Thanks again, guys!!!